Platform Games

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Platform Games

Postby shelke » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:22 pm

Anyone knows of these type of games? They are great for the kids to have and they might even entertain you.

With series such as Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, Jak & Dexter and Ratchet & Clank it's a great genre for children under 12.

Anyone owns any gamesi n this genre?

PS: If you're looking for a game to buy for your kid, this surely is the type of game you should look for.
shelke

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:30 pm

I love Crash Bandicoot. And Donkey Kong and Super Mario. :D
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Quark » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:03 pm

I love platformers. It's just a shame there are so few good ones nowadays. Mirror's Edge was ambitious but ultimately... a failure. And while I appreciate the Super Mario series, you can't help but feel they're just repeating themselves.
For preference, when I feel like platforming, I tend to play, uh, Deathrun. Hey, don't look at me like that. It's fun! :P Basically, about 25 people, all with silly hats, trying to get through a course of platforms and traps. It also doesn't help that there's another team of people operating the traps :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFRJTmn6-_U&feature=related
Quark

Postby mystmoon » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:38 pm

I tend to play online platformers (cheapskate :roll: ) like Fancy Pants Man and Mirrors Edge 2D. Unfortunately, the only console I have is a Wii, and there are very few platformers for that
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby Quark » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:28 am

Try Super Mario Galaxy 1/2. The platforming sections in Lego Star Wars aren't bad either.
If you have a Wii and a working internet connection, you can buy classic 'Virtual Console' games and download them. If you get the chance, get Super Mario World for the SNES; widely regarded as one of the greatest platformers ever. :D
Quark

Postby fords » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:19 pm

I'm currently addicted to the ultimate in platform games - Doodle Jump! :D

Spyro is awesome, as is Alex Kidd in Miracle World and the early Sonic games.
fords

Postby Quark » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:13 am

Quark

Postby shelke » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:30 pm

If there would be one platform game you'd have to recommend for someone, which one would it be?
shelke

Postby mystmoon » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:52 pm

Mirror's Edge 2D definetly. Unless we count nevermore as a platformer, which I'm not sure it is
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby amandak695 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:13 am

Quark wrote:I love platformers. It's just a shame there are so few good ones nowadays. Mirror's Edge was ambitious but ultimately... a failure. And while I appreciate the Super Mario series, you can't help but feel they're just repeating themselves.
For preference, when I feel like platforming, I tend to play, uh, Deathrun. Hey, don't look at me like that. It's fun! :P Basically, about 25 people, all with silly hats, trying to get through a course of platforms and traps. It also doesn't help that there's another team of people operating the traps :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFRJTmn6-_U&feature=related

Such a very amazing link!
Thanks you for the post.
amandak695

Postby polythenegirl » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:10 pm

shelke wrote:If there would be one platform game you'd have to recommend for someone, which one would it be?

It'd have to be the Dizzy series whcih was orginally on the ZX Spectrum and then on the Mega Drive. Awesome and fun with loads of puzzles to test you!
Polythene Girl

*mwah*
polythenegirl

Postby Danny B » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:14 pm

polythenegirl wrote:
shelke wrote:If there would be one platform game you'd have to recommend for someone, which one would it be?

It'd have to be the Dizzy series whcih was orginally on the ZX Spectrum and then on the Mega Drive. Awesome and fun with loads of puzzles to test you!

Seconded! Those games were utterly brilliant.

For a recommendation of my own, I'd point folks towards a Nintendo 64 emulator and a copy of Super Mario 64 (or ebay for the real thing, I suppose. It's your money ;) ).
Carpe carpio*

* Correction - Carpio diem
Danny B

Postby Stumped » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:09 pm

YES!!! To Crash bandicoot! :lol: He's my all time favourite. I play it most weeks. Friday evening is my alloted slot for playtime on the computer or playstations. Dunno which is my absolute favourite one though. Is there a new one coming out? Heard rumours, but nothing confirmed. I like the Professor Layton games for the DS. Pricey, but good. :twisted: Tricky though! Hoping Santa brings me the latest one for Christmas. :lol:
Stumped

Return to Games