Thief of Time Discussion *Spoilers*

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby raisindot » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:41 pm

Exp. Date, the rat wrote:I think i have found a link between this book and Interesting Times. When one of Ponders associates types in 'Why' to Hex he gets the answer 'Because' and wasn't this the answer that Lobsang gets out of the Way?
:lol:

Y'know, I always thought that bit was a parody of a scene from "The General" episode of "The Prisoner," when No. 6 asks the same written question to the General, one of those classic 1960's blinking lights computers, and the machine self-destructs, Star Trek style because it can't answer it.

Jeff in Boston
raisindot

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:05 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
Exp. Date, the rat wrote:I think i have found a link between this book and Interesting Times. When one of Ponders associates types in 'Why' to Hex he gets the answer 'Because' and wasn't this the answer that Lobsang gets out of the Way?

Nah - my mother used to come up with that answer. It's typical mom-ese. :wink:

I tend to agree with tony here, I don't think there's any kind of mystery in that answer. I've heard it many times in movies, tv shows etc.. someone asks why and the other says "because!" when he doesn't know the answer or he simply doesn't want to say it for whatever reasons, or when he only wants the other to stop asking questions, and just leave him alone... Sometimes they also say it as a sort of fatalistic answer, something like "Because that's how it is..."
They use it very often..
CrysaniaMajere

Postby mystmoon » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:09 pm

CrysaniaMajere wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:

Nah - my mother used to come up with that answer. It's typical mom-ese. :wink:

I tend to agree with tony here, I don't think there's any kind of mystery in that answer. I've heard it many times in movies, tv shows etc.. someone asks why and the other says "because!" when he doesn't know the answer or he simply doesn't want to say it for whatever reasons, or when he only wants the other to stop asking questions, and just leave him alone... Sometimes they also say it as a sort of fatalistic answer, something like "Because that's how it is..."
They use it very often..

Although in some places 42 is replacing because.
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby Penfold » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:37 pm

'Why'? :wink:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:51 am

I've just discovered why "Procrastinators" are called procrastinators. 8)

There's an old English proverb;

"Procrastination is the thief of time."
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby mystmoon » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:29 am

I've just looked up procrastination. Theif of Time makes more sense now
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby fords » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:38 pm

Gotta love the punes ;-)
fords

Postby raisindot » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:52 pm

poohcarrot wrote:I've just discovered why "Procrastinators" are called procrastinators. 8)

There's an old English proverb;

"Procrastination is the thief of time."

Excellent catch! Why, I made this very same discovery myself several years ago...on Lspace.

http://www.lspace.org/books/apf/thief-of-time.html

:D

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:39 am

Ta J-I*b I hadn't read that one. :D
poohcarrot

Postby Dotsie » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:03 am

I don't want to sound like a know-it-all, but isn't that saying actually very famous? Maybe it's just particularly popular amongst students (which I seem to have always been in some form).
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:53 am

Dotsie wrote:I don't want to sound like a know-it-all, but isn't that saying actually very famous? Maybe it's just particularly popular amongst students (which I seem to have always been in some form).
I already knew the saying and therefore wasn't surprised at the procrastinators. :)

Tony Hillerman also has a book titled A Thief of Time set on the Navajo Reservation.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby raisindot » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:08 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Tony Hillerman also has a book titled A Thief of Time set on the Navajo Reservation.

Yes, and this is (arguably) Hillerman's best book in a long-running series about two Navajo Reservation cops, one older and more "Americanized," the other younger and more "traditional." who solve various tribes that take place in the southwest. Highly recommended. The U.S. "Mystery" series did a pretty good adaptation of ATOT several years ago.

J-I-B
Last edited by raisindot on Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raisindot

Postby bikkit » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:23 pm

I was going to look up procrastination but I put it off until tomorrow

I'm going to need a swat team, ready to mobilize, street maps covering the whole of florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and A FEZ.
bikkit

Postby Dotsie » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:23 pm

What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:28 pm

Dotsie wrote:I don't want to sound like a know-it-all, but isn't that saying actually very famous? Maybe it's just particularly popular amongst students (which I seem to have always been in some form).

Probably one of those southern sayings which never made it up to the real north. 8)

How about, "I'll go to the foot of my stairs!", or "If ifs and buts were pots and pans there'd be no use for tinkers." Do you know those two sayings?
poohcarrot

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels