Morris dancing

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Morris dancing

Postby Dotsie » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:26 pm

Morris dancing dying out?

Is this a sad thing, or has it's time come? If no-one wants to do it any more, maybe we should just let it lie?

I for one would be sorry to think there would be no more Morris. I was surprised however that the article didn't once mention the obvious solution - let women in. Alright, the tradition would change, but all traditions change, & if it's either that or disappear altogether I think it's worth the upheaval! Of course, maybe women aren't that daft! :D :wink:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:48 pm

I view it rather like the news "Clowns dying out" - :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Sirandilas » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:43 pm

I grew up in a village where Morrismen, Mummers and Maypoles were a big part of the village culture

I think part of the trick to its survival is getting local schools and kids involved at an early age

Pretty much any village event involves Morris Men (usually from nearby Towersey) as well as the Haddenham Hoofers, which is the Women getting in on the act, so sorry Dotsie but some of them are that daft.

Every year the nearby Towersey Village Festival has Morris Men and other Folk musicians and Dancers from all over the world getting to gether to strut their stuff.

Not to mention the local Cellidhs where you can enjoy Good beer and traditional music and dancing.

http://www.haddenhamceilidhs.co.uk/
Sirandilas

Postby Jarmara » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:06 pm

I mentioned this story on an other forum I'm on and was almost immediately surrounded by stealth Morris Men* decrying the very idea of Morris being in trouble. Apparently it's booming everywhere except troupes who won't include women and there are tons that do.

I'd hate to see it go, but then I've never actually seen a Morris danced in person. (I was going to say in the flesh there, but what would Jason Ogg say?!)

*stealth as in I didn't know until that thread that any of them did Morris
Contains Strong Language, Fantasy Violence and Mild Peril

Image The Sunshine Sanctuary says - Click to keep the dragon alive!
Jarmara

Postby chris.ph » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:13 pm

its just an excuse to get drunk after making a div of yourself . do what i do and miss out the div bit :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:16 pm

Funny you should say that Chris - :P years ago in the mid 70s when CAMRA (campaign for Real Ale) first started up I seem to remember that there were an awful lot of beardie types who joined in droves and a fair proportion of those beardies turned out to be Morris Men - allegedly. Something ancient folkways allied to country drinking triaditions yadee yadee yada :P

Anyway anyone knows that dancing makes you thirsty.... :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Vena Ravenhaired » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:25 am

Strange-- I signed up to start Morris Dancing and almost immediately was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia!

Maybe the Gods were trying to tell me something? :(
I wish I was a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum, How can you be unhappy when the sun shines out yer bum?
Vena Ravenhaired

Return to The Broken Drum