#6 R.I.P.

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

#6 R.I.P.

Postby poohbcarrot » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:47 pm

R.I.P.

The Prisoner has finally escaped.

http://www.viralvideochart.com/youtube/ ... 9JewlGsYxs

Two years ago I got the full set of DVDs of The Prisoner. I have watched them all except the last one. It seems appropriate to watch the last one tonight.
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:12 pm

It's very sad indeed. I've always enjoyed Patrick McGoohan. Remember him when I was a kid in Dangerman and saw The Prisoner the first time around. His Edward Longshanks was the best thing about Braveheart RIP Patrick :cry:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tiffany » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:48 pm

I didn't know untill I read this thread, but have now found the article, not seen any news today.
http://entertainment.aol.co.uk/entertai ... 7456731241

I used to watch this programme.
Very appropriate to watch it now, Poohcarrot.

RIP Patrick
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:51 pm

He was an amazing actor. One of the other shows I enjoyed him in was Jamaica Inn - even though he was woefully supported in that by Jane Seymour (as his niece I think). Dangerman was great and the Prisoner of course is classic, although regrettably I was too young to see it first time around (am also a huge Leo McKern fan) - with only 3 channels available back then Parents Law was the remote zapper and I was zapped to bed by the time it came on *mutters*

I've never seen Braveheart all the way through (too silly and FAR too long) but he was definitely a shining star in that - Edward I was possibly the strongest and most principled/disciplined early Kings (which I know doesn't make him a particularly great person but of a bad bunch of Plantagenets he stands out) and it needed a tough no-nonsense actor to play him - and Patrick delivered magnificently. RIP after a great career.
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby poohbcarrot » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:05 pm

I remember watching the last Prisoner episode when I was a kid and not understanding it.

I've just watched it again (I remembered the "Bones" song and the rocket) but still didn't understand it.
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:13 pm

I think that most of us didn't understand it - but it was compulsive viewing.

I've heard that there are plans to do a remake of The Prisoner in South Africa with an American playing Number 6. :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:36 pm

Is there no mercy in this beleaguered world! :shock:

We need a Hero! An experienced one - preferably with someone else's teeth! :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Sirandilas » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:26 pm

So Long Patrick

Be Seeing you
Sirandilas

Postby chris.ph » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:33 pm

he is a freeman now :cry:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Vena Ravenhaired » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:16 pm

Travel well, Patrick, and arrive safe.

Cheers, Vena
I wish I was a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum, How can you be unhappy when the sun shines out yer bum?
Vena Ravenhaired

Return to The Broken Drum