Book ----> Film

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Book ----> Film

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:29 pm

I know that most books are way better than any movie that is made of them, but I've just finished reading a book that would make a lot more sense if it was actually a movie - The Haunting of James Hastings.

Mind you, this write-up doesn't seem to think so!

http://totalscifionline.com/reviews/523 ... s-hastings

Can any of you think of any books that would have been better as movies?
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby michelanCello » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:26 pm

Well, not would-have-been, but is:
Forrest Gump! (I didn't like the book at all, but the movie is one of my favorites)
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby BatrickPatrick » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:39 pm

I can't think of any would-have-been's either, but I think Twilight was a better movie than book (didn't make it a good movie though >.>)

I liked the movie of Fight Club more than I liked the book, though that could have been because the book doesn't have Helena Bonham Carter in it ;) and because I'd seen the movie first so there wasn't really any suspense.

I agree about Forest Gump, though I've only flicked through the book I don't think I'd like it as much as the movie.

I think the only other movies that I liked more than the book would be Cold Mountain, Trainspotting (read the book first) and Atonement.
Fus Ro Dah!
BatrickPatrick

Postby raisindot » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:15 pm

I can think of a few.

"The Godfather" was much, much, better than Mario Puzo's potboiler novel.

"Jaws" the movie was ten times better than the book, even if it looks incredibly dated today.

"The Silence of the Lambs" I would also say is better than the book (it's better than all three of the Hannibal Lecter books put together).

"Gone with the Wind" is a much better movie than the horribly dated book upon which it was based.

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby Dotsie » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:46 pm

The Princess Bride. Read the book, which had some slightly confusing chapters that were much better done in the film, as the Grandfather/Grandson scenes.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby michelanCello » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:24 pm

raisindot wrote:"The Godfather" was much, much, better than Mario Puzo's potboiler novel.

Got to disagree here. I'm a huge Godfather fan, and I think they made a really good movie out of a really good book/story.

raisindot wrote:"Gone with the Wind" is a much better movie than the horribly dated book upon which it was based.

And not to mention the sequels... :roll: I didn't like it at all (neither the movie, nor the book)... a friend of mine admires Scarlett, but I think she's just a spoiled rich girl, who doesn't care about anyone but herself... She deserved to be left by the captain (although I don't understand how he could marry her...)
Listen.
michelanCello

Postby Penfold » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:55 am

I'm probably going to get jumped on for this but I always found the majority of movies based on Stephen King's novels more enjoyable than the books themselves ("It", being a notable exception). :wink:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby fords » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:18 am

I'd agree with that actually Penfold. Carrie and The Shining in particular worked better as films I thought.
fords

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:26 am

fords wrote:I'd agree with that actually Penfold. Carrie and The Shining in particular worked better as films I thought.
And Stand By Me and Shawshank Redemption. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:42 pm

cujo :D
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:23 pm

and the green mile
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Danny B » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:09 pm

I'd put forward The Warriors as an example of a film adaptation that's far superior to the novel, by Sol Yurick, it's based on.

I've also got my wife talking over my shoulder and saying the same thing about The Wanderers, but I disagree with her on that one since I think the novel, by Richard Price, is far better.

EDIT TO GET BACK ON TOPIC:- Having just read the first entry properly, I'd say that everything James Patterson has written would fall into the category of "Would make a better film, than a book." I enjoyed the two Alex Cross films (Kiss the Girls and Along Came a Spider), but I find his books to be very bland and lacking in tension.
Carpe carpio*

* Correction - Carpio diem
Danny B

Postby poohcarrot » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:15 pm

Because in the book Warriors they're all about 11 years old. :roll:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Dotsie » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:04 am

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the LOTR trilogy was much better as films :shock: Yeah, Jan'll get me, but I just found the books a bit dry with too many wierd bits, and an ending that I thought would never happen. The second book in particular was improved.

I'm not saying that the books were bad. I just wouldn't be tempted to read them again.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby michelanCello » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:31 am

Tonyblack wrote:
fords wrote:I'd agree with that actually Penfold. Carrie and The Shining in particular worked better as films I thought.
And Stand By Me and Shawshank Redemption. :wink:

Shawshank's my favorite... :wink:
Listen.
michelanCello

Next

Return to Non-Discworld books