Pride And Prejudice

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:19 pm

mC wrote:I can't put the picture of Colin Firth out of my mind as Bridget Jones' boyfriend... (mind you, he's Mr Darcy there too)

:lol: The series came before the Jones movies. Colin Firth HAD to be cast as Mark Darcy - in the books Bridget had a HUGE crush on Colin Firth as Darcy and even went to interview him in Italy! That bit got left out of the film of course. :wink:

There's an age gap thing here I think but there's one thing that makes me not want to see the 2005 movie, namely Keira Knightley who's hopelessly overrated although you could never accuse of her of being 'statuesque' except in height (skinny ribs that she is) so physically she's OK. Colin Firth's had the advantage of playing Darcy over several weeks which is why people remember his portrayal so favourably - he really got the Darcy sneer off pat, better even than Lord Olivier's but then he was labouring under a 1940 Hollywood screenplay so stinky that his one expression during that whole film was like someone with interminable indigestion. :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tiffany » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:14 pm

michelanCello wrote:I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I prefer Matthew Macfadyen as Mr. Darcy... maybe it's because I can't put the picture of Colin Firth out of my mind as Bridget Jones' boyfriend... (mind you, he's Mr Darcy there too)

You could also say the same about Colin in Mama Mia, where he played Harry the possible Father of Sophie. But I still think he's gorgeous. He is my idea of Mr. Darcy. :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tiffany » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:21 pm

Having posted that, Elliot Cowan in Lost In Austen was a good Darcy as well.
Colin is still my first love, though I thought Lost In Austen was a brilliant idea for a T.V. modern plus period drama.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:36 pm

Lost in Austen was great fun, but I think I missed bits of 2 episodes at least and I was really distraught when poor Jane got lumbered with Mr. Collins :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby michelanCello » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:49 pm

Is there a movie of Lost in Austen??? :shock: I bought a book with this title but never actually read it, 'cause after ten pages it turned out to be a role-play... :oops:
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:54 pm

michelanCello wrote:Is there a movie of Lost in Austen??? :shock: I bought a book with this title but never actually read it, 'cause after ten pages it turned out to be a role-play... :oops:
I think it's a TV series. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby michelanCello » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:56 pm

Guess they won't come on hungarian television... :cry:
Listen.
michelanCello

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:11 pm

michelanCello wrote:Guess they won't come on hungarian television... :cry:
Did you see this bit on the link:

On 11 February 2009, The Guardian newspaper reported that a movie version of the series was in production. Oscar-winning director Sam Mendes is attached as an executive producer.
:wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby michelanCello » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:12 pm

Yay! :D Thanks, Tony!
Listen.
michelanCello

Postby Tiffany » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:22 am

michelanCello wrote:Is there a movie of Lost in Austen??? :shock: I bought a book with this title but never actually read it, 'cause after ten pages it turned out to be a role-play... :oops:

There is a dvd out of the series, I have it, it was good the second time as well. :D
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0014T7ETQ/r ... B0014T7ETQ
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby michelanCello » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:13 pm

Thanks, Tiffany! :D
Listen.
michelanCello

Postby Tiffany » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:00 pm

Welcome, very, you are. :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby matrim » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:51 am

P&P is on the top of the recommended book list for English learners in China. My first English novel was it, but my experience was somewhat disastrous. Stumbling along the lines, I had great difficulty in understanding the plot, let alone enjoying it. It’s not the vocabulary that troubled me, but rather the syntax, and her way of thinking, which seemed too remote to me then. After some easier reads, like Hemingway and Wilde, my English gradually improved and I began to appreciate P&P. So I think it's definitely not an ideal book for English beginners.

Despite JA's keen observation and witty satire, sometimes I'm still slightly annoyed by her style-a bit redundant for my liking. Recently I've downloaded a huge JA audiobook collection (more than 17 G, each novel has multiple versions) and have just finished S&S (narrated by Susan Harker, who portrayed Jane in 95 P&P mini series). :D
Last edited by matrim on Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matrim

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:05 am

She was so lovely as Jane! That series really was well cast although physically Jennfier Ehle was a little too well-built :lol:

The thing with JA is that her writing style does need to be seen in context - she was writing over 200 years ago after all, but the actual content is classic and ageless. I have this theory that if she'd been born into this modern world she would be a hugely successful screen writer and director - comedy probably but she's thoroughly human in her plotting and depth is so well-textured I'm sure she could do more serious pieces as well. :D
Jan Van Quirm

Postby matrim » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:05 pm

Some think Jane in 95 P&P as not beautiful as the book depicts, but I like her quiet elegance and her feature reminds me of a kind of Grecian beauty. I've heard some rumors that in order to look like girls at that time, JE intentionally put on some weight. Don't know if it's true though. :lol:

I know to judge her style one must consider the background of the time, but even then I feel her style is a bit too refined. I'm no expert on literary style, yet I'm more comfortable reading Gibbon than Austen, even though his period was more distant. As to your theory about her success, I totally agree with you.
matrim

Previous

Return to Non-Discworld books