Anyone want to collaborate on a fantasy DW pinball game?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Anyone want to collaborate on a fantasy DW pinball game?

Postby raisindot » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:06 pm

As I approach middle age, I've rediscovered my love for pinball, which I hadn't played in decades.

No one but us boomers plays anymore (I cannot get my teenagers even to look at one), but after seeing the games produced in the last twenty years I am amazed at how far the technology has come from the "hit the bumpers, drop down targets" of my youth. These things have displays that tell stories, a zillion ramps and toys to shoot at, at rule sets so complicated you need to actually read the rule set. Most of them are based on movies or TV shows, and a few of them do a great job of transferring some of the ideas into their games.

Anyway, I was thinking that DW would make a perfect theme for a pinball game. Alas, I don't have the drawing skills to create a board, although I have ideas on what areas and tricks it might use. Anyone feel like collaborating the "ideal DW pinball game?" Might be as simple as tossing out ideas for targets, playfield designs, 'missions,' toys to include (imagine The Luggage as a toy to shoot for--hit it, and it opens it mouth to trap a ball).

Anyway, just a thought.

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby poohcarrot » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:22 pm

I loved pinball. The "Kiss" pinball or the "8 ball pool" were my favourites.
Controlling the ball on your flipper then aiming and hitting the card you were going for - bliss! :P
And the noise it made when you got a replay must be one of my favourite noises of all time. :D
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby raisindot » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:42 pm

poohcarrot wrote:I loved pinball. The "Kiss" pinball or the "8 ball pool" were my favourites.
Controlling the ball on your flipper then aiming and hitting the card you were going for - bliss! :P
And the noise it made when you got a replay must be one of my favourite noises of all time. :D

Classic games. And classic sounds. Even the most up to date digital games with the most symphonic, video-game style music tracks and sound effects still use the traditional "knock" sound when you get a replay.

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby mystmoon » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:01 pm

Could have turtle flippers? Doesn't Great A'tuin treat planets like pinballs anyway?
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby raisindot » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:51 pm

mystmoon wrote:Could have turtle flippers? Doesn't Great A'tuin treat planets like pinballs anyway?

Now THAT's a great idea! I was originally thinking of having a discworld pizza style overhead map on the playing field, with cities or continents that would light up when you achieved a certain objective, use Great A'tuin as part of the blackplate imagery. But I like turtle flippers!

:D

Jeff
raisindot

Postby Quark » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:36 am

I'm an amateur game developer... I could try and put something together.

I'm not an artist, however - would anyone else be willing to design? :)
Quark

Postby raisindot » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:18 pm

Quark wrote:I'm an amateur game developer... I could try and put something together.

I'm not an artist, however - would anyone else be willing to design? :)

I've got some general layout ideas and rulesets although I can't draw for *$&#@@. May we can commission Jan? She does great design work!

I think it would be really neat to develop this first as a video simulation, as close to a full functioning "real" pin as possible. Who knows--if it were good enough maybe PTerry would agree to license it for a share of profits and then it could become a commercial product in its video form, perhaps with Stephen Briggs and a couple others providing voicework. If there were enough demand, perhaps someone could develop the "bricks and mortar" version.

One can dream, can't they? :)

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby Quark » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:24 pm

If she doesn't reply to this thread I'll prod her with a PM and see if she's interested. Will also start thinking up some designs of my own - Unseen University magical pinball, anyone? :wink:
Quark

Postby raisindot » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:10 pm

Quark wrote:If she doesn't reply to this thread I'll prod her with a PM and see if she's interested. Will also start thinking up some designs of my own - Unseen University magical pinball, anyone? :wink:

This is already occupying WAY too much of my time, but I've already come out with a basic layout of the playfied and the different shots and toys. I'm also on page 10 of a ruleset. So far, this vision includes:

1. A Ramtops area with three bumpers, each for one of the witches
2. A spinning "Carrot's Sword" that gradually promotes his based on the number of times it goes around
3. A central map of the DW, where each 'city' represents one of 8-9 missions that must be completed and light up when they are. Completing all activates a "Wizard mode"
4. A central "Patrician's Police" at the top of the playfield, which, upon being entered, activates the missions, that are assigned by Vetinari, Lady Margolotta, King Verence, the King of Klatch, Rhys, Diamond and Ridcully
5. Little toy targets representing the Thieves, Assassins, Fools and Seamstresses GUids, which are used as targets during missions
6. A separate area featuring a wobbling "Unseen University Tower" and the Watch House, which are also used during missions
7. A separate "Luggage" toy that opens up to kick back or trap balls for multiballs
8. A separate "Death's Domain" area with a toy target of Death and Binky
9. A left-side "Message Trail" ramp listing the cities on the clax and mail route that delivers bonus scores depending on how long it takes to light up all the cities
10. A right side "Anoia Ramp" which must be hit to complete any of the missions
11. An "Omsaver" feature below the bottom bumpers that, when activated, kicks any drained ball back onto the playfield
12. A large number of "suddenly appearing" dropdown targets representing assigned characters that suddenly popup out of the playfield during certain missions and must be hit (along with Guilds or other toys) to complete a mission
13. At least three different multi-ball modes
14. Missions would incorporate various DW characters, including CMOT Dibbler, Pin and Tulip, Teatime and the Dragon

It looks complicated, but no more complicated than some of the most highly regarded pins out there. Properly laid out, it actually all works pretty well together. With Stephen Briggs doing most of the voices, it could be awesome, especially if it were first prototyped as a video version.

J-I-B
raisindot

Return to Games