Unseen Academicals

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:02 pm

I just re-read Mort - Death says he only does personal appearances for wizards and witches and other 'significant deaths' - he'd never be at home if he turned up for everyone... :)

He inspects and analyses the 'nodes' daily and that's how he selects who gets the special recognition - for instance he scheduled both Princess Keli (whom Mort botched of course) and her father for a visit, but also a witch, a very elderly and loving parent and a poisoned harem handmaid entombed alive in a pyramid in the Great Nef?

Also interesting in Mort was what must the 1st mention of the island of Leshp (as per the disputed territory in Jingo) :D But I digress... :P
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:15 pm

Yes he does say that in Mort. However, we see Death turning up for all sorts of people throughout the books and, oddly enough, it seems to make the deaths more acceptable. One occassion that he didn't turn up was after the coachmen got crushed to death in Witches Abroad. That always feels particularly nasty to me because we'd got to know them and then Lilith callously killed them and that was the end of them. If Death had turned up and taken them away it would have made the deaths seem less awful somehow.

As to the Luggage - we know that he swallows people - but do they die? Maybe there's a laundry in there and they are made to work keeping Rincewind's underwear clean. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:30 pm

I've forgotten what the coachmen were originally in WA? Maybe that should have been a job for the Death of Rats perhaps? :roll: And yeah - of course Death does show up for non-magical/royal people all the time in most of the books - as in the plague in Pseudopolis which is often referred to as a busy 'stalking the streets' time for him... :P

As for the Luggage - I'm convinced he's some kind of multi-dimensional service for laundry at the very least - and a faithful one as too as he's always at least protective of his 'owner' - even if he doesn't particularly like them (Rincewind in the earlier days - an uneasy relationship that one :P )
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby chris.ph » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:09 pm

wot about a rugby team detritus and carrot in the pack for a start , rincewind fullback coz they never get dirty anyway,the pateician at scrumhalf coz hes sneaky, leonardo at flyhalf to work out the angles of the penalties and conversions, any two dwarves as props(pit props), one of the guild of seamstresses as hooker :lol: anguana as centre coz she would be good down the middle nanny ogg and esme as flankers as they r as tough as they come, vimes as outside centre dirty player :wink: igor as physio christ ive lost count right two more left
lutze as right back cutting time=quick as shane williams and th archechancellor for a bit of bulk on the wing :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:22 pm

I was thinking about this and think that Carrot should be the ref. He'd probably be the only one who could control that lot.
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:33 pm

dibbler as ref you could bribe him :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby WannabeAngua » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:43 pm

Suppose Cherry and Agnes will do the cheerleading? Goes without saying really, silly me :roll:
There were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in Hell.
- Feet of clay.
WannabeAngua

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:14 pm

WannabeAngua wrote:Suppose Cherry and Agnes will do the cheerleading? Goes without saying really, silly me :roll:
Nah - Angua should be playing. She'd be great. :D
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:19 pm

angua is at centre just my spellings sht
chris.ph

Postby WannabeAngua » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:37 pm

Agnes Nitt you guys :lol:
There were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in Hell.
- Feet of clay.
WannabeAngua

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:41 pm

WannabeAngua wrote:Agnes Nitt you guys :lol:

Doh! :oops: I need to learn to read. :oops: :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:52 pm

its his fault :wink:
chris.ph

Postby WannabeAngua » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:03 pm

Believe me, I saw at once that Angua was out there on the field...and a very wise choice if I may say so.

By the way, my theory is that the miscreants swallowed by the Luggage are spit out on the island where Lost (the series) takes place. Just when I thing I'm getting into it and understand who everyone is, someone new suddenly appears :?
- Feet of clay.
WannabeAngua

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:11 pm

I've never seen Lost, but from what I've heard that's no great loss. :)
Tonyblack

Postby WannabeAngua » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:24 pm

Gave up halfway through the second season, figured I was never going to be able to see it all the way to the end. And now it's off the air here in Norway anyway.

House is a much better time to spend in front of the tv. Love the total arrogance and haughtiness of that man, plus he's rather sexy :wink: :P
- Feet of clay.
WannabeAngua

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum