One Book Recommendation

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:03 am

:roll: :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:51 am

Tony, you can still go to the site using the signature on Dotsie's post. :roll: :wink:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby pip » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:25 am

The Mad Collector wrote:
pip wrote:My recomendation although its hard to tie myself down to one would be Philip K. Dick - The Man in the High Castle.

Its one of the best trouser leg of time type stories.
:D

Philip K Dick is brilliant even if he was a bit of a Leonard of Quirm when it came to book titles.

Thats half the fun though.:D :D
Got into his books very recently after getting a complete collection for twenty euro.
Just starting Do androids dream of electric sheep and praying the title isn't the best bit.(Although i do love the film)
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:37 am

poohcarrot wrote:Tony, you can still go to the site using the signature on Dotsie's post. :roll: :wink:
I know - hence my rolling eyes emoticon. :wink: I'd deleted the first link but was reluctant to edit Dotsie's as it would have made her post seem like nonsense.

Perhaps Dotsie could edit her post to read [link removed]? :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:40 am

pip wrote:
The Mad Collector wrote:
pip wrote:My recomendation although its hard to tie myself down to one would be Philip K. Dick - The Man in the High Castle.

Philip K Dick is brilliant even if he was a bit of a Leonard of Quirm when it came to book titles.

Got into his books very recently after getting a complete collection for twenty euro.
Just starting Do androids dream of electric sheep and praying the title isn't the best bit.(Although i do love the film)

You should know by know then that 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep' is the book that the movie 'Blade Runner' was based on. I like the book and the movie. Even though they are somewhat different, I have always thought the book to be slightly better. :D
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:50 am

I have a great special edition of Blade Runner and its one of my favourites and always meant to read the book. Sadly took til now to do so.
It's fantastic so far making your point of the book being better valid Tony. :D :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:23 am

Tonyblack wrote:I'd deleted the first link but was reluctant to edit Dotsie's as it would have made her post seem like nonsense.

...and just how would anyone have noticed any difference? :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby raisindot » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:51 am

pip wrote:
The Mad Collector wrote:

If you like "Androids," go for his truly classic "psychedelic period" books: "Eye in the Sky," "The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch" and, most of all, his (in my mind) masterpiece, "UBIK," upon which that new movie about dreaming with Leonardo DiCaprio must partly be based on.
Also recommended are "Dr. Bloodmoney" and "Martian Time Slip." Unfortunately, the quality of Dick's work began to decline in the 1970s, when he began to simply retread the same themes into similar plots.

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:52 am

pip wrote:
The Mad Collector wrote:

... Just starting Do androids dream of electric sheep and praying the title isn't the best bit.(Although i do love the film)

Forget about film - the book's essentially a completely different story with only a quick nod of acknowledgement here and there in the film. The Harrison Ford character's still the lead though and it fills in some confused gaps in the film - unfortunately mostly about Pelmanism :roll: - but you do get the electric sheep bit! :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby The Mad Collector » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:49 pm

Also there is "We Can Remember it for You Wholesale" which when filmed became the much snappier Total Recall
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Dotsie » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:22 pm

Pooh, quit your jibber jabber. Link's gone. Although you'd have to be a bit of a lemon to want to click on it anyway :roll:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby pip » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:22 pm

Well its a while til Snuff so i can work my way through the list.
Cheers guys. :D
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Beautiful Dirt » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:02 pm

If you want to read a book that is strange and unique I would recommend The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall

I picked this up on the Waterstones table of bestsellers/recommended books and I was pleasantly surprised. The first paragraph of the book had me gripped, I was reading it stood up in the shop for ten minutes. The plot is refreshingly difficult to predict - owing to the fact the crux of the story is obscure and at first bewildering. It is currently being screenplayed for film.

Not everyone will like it and at first glance it looks like some sort of Jason Bourne book / film, but veers off into a matrix-style concept. The story is certainly the first of it's kind and I do feel sorry for the poor bugger who has to bring it to screen without the whole idea being wasted and portrayed as ludicrous.

After finishing this book I was confused as to whether I was pissed off or satisfied. I like that mixed feeling, books don't often provoke it and I certainly like being surprised.

Anyway sorry for droning on, I always like to give a synopsis on anything I recommend because taste differs. Hope someone enjoys.

8)
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. H. L. Mencken
Beautiful Dirt

Postby high eight » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:41 pm

pip wrote: Unfortunately, the quality of Dick's work began to decline in the 1970s, when he began to simply retread the same themes into similar plots.

J-I-B

Oh, I dunno - 'Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said' and 'A Scanner Darkly' are quite good (if somewhat weird). After that, though, he began to lose touch with reality and his late stuff like 'Valis' makes my head hurt. :shock:
"If there is any kind of supreme being it is up to all of us to become its moral superior."
high eight

Postby Verns » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:42 pm

Beautiful Dirt wrote:If you want to read a book that is strange and unique I would recommend The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall

It's a cracker! I love that book, as I love any book that makes me think. One of my favourite literary blogs (Me and My Big Mouth if you want to google it) reviewed it recently and summed it up perfectly: 'Take a DVD of Jaws, a Murakami novel and Kid A by Radiohead, duct tape them together and put them in the microwave on full power. This is the book you'll get when it goes ding.' How could anyone resist?

Pooh, it is virtually impossible to pick just one book to recommend. I mean, what criteria should I use? I don't read much science fantasy or science fiction, but I assume (possibly wrongly) that they are popular genres on this forum, so I'll stick to that. There are perhaps a dozen books (other than DW) that I re-read practically every year because they are like saying hello to old friends, and that list contains one science fantasy and one science fiction. Jan's choice is on that list, so I won't pick that one, so my recommendation would be The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein.
Verns

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books