Thud boardgame

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby poohcarrot » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:45 pm

:lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby raisindot » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:54 pm

poohcarrot wrote::lol:

You might not think it, but that means a lot to me.

:D

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby ghostsecurity28 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:36 pm

raisindot wrote:
Thank you very much! I just bought this. Or I hope I did, assuming my accepted Paypal payment means it's still in stock. I've been looking for one of these for years, and this is the first one I've ever seen in the States. Now all I have to do is fine someone to play it with me...

:)

J-I-B

oooh I am very pleased that you got it !!! let us know if it arrives safelyImage
And in Heather's case, there were sometimes Third Thoughts and Fourth Thoughts, although these were quite difficult to manage and sometimes led her to walk into doors
ghostsecurity28

Postby raisindot » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:44 pm

ghostsecurity28 wrote:oooh I am very pleased that you got it !!! let us know if it arrives safelyImage

I will. I really hope that it really is in very good condition and comes with all the original everything. Description wasn't quite clear on it, but I thought I needed to jump on it fast. I'll post pix of it if anyone wants. Even if I never play it, I think it'll at least be a good investment (since I totally missed out on the Clarecraft figurines when they were affordable!)

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby ghostsecurity28 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:14 pm

they have a mini version which seems available :)
http://www.discworldemporium.com/catalo ... 1&catid=51
And in Heather's case, there were sometimes Third Thoughts and Fourth Thoughts, although these were quite difficult to manage and sometimes led her to walk into doors
ghostsecurity28

Postby raisindot » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:03 pm

ghostsecurity28 wrote:they have a mini version which seems available :)
http://www.discworldemporium.com/catalo ... 1&catid=51

Yeah, I was thinking about getting that originally...but it costs 55 pounds, which is probably close to the $80 the used set cost, so I figured, with shipping it'd almost come out even. Personally, I'd rather have the larger version.

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:24 pm

With the standard commercial set the cardboard boards warp badly around the edges after a while so you may need to press it flat under some heavy weight. A complete collection of Pratchett books should do it :D

Alternatively I saw a wonderful set where somebody had taken their board to a monumental mason (someone who does gravestones) and got them to make a marble version. The pieces look fantastic on polished black marble with the squares cut into it.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby raisindot » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:23 pm

Thanks for the tip, Mad.

So, uh, Mad, you have lots of neighbors living close by? And what do you think about burglar alarms? For or against them? You know, I'd never keep a lethal weapon in my house for protection purposes. How about you? And, just out of curiousity, just how heavy would a customized Thud set be? Would if fit into, say, a large reinforced gym bag?

:D

Again, just tryin' to be conversational.

:twisted:

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:54 pm

I have to have a burglar alarm as a rquirement for my insurance but I reckon the hairtrigger crossbows aimied at all points of entry are probably more effective :D

The Mad Collector

Postby poohcarrot » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:54 pm

I kid you not, but Mad even has a police helicopter hovvering over his house :shock:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby The Mad Collector » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:41 am

poohcarrot wrote:I kid you not, but Mad even has a police helicopter hovvering over his house :shock:

That was actually true when you came to visit, I had forgotton that :D

The Mad Collector

Postby raisindot » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:51 am

The Mad Collector wrote:I have to have a burglar alarm as a rquirement for my insurance but I reckon the hairtrigger crossbows aimied at all points of entry are probably more effective :D

How about those red laser beam triggers that criss cross the room? I've got a friend from the Pink Pussycat Club who I'd love to watch gyrate her way around those things...

:)

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:53 am

It's far cheaper to employ a couple of gargoyles to watch your place. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby raisindot » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:46 pm

Thanks to Ghostsecurity's tip, I'm now probably one of the few native-born Yanks who has a coveteted Thud board.

Not quite as beautiful as the Mad Collector's, but it's still mega-cool. This is the 2001 version. Not sure how it compares to the post Thud! book version. It was sold as "Very Good" condition, but, as far as I'm concerned, the only reason this isn't 'excellent' is that there are a couple of small dings in the corners of the box cover. Everything is looks just about mint. Anyway, for those who are interested, here are pix (sorry that some are a bit blurry):

Amazing, the rules aren't all that complex, although it'd probably be easier to play using a computer simulation just to get used to it.

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:20 am

Nice purchase, it looks in fantastic condition, I hope you find an opponent as the game is good fun. The commercial set was based on the original gaming edition which is the one used for the early Thud tournaments. That was slightly larger and fitted the wooden board I have.

I also have the display case which is where my pieces are normally kept, although I do have the board out at the moment.

The Mad Collector

PreviousNext

Return to Games