An Updated Discworld Companion

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:11 am

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DISCWORLD-COMPAN ... 3360caf353

$15.69 Oz dollars including postage. You've got 22 hours left to bid. :D
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Jane » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:23 pm

NOOO!!! D: D: D:
I don't have a PayPal/Credit card, and my sister won't order it for me. :(
Even if I offer to reimburse her with cash. :cry:
The rumour spread through the city like: ______.
A) Wildfire
B) Margarine
C) Venereal disease
D) A disco of pain
Jane

Postby pip » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:36 pm

We got these 3V prepay credit cards in ireland the last year or so which can be topped up in a shop for those who can't or won't get a normal one. They are great for the likes of getting stuff across the net. Don't know if OZ has an equivalent yet but might be worth a look. When it comes to second hand books etc it kicks ass
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby pip » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:39 pm

Just did a quick search and found this Jane - http://www.prepaidshop.com.au/
They are available in post offices and 7 elevens.
Hope this helps :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Jane » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:32 pm

You are then ready to order a VISA Gift Card online.

That's like saying "Call here if your phone is broken", isn't it?
I'll have to wait until the weekend to be able to get to the physical Post Office. :( Isn't a prepaid credit card the same as a debit card?
*scratches head*

I think the reason why my sister isn't going to help me collect DW is because she's gone and done a Susan Pevensey! She used to have a bookcase in her room, and it's gotten replaced by a shoe rack! :cry:
A) Wildfire
B) Margarine
C) Venereal disease
D) A disco of pain
Jane

Postby Dotsie » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:32 am

Jane wrote: Isn't a prepaid credit card the same as a debit card?
*scratches head*

No, you charge the credit card up with a set amount - once that's gone, no more can be spent on it without recharging first. That way, you protect yourself from credit card fraud, and from having your bank account emptied (even by yourself :wink: ).

Even if it takes a few days to get one from the Post Office, you don't have to pay immediately when you buy from ebay, so you would still be OK.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby pip » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:34 am

Exactly. Easier to control and not go mad on. :D
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby pip » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:36 am

And that bloody susan was always a problem.
Neil Gaiman wrote a warped short story about her years later.
And big sisters will always cause some forms of pain anyway.
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Jane » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:23 pm

Thanks for the help! I will go and look for cards next time I go shopping.
Hopefully I won't got on an internet buying spree. :P That's what happened to my sister when she turned 18 and could open up the savings account my parents set up for her when she was a kid.

pip wrote:And that bloody susan was always a problem.
Neil Gaiman wrote a warped short story about her years later.
And big sisters will always cause some forms of pain anyway.

My sister doesn't do lipsticks and nylons like Susan, but she's got an addiction to 4inch wedges and A-line skirts. She doesn't read much anymore, and when I try to convert her to DW, she sticks her fingers in her ears and goes "Lalala! Not listening!" or just ignores me. :cry:
A) Wildfire
B) Margarine
C) Venereal disease
D) A disco of pain
Jane

Postby poohcarrot » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:28 pm

I shouldn't worry about trying to convert her. This way you'll always feel smugly superior to her. 8)
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby pip » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:33 pm

Yep Jane,
She's missing out , not you. :D
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby ghostsecurity28 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:43 pm

And in Heather's case, there were sometimes Third Thoughts and Fourth Thoughts, although these were quite difficult to manage and sometimes led her to walk into doors
ghostsecurity28

Postby pip » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:44 am

Hopefully You've managed to get the prepay card thingy by now. :D
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:20 am

I have an idea! :D

For those of you who can't get hold of a Discworld Companion, either because you live in a country where everyone you talk to says "Terry who?" or because you are poor and your parents have fitted a childproof lock on their credit card - all you need to do is simply make your own Discworld Companion. :wink:

Simply read all 37 (or what ever it is) novels and all the short stories, including the Science of Discworld books, Nanny Ogg's Cook Book, the various Discworld Diaries and the Discworld Maps. Make sure you make copious notes about everything that happens, all characters and the places the characters visit. Don't forget to include any publications mentioned, songs, moving pictures, plays, operas and include a section on the flora and fauna to be found on the Disc. Include a section on the nature of Magic on the Disc, how the Unseen University is run, the Guilds and Associations that are in the cities and the structure of the Watch with a sub section on Law and Order.

And there you have it - your very own Discworld Companion. :D

Does the Terry Pratchett/Stephen Briggs version still seem so unobtainable? :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby raisindot » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:07 pm

Tonyblack wrote:....All you need to do is simply make your own Discworld Companion. :wink:

Simply read all 37 (or what ever it is) novels and all the short stories, including the Science of Discworld books, Nanny Ogg's Cook Book, the various Discworld Diaries and the Discworld Maps. Make sure you make copious notes about everything that happens, all characters and the places the characters visit. Don't forget to include any publications mentioned, songs, moving pictures, plays, operas and include a section on the flora and fauna to be found on the Disc. Include a section on the nature of Magic on the Disc, how the Unseen University is run, the Guilds and Associations that are in the cities and the structure of the Watch with a sub section on Law and Order.

And there you have it - your very own Discworld Companion. :D

"And next week, on 'How To Do It,' we'll show you how to solve global warming, how to prove that string theory is true, and how to bring peace to the Middle East!"

:D

J-I-B
raisindot

PreviousNext

Return to Latest books