New Discworld games?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Quark » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:36 pm

Garry's Mod has a team of ten people who periodically release updates that don't work. And yet, it is quite possibly the greatest sandbox to ever be created. You don't need lots of time and money to make a good game: Just a good idea and a few assorted skills.
Quark

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:46 pm

Welcome llama1996
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby Finomans » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:15 pm

well that's true.
but it's still going too take a lot time
Finomans

Postby Quark » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:55 pm

Something mildly relevant has popped up again: Epic Games, leading developer of Unreal Tournament and Gears of War, has recently released their UDK for free use for non-profitable purposes.

Now, in case you're not sure what I'm on about, I'll explain.

Epic is the driving force behind the Unreal 3 Engine, a game engine used in many popular titles today. Put simply, it looks stunning:

Now, Epic has had a long history of encouraging modding (modifying) in their community, and as such, they release their development tools with the games and put the license for the engine at a paltry price.

However, they've just gone a step further and declared that they are giving away these development tools completely stand-alone - so, in case I need to sum this up: they hand you industry-leading tools, access to their engine, ask for absolutely nothing, and as long as you don't try to make money off anything you make, you don't have to pay anything either. This is great news for people like me.

Now, I've been messing around with the developer kit for the last few days and I already have an idea: Why don't we take it on ourselves to make a Discworld game? Nothing large, of course, but something simple and fun and dedicated by the fans. It wouldn't take as long as your average game because we already have the base code, setting and materials at hand. Ideas? Questions?
Quark

Postby ramtopsman » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:28 am

i would love to see a discworld based game like WOW (world of warcraft) im not a fan of it but if it was DW based i would play it then
ramtopsman

Postby KPDGaskell » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:49 am

Quark, you are truly magnificent. Although I love the source engine I have to agree the unreal engine would be a lot better. Unfortunately the closest I have ever come to something like that is creating Left 4 Dead maps, is the engine anything like the SDK tools?

If you were to plan it I would help in any way I could.
"Note for Americans and other aliens: Milton Keynes is a new city approximately halfway between London and Birmingham. It was built to be modern, efficient, healthy, and, all in all, a pleasant place to live. Many Britons find this amusing." -Good Omens
KPDGaskell

Postby Quark » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:06 pm

The Unreal and Source SDKs are a bit different, but I've used both and I have to say that it doesn't take long to understand one if you use the other. Mainly the difference is where all the buttons are located and how the entities work.
Planning will take a while, especially as I don't really know what we're going to make yet :o . I was thinking something sandbox-y, something like Assassin's Creed but involving the Watch... but I'm sure others can think of better ideas than me :P That would also be a massive project - how about a more arcade/puzzle theme to start with?
Quark

Postby KPDGaskell » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:19 pm

Play as the Librarian, trying to fit all the books in an order that won't cause complete disaster :lol:
"Note for Americans and other aliens: Milton Keynes is a new city approximately halfway between London and Birmingham. It was built to be modern, efficient, healthy, and, all in all, a pleasant place to live. Many Britons find this amusing." -Good Omens
KPDGaskell

Postby Quark » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:27 pm

:lol: Brilliant!

How about each level is a different bookcase, and each case is sorted by a different theme - alphabetical, subject matter... relevance to bananas... don't put any of the black ones next to each other... deliciousness... :wink:
Quark

Postby KPDGaskell » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:32 pm

Earn bananas for the amount of time you have left and spend them in a shop to get powerups and similar items, travel through L-space in minigames and go insane on anyone that say the M word, I’d play something along those lines :)
KPDGaskell

Postby Quark » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:34 pm

I'll certainly have a good think about this... *brings out the pen and paper* :)
Quark

Postby KPDGaskell » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:38 pm

I knew I should of copyrighted these ideas before posting them :evil:
KPDGaskell

Postby Quark » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:49 pm

Actually, on the subject, do we need to discuss any copyright with Terry's agent?
Quark

Postby KPDGaskell » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:38 pm

Possible, as long as we don't make any money off of it then it shouldn't matter but it might be a good idea to contact him just in case.
KPDGaskell

Postby slimsim » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:34 pm

Personally I think something on the lines of the Fable series could work well for a Discworld game, although with a little more interactivity and variety.
slimsim

PreviousNext

Return to Games