To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Postby shelke » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:57 pm

Lawyer Atticus Finch defends the real mockingbird of Harper Lee's classic, Puliter Prize-winning novel—a black man charged with the rape of a white woman. Through the eyes of Atticus's children, Scout and Jem Finch, Harper Lee explores with rich humor and unanswering honesty the irrationality of adult attitudes toward race and class in the Deep South of the 1930's.

A classic novel and a must read of book fans everywhere, this book won the pultizer prize in 1961.
shelke

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:08 pm

A really great book! The young lad visiting his aunt and Scout and Jem's friend is based on the young Truman Capote, who was the childhood friend of Nelle Harper Lee. :)

If you haven't read it, I'd heartily recommend it. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby BatrickPatrick » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:29 pm

I've seen the movie >.>
It's on my reading list.
Fus Ro Dah!
BatrickPatrick

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:51 pm

I got it with UA at Tesco's on Friday :lol: The film was brilliant so I'm looking forward to reading it
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:25 pm

Yay for Boo Radley!
I didn't even know there was a movie,I only know the book. :?
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby raisindot » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:39 pm

It's essentially the ONE book that every middle school student in America reads in English class, including myself mphhhhtht years ago and my ninth grader last year.

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:39 pm

It was also (and still frequently is) one of the most banned books in the US. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby mystmoon » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:51 pm

I was going to do this for GCSE, but we ended up doing Of Mice and Men instead because it's shorter (honest reason!)
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:44 pm

Spoiler wrote:I never really understood in the end whether it was Jem or did Ewell really fall on his knife,or was it Boo for that matter?
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby raisindot » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:52 pm

Tonyblack wrote:It was also (and still frequently is) one of the most banned books in the US. :)

That site and list are pretty outdated and really are more reflective of idiot practices is certain fundie-controlled school systems of the U.S. (i.e., the most crazy right wing areas of the south) than of the country as a whole. While I don't have stats handly, I'll wager that you'll rarely find any of those books banned in any library north of the Mason Dixon line, with the exception of certain whacko sections of Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, Colorado and Idaho.

:)

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby superfurryandy » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:02 am

Did it for O level, loved it and was mocked (ha!) by my classmates who didn't really like reading books. :roll:
superfurryandy

Postby theoldlibrarian » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:59 am

Yes its a masterpiece that I once wrote a 25 page study pamphlet on. Is there anything in particular you would like discussed?
It is not enough to succeed, others must fail
-Gore Vidal
theoldlibrarian

Postby AndieKry » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:05 am

oh, I had to right (meaning had write) a lot of rubbish about the russian classics while in school. Not saying that all is rubbish but when you had to write that you understand it the same way as your party leaders (otherwise you are doomed).
:twisted:
If you believe that you are right, then you are definitely wrong!!!
AndieKry

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:06 pm

Don't know what's worse really - burning books or subverting them. :x

From an historical viewpoint it's kind of interesting to see how societies view their classics - especially when they weren't classics but new and in some cases with dangerous/toxic ideas. :roll:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby AndieKry » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:25 pm

To be honest, Classics is nothing to do with them.
if you look at the books, The Bible is a good example of such a classics.
Jews (own the first 5 books) - say they understand it their way (Rav said they were chosen);
Christians - it is even worse - still didn't come to an agreement if there is a place for women priests (not mentioning other disagreements between different groups that are ready to kill to prove that they are right - fun, don't their God knows better), etc.
Not going any further - already seeing some people hate me.
P.S.: my apologies to all - never wanted to be rude or offensive. but some people are offensive to me when I say that I am a follower of my Gods.
If you believe that you are right, then you are definitely wrong!!!
AndieKry

Next

Return to Non-Discworld books