Weather - or not!

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby mystmoon » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:05 pm

Thunder and lightening here. Are you meant to turn off electrical appliances in a storm like this?
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:28 pm

You should be Ok if you have anti-surge plugs fitted, even if not you should still be Ok unless it strikes very close. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Jane » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:07 pm

Hey, if you get struck, you might acquire magical powers! I think that was off some movie...
The rumour spread through the city like: ______.
A) Wildfire
B) Margarine
C) Venereal disease
D) A disco of pain
Jane

Postby Batty » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:10 pm

Cos of these winds our driveway is covered with figs. If the birds start pooping all over Clacton more than usual - don't blame us!

Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:12 pm

Batty wrote:Cos of these winds our driveway is covered with figs. If the birds start pooping all over Clacton more than usual - don't blame us!

So you can't say you don't give a fig then Batty. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Batty » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:09 pm

Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:33 pm

Did you see that we had a direct hit on our fence less than 24 hours after our party? LOL it scared the poo outta me. Our "shack" has three sides and this was directly behind me. I saw all the trees get Real Bright and then POW!!!

I hobbled out as quick as I could and there was Steam coming from the midst of the foliage. :shock:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Batty » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:22 pm

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:I hobbled out as quick as I could and there was Steam coming from the midst of the foliage. :shock:

Getting caught short on a cold night has that effect ... or so I'm told!
Batty

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:12 pm

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:Did you see that we had a direct hit on our fence less than 24 hours after our party? LOL it scared the poo outta me. Our "shack" has three sides and this was directly behind me. I saw all the trees get Real Bright and then POW!!!

I hobbled out as quick as I could and there was Steam coming from the midst of the foliage. :shock:
Was someone boiling a kettle.Image :lol:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby chris.ph » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:52 pm

the oak in my great aunties garden in studham exploded when it was hit by lightning the sap and liquid inside the tree instantly boils and has nowhere to expand so it blows up :shock: :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby swreader » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:15 pm

It hasn't actually rained at my house yet, but THE MONSOONS ARE HERE! :D
The weather site I look at has thunderstorms showing for today and the next four days.

Today
Partly cloudy with slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then mostly cloudy with chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs 102 to 107. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming northwest in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation 40 percent.

Tonight
Mostly cloudy. Chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening...then slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Lows 75 to 81. Southeast wind 5 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation 50 percent

Am waiting breathlessly for our first real thunderstorm/gullywasher here at the complex. Heard thunder yesterday, but only rained in the mountains. Since we get half our yearly rainfall from now until into September, I will put up with my aching knee and keep praying for Rain!.
swreader

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:30 am

Today was hot! And humid!

Cast your mince pies over these figures for Japan. Today was the hottest July 22nd ever. Beating the last record by 4 degrees FFS! :shock:

"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:26 pm

EEEEP! :shock:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby swreader » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:09 pm

Night before last we had a major monsoon storm (the first major one this year and one of the worst since 1983). I rather enjoyed it because, unlike some, it only had moderate thunder & lightening--but it rained heavily from about 8 in the evening through midnight (when I went to bed) or possibly later.

No particular problems where I live, but major flash flooding about two miles from here. The headline THIRD MAJOR FLOOD SINCE 1983 LEAVES AREA A MUDDY MESS tells the story of the devastation of a posh neighborhood near the Tanque Verde Wash. :shock:

But all the rivers, washes & streams were running. And since the city fathers have chosen not to have storm drains, but to let rain water run off down the streets, I was most relieved to have the storm hit at night instead of during the (more typical) evening rush hour. Still, must hope for more of the same because we've been in a drought for about 10 years.
swreader

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:35 pm

Was sunny to start so put the washing out pole snapped managed to rig a line up went out before I got back it rained heavy , that was after some dye run into the whites.Image Image
Who's Wee Dug

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum