(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

SQL Error : 1406 Data too long for column 'post_text' at row

Postby mspanners » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:33 pm

Trying to post a story and getting the above.... any ideas? :?:
mspanners

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:44 pm

Not sure - how long is the story?

Maybe there's a limit to the characters you can enter in a single post. :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby mspanners » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:48 pm

About 70 KB of text....
mspanners

Postby mspanners » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:49 pm

I will try posting it in parts......
mspanners

Postby Nienna » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:57 pm

At row what? :?:
Nienna

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:02 pm

Well that seems to have solved the problem. :D
Tonyblack

Postby mspanners » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:07 pm

Hope it all appears as I wrote it, sorry for any spelling or grammatical errors as I have only had a week to write it in my spare time and I have had problems with my PC too.... had to reinstall windows twice and to top it all I have only just got my land line back today after the cable got damaged... :evil:

Just had a quick look spotted a couple of errors but looks in right order.... hope you enjoy it now I am off to bed been working all night and had to wait up for the BT repair man! See ya all...... :shock:
mspanners

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:33 pm

It's a common default on asp & php forums with very long posts - there's a memory or word count 'limit' to what you can upload and the only remedy is to split the post. I get it a lot on my other forum & that's also when I put up a goodly amount of fanfic mostly.

The other one's an asp board so it may be that's slightly different on here and it also depends on what you're posting as well as I've been slapping on some tables and graphics as well recently and those take up more 'space' too. With straight text on a 1024 wide pixel screen I find the limit's about 10-12 scroll clicks (below the slider and not on the tab) in the post window, which comes out as 6-8 scroll clicks on the actual browser window. As a rule of thumb if your post window scroll slider is 0.3 cm or less then you're reaching the limit and need to start looking for a good place to break it up.

Another option if you're typing the post in Word or whatever then I'm finding that roughly 3 sides of A4 will generally fit into one post window OK. Typing in Arial 9 :roll:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Dotsie » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:52 pm

It seems to have have broken page 3 of that thread though :roll:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby mspanners » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:16 pm

Nothing on page 3,not sure why there are 3 pages anyway as all of the story appears to be there on page 2........... maybe my AOL.......... I tried to connect at 17.00 GMT and AOL will not log on... yet I started up Firefox and the computer logged in ok using AOL BB service .............. I despair at the AOL software sometimes. :evil:
mspanners

Postby chris.ph » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:15 pm

sorry nothing to with that but i had a right mare getting on tonight http errors kept coming up. thought the site had died again :cry:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:35 pm

Me too!
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:51 pm

Maybe Great A'tuin's been at the curry again - so we get tremors?

When I posted in here earlier (IE7) the story thread was showing a 'No posts for this topic' notice if you clicked directly on p.3 or on next from p.2 - at a guess I'd say that the code got screwed when the too long post was being uploaded and then it threw the post counter procedure out when it was re-posted in instalments.

What one techie I know calls a dogs breakfast in other words and yet again showing just how delicate web infrastructure can be when just the tiniest little thing is not recognised... :evil:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:57 pm

That's mspanners posting a story about Leonard de Quirm. He went and broke the board! :lol:

I got that message too Jan. And then my Internet connection broke and I had to phone the BT helpline. :shock:
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:12 pm

i can only just about turn my laptop on so any problems i get i threaten the computer with a large hammer seems to work as well :lol: :wink:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Next

Return to The Broken Drum