Unseen Academicals - Revelation!

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:27 pm

I couldn't believe the amount of double entendres in the book. Back passages and back alleys had more mentions than a Carry-On film. :lol:
Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, You don't NEED to follow ANYBODY! You've got to think for your selves! You're ALL individuals!
Yes! We're all individuals!
Tonyblack
Site Admin

Postby meerkat » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:06 pm

Funny though! Definately a case of "Hello folks, and what about the workers?" :wink:
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Bushman74 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:06 am

Help! I am new to this (forum postings) so I hope this works. I've just finished reading 'Unseen Academicals' which I love BUT I'm confused. What is the relationship between Madame Sharn & Pepe? & is Bengo gay or straight or what?
ihateddsmash
Bushman74

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:40 am

Welcome to the site Bushman74. :D

I'm not sure about Pepe and Madame myself - It seems as if Pepe is a human dwarf rather than a 'real' dwarf and we already know that gender tends to be 'difficult' with dwarfs. I think it's a case of Terry playing games with gender confusion and actually, I don't think it really matters (except to them) what their relationship is.

As to Bengo - I think there's definitely a suggestion that he's probably gay. That doesn't seem to bother anyone else - and why should it? :wink:
Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, You don't NEED to follow ANYBODY! You've got to think for your selves! You're ALL individuals!
Tonyblack
Site Admin

Postby Dotsie » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:08 pm

Hi Bushman74 :D

Like Tony says, this is a book where Terry finally starts to look at gender confusion and homosexuality for real, rather than playing around it like in Monstrous regiment. Whilst it doesn't matter, it's still a valid point for discussion, but I can't remember enough of the book to say any more.

Why do you hate dd smash?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:48 pm

Hi Bushman 74

Professor Bengo is gay. Madame Sharn is a male dwarf dressing up as a woman and is gay. Pepe, I'm not sure about because there doesn't appear to be enough information, but I assume he used to be Madame Sharn's lover but now abstains from sex.
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby chris.ph » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:48 pm

welcome to the site bushman :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Zephyr » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:04 pm

Interesting he would put homosexuality in a sports-themed book.
Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. -Seneca
Zephyr

Postby Penfold » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:07 pm

Hellooo and welcome from me too :)

Bushman74 wrote:Help! I am new to this (forum postings) so I hope this works.
Don't worry, I was new to all this forum (and internet) stuff when I joined but you soon get the hang of it. Just have fun! :lol: If you have any questions, just ask (Not that some of the replies will make any sense tho :wink: )
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography Website

Len Brook Fine Art Prints For Sale @ Photo4me.com
Penfold

Postby Draywoman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:04 pm

Welcome Bushman. No doubt about it, Pterry is playing to stereotypes with a world of women's fashion dominated by gay men/male dwarves. The twist is that these two are far from rarified fashionista's but more streetwise and tricksy.

As for Bengo Macarona, I thought the implication was that he was, ahem, ambidextrous, as it were :oops:. in fact, open to new and exciting experiences of any species or gender...

Ooh, Matron!
Habeus testiculares, habeus cardium et cerebellum
Draywoman

Postby Herron451 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:23 pm

Hi all. Long time reader of the books but new to your forum here. (long time listener, first time caller)
I agree about the professor, and acknowledge that Pepe is both human (dwarf by adoption sort of thing) and a right bastard, but I am almost as confused about his sexual identity as I was about my own once upon a time. Is he bi, gay, or straight, simply acting a part for the purpose of sales?
And regarding Madame Sharn where do you reach the conclusion that she is a cross dresser and not "truly" female? What hints give this away?

It seems strange, but I really want Pepe to be gay, as he is a beautifully stereotype shattering character if he is. Kinda like Willem Defoe in Boondock Saints.
BTW, Draywoman, you have an AWESOME tagline. :D
"Just because someone's a member of an ethnic minority doesn't mean they're not a nasty small-minded little jerk." Carrot (quoting Vimes)
Herron451

Postby poohcarrot » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:44 pm

Hi and welcome Herron

Page 386 Unseen Academicals Hard back.

Pepe: I've never seen such a large cheeseboard. It almost makes celibacy seem worthwhile.
Madame Sharn: Oh, do you think so?
Pepe: No. By the way, have you noticed that very tall wizard giving you the eye, my dear?
Madame Sharn: That's professor Bengo Macarona. (who is gay) Do you think he -
Pepe: Without a shadow of doubt, my dear. I know he's hurt his legs, but I doubt if that would be a problem.

Page 388

Pepe: I am an old bugger. I am a sod.
poohcarrot

Postby Herron451 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:59 pm

Y'know, oddly enough, I read that over a couple of times and just never clicked it fully. lol

And the Bugger statement I took to mean more of the generic vulgarity form of the word, rather than the literal sense. But i guess with everything else it makes more sense literally.
And thank you for the welcome as well
"Just because someone's a member of an ethnic minority doesn't mean they're not a nasty small-minded little jerk." Carrot (quoting Vimes)
Herron451

Postby poohcarrot » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:11 pm

You're welcome for the welcome. :lol:
poohcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:56 pm

Welcome to the site, Herron451! :D
Tonyblack
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels