Most Prized/Interesting TP/DW related offerings?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Most Prized/Interesting TP/DW related offerings?

Postby Ogg » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:20 pm

I've just been reading here about the four compact books that I have (and others haven't) and that got me thinking about what I own that may be of interest. I believe I have versions of the majority TP's ever written apart from 'Once More With Footnotes' and no doubt something else.

I have a rather cool one off SFX magazine's entitled 'The Authorised Terry Pratchett’s Discworld Magazine' from '97 I believe, complete with a double sided poster of the Turtle itself and the Maskerade artwork. which is nice. About ten years ago I found a large print edition of 'Truckers' from 'Lythway Books-Chivers Press' in a second hand shop that I've never heard of or seen since.
Anyone else? :)
"Without music, life would be a mistake" Nietzsche
Ogg

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:34 pm

Great idea for a thread Ogg! :D

This is my prize posession:

It might not look like anything much unless you collect the Discworld stamps, but it's a very rare LBE (Little Brown Envelope) that contains one of each of the first series of stamps, including the rather rare Blue Triangle.

There were only about a dozen of these particular LBEs made and sent to Harper Collins in the US as prizes for the best display of Going Postal in book stores. Sharlene used to own a bookstore and she got one. There are only around three known to still exist.

We were talking about the stamps several years ago and Sharlene mentioned she had some and did I think they were worth anything? In those days I thought it was just a passing gimmick. :lol:

About two or three years ago one of these LBEs was sold on eBay for $400. Lord knows how much one would go for now. :shock:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Ogg » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:18 pm

Impressive TB. I have to admit I havent any of the stamps, for shame :(
Just popped upstairs to check on anything else of interest and found the huuuge 'The Josh Kirby Discworld Portfolio' different to the version rereleased in 2001, 'The Pratchett Portfolio' by Paul Kidby and 'The Art of Discworld' by Paul Kidby...I always ask for TP/DW goodies for birthday's or xmas :)
Ogg

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:27 pm

Is that the Josh Kirby poster book? The one with the covers as really quite large posters? My brother had one of those - and took the posters out and sellotaped them to his wall. :shock:
Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:30 pm

I also have quite a few of the Clarecraft figures and the Member's Guild special shields. To be honest I was never much of a fan of the Clarecraft figures and one of these days I'll get around to flogging them. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby The_Discworldaholic » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:21 pm

You know this is another hard question, what could you prize most, as ive sold all my figures and stamps ive only got adverising stuff and books left really, so i suppose my "Best" would have to be Proofs in spiral bound wrappers of good omens and The unoffical companion to the novels of TP, then i suppose its my 1st of The carpet people, got some original artwork from the animated series of weirdsisters and of course my ltd edition pen with PTerrys name laser etched into it :) but i really prize all my collection, ive got so many its real hard to choose from.
By the way Ogg how large is your collection, there is a thread somewher wher people have posted pics of there collections, it would be interesting to see yours.
The_Discworldaholic

Postby chris.ph » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:22 pm

mines easy a disc world jigsaw that my stepson bought me :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Ogg » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:43 pm

I'm hitting things wth sticks every evening in the pursuit of rhythm but I promise I'll up a few pics before the week's out. Feel a bit silly doing so after looking at your extensive collection 'The_Discworldaholic'...I see where you get your name now, awesome collection mate. :D
Ogg

Postby The_Discworldaholic » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:45 pm

never feel silly about your collection , i know there are people out there with better collections, not nessecarily bigger but better :)
The_Discworldaholic

Postby Catch-up » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:25 pm

Some of my most treasured items are fan art people have sent me. A postcard that a bunch of people signed and sent to me from an event. And definitely some of my stamp items!! :D Tony, I'm drooling over that lbe! :P It is great to know that one is in good hands though! :D

I had a copy of Once More with Footnotes but it got sacrificed to the roofing god. :( :roll: I have one ARC, I believe it's Wintersmith.
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:40 pm

I've got an ARC of Thud!
Tonyblack

Postby Jason » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:34 am

I'm lucky to have a few ARCs and proofs. My favourite was getting a signed UK proof of Nation (only 100 were made).
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Dotsie » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:34 am

I have a copy of Once More With Footnotes, but I don't really think of it as a prized possession. The only things I have that aren't books are a couple of maps and the Gods dice box (Clarecraft I think).

But I'm not really bothered. I'm just in it for the reading. Sorry! :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby chuckie » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:48 pm

I'm with Dotsie here, i've only got the books as well. Just not interested in collecting at all.
chuckie

Postby Sirandilas » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:30 pm

Tucked away safe and sound back in the UK I have one of these

I also have signed copy of the US Hardback Edition of the Fifth Elephant
Sirandilas

Next

Return to The Broken Drum