Spellcheckers

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Spellcheckers

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:53 am

I've got this new computer and I'm having to teach Microsoft Word all the words that I use often and it doesn't know. It's a pain, but we're getting there.

Anyhow, I typed the word "Pratchett" and it offered me "Pritchett". I was curious to find out who or what "Pritchett" meant so I Googled it. Here's what Wikipedia told me:

Wikipedia wrote:Pritchett is a Statutory Town in Baca County, Colorado, United States. The population was 137 at the 2000 census.

So there you go. Word knows all about a one-horse town in Colorado with a tiny population, but doesn't know about one of the best-selling authors in the world. :shock:

It never ceases to amaze me the words that Word knows and doesn't know. It knows "Schwarzenegger" for example, but when you type "Obama" it offers "Osama".

What are your experiences of spellcheckers? :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:10 pm

Gotta.... HATE! spell/grammar checkers :evil:

Especially Microsoft's which although I've tried and tried, over and over to reset insists on going into the default 'language' (and yes I did intend to do the apostrophes that way round) of American English - which I think is itself misleading as it is in fact North American (gods help us all if they ever put South American English in there as an option as well). Writing/RPing Tolkien is twice as much fun as Pterry BTW as I tend to chuck in a fair bit of Sindarin when I'm doing fanfic... :roll:

I guess it's our own fault for provoking the Boston Tea Party and Bill Gates can't help being an American... I suppose! :x And actually I don't mind the spell check so much as the grammar when it comes down to it as I really find that frustrating as I'm constantly being told my perfectly acceptable sentence construction is 'wrong'. I get 'fragments' a lot - which is because I'm creating dramatic effect and deliberately not writing English like it's used in the original place it started! Don't anyone DARE comment about Welsh, Gaelic, Latin, German, Scandinavian or even Norman French 'cos we CHANGED them and MIXED them to make what we're using today - which is still changing of course :evil:

But that's not what I hate most... I write a lot of in depth stuff (surprise huh? :oops: ) and so I do legitimately use the spell/grammar check as it's so difficult to proof/edit your own work - and I use the 'ignore once' (or all the time) button a LOT even then, with it trying to override my purple prose. And it's not even that - I am actually quite a tolerant person most of the time. No - what I really resent is that having used it and gone through the text whilst I'm writing (so as the little red and green wiggly lines come up) and then the whole thing after I'm 'done' of course (wearing the 'ignore' button out as I go) so everything's nice and honed and polished. And virtually perfect [fragment] :roll:

I post it and it looks lovely, so I proudly read it in situ and find...? Yeah right, tons of really howlingly obvious boo-boos all over the shop that the bloody 'aide' hasn't picked up at all... :cry: But I suppose it's better than nothing at all - just :x

Apologia ~ American, Canadian and Australian (possible South African and non-English parts of the UK too) English speakers - I do appreciate your dialects are perfectly valid and indeed beautiful and relevant speech patterns, but you probably get the same things as I do as well. In fact I now believe we are being flogged into madness by MICROSOFT English - this is the latest and most foul mutation of a great language that cannot appreciate nuance and would probably fail to write as effectively or at the same standard as most children leaving Junior School...
We must rebel against this foul literary plague! :twisted:

This post has not been spell/grammar checked and I happily admit to leaving out vital vowels & consonants and forgetting to put commas etc in - so sue me! :lol:
Last edited by Jan Van Quirm on Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby poohbcarrot » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:12 pm

Iv nevver yused a spel chequer. I no how too spel.
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tiffany » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:57 pm

The aol spell checker was rubbish, for email. Just realised you can't get it now anyway, :? When you click on it the page comes up with lots of sites for dictionaries, instead of theirs. :? Oh! Well! No loss. :?
I can & do spell very well. :D Who would like to be turned into a frog? :P
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Dotsie » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:54 pm

The predictive text on my old phone used to refer to my friend Rich as Shag :roll: :lol:

But my spellchecker picks up everything as I use scientific language. I swear it forgets things though.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby chris.ph » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:19 pm

i can normally spell fairly well on my own but sometimes i get mental blanks , i couldnt remember how to spell yesterday :oops: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby chris.ph » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:21 pm

insert soap inbetween spell and yesterday :oops:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Jinx » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:55 am

:lol: Chris that gave me a little laugh. An easy slip though.

I seem to have gotten really bad at spelling lately.

Some words just make predictive text more work than it's worth.
e.g. Card/Case/Care/Base/Bare/Bard/Cape/Acre - 2273
Jinx

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:40 am

At least my current version of Word isn't showing that gods awful animated paperclip.

"Ah! I see you are typing a letter. Would you like help with that?"

NO! GO AWAY AND STOP BOTHERING ME!!!! :evil:
Tonyblack

Postby mspanners » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:00 am

I use tinySpell, it is free and runs in the background so works no matter when you are typing. Set up for US spellings so you may need to replace so Z with S ........
mspanners

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:24 pm

Tonyblack wrote:At least my current version of Word isn't showing that gods awful animated paperclip.

"Ah! I see you are typing a letter. Would you like help with that?"

NO! GO AWAY AND STOP BOTHERING ME!!!! :evil:

*pat's Tony sympathetically* That's the very first thing I do whenever I upgrade Microsoft Office - tell the paper clip to bugger off :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:52 pm

I wish I could find it again, but I always remember seeing a spoof where the paperclip popped up and said - "Ah! I see you are writing a suicide note. Would you like help with that?" :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:41 pm

Something that small and nasty could certainly tip the balance! :wink:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby chris.ph » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:13 pm

i keep telling u lot threaten the blinkin thing with a large hammer :twisted:
chris.ph

Postby Tiffany » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:15 pm

I think that paperclip is rather cute. :lol: I also love the dog on search, on my documents too :lol:
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Next

Return to The Broken Drum