Anne McCaffrey

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tiffany » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:36 pm

I have both copies of the Coelura, Tony, one is the American version, hardback. It cost me a lot too :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Watchman44 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:51 pm

I have almost all her books and the Pern series are my favourites, but I also like the Tower and Hive series (the Rowan books) and the Catteni series. I do agree that the dinosaur planet series were not her best.
I also enjoyed the crystal singer series.
I met her once at Waterstones in Exeter and she was very nice.
For more information see http://annemccaffrey.net/index.php
Who watches the watchman.......
FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
Watchman44

Postby Tiffany » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:43 pm

Hi Watchman44, You don't live a million miles from me. Thanks for the link, but I do know her site.

Just realised it isn't in my favourites any more so I have added it, thanks again.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Watchman44 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:57 am

Hi Tiffany, good to see another Devonian and Mc Caffrey fan on the forum, glad the link was useful.

Watchman44 aka Chris.
Who watches the watchman.......
FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
Watchman44

Postby swreader » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:44 am

I started McCaffery years ago with the Ship books (which I very much liked) and some of the Talent books. But I have to agree that the Dinosaur Books were pretty much a mistake. But the Crystal Singer is quite good, didn't like the 2nd one as well, and consequently didn't read the third. I liked the Doona series, but couldn't get into the Acorna though I read several of them.

As to the Pern series, I've read them all, some multiple times. I finally got Tony to read All the Wyrs of Pern which answered some of his questions about what happened next. I'm very anxious to see how the newest one--by Todd is, but haven't read it yet.

One of the things that rather fascinated me was the way in which McCaffery (as well as Pratchett) has written a batch of "children's books" although hers don't seem to be identified as childrens in the same way. And although I think Dragonsinger, Dragonsong, and Dragon Drums immediately spring to mind, so does The Dolphins of Pern, and to some small degree parts of The Masterharper of Pern. If she has done anything similar to Maurice and the Educated Rodents, I don't know it--but the others certainly compare very well to the Tiffany series--or at least I think so. What do the rest of you think?
swreader

Postby Tiffany » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:53 pm

Todd McCaffrey is good, though not quite the same as Anne, I guess he'll get better the more he writes. Would I recommend his books, Yes, I would. I have read two of his now.
I have recently finished Dragonheart. I enjoyed reading it.
I liked most of Anne's books, but must admit The Dinosaur Planet ones, nor the Acorna series (though the first one was O.K.) were very good.
My favourites are the Pern series. Dragonflight, Dragonsinger, The White Dragon & Dragonquest are my all time favourites. But all couldn't be put down. :D
I see what you mean about some being capable of being read by older children, Swreader. I don't think any of her books are the least like Sir Terry's though. Anne, to me, hasn't the same sense of fun, her books are more serious. In a way, her characters are more believable. This is just my opinion.
I did discover Anne McCaffrey many years ago now & have only in the last couple of years discovered Terry Pratchett.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:24 am

I'm curious as to what the McCaffery fans thought of the Dragonrider parody that Terry wrote in Colour of Magic. I'd already read the dragon books and remember finding the parody hysterical. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Vena Ravenhaired » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:41 pm

I rather liked the parody on the dragons in Colour of Magic.

I'm an Anne fan too, started off with the Dragons, then found the Crystal Singer tales. Love the Petaybee stories.

Not keen on the Catteni tales, the Dinosaur Planet ones continued into The Planet Pirates series and not really my cuppa Klah.

The Acorna ones are beginning to slip, I feel. Loved the series that developed from The Ship Who Sang. Also love the series which started with To Ride Pegasus, and developed into the Tower stories.

My faves though are tha Doona/Rrala stories, only three, unfortunately, and a standalone title which I would have loved to see developed further, published in the States as The Lady, in the UK as The Carradine Touch. Not science-fiction at all, but rather a fairly modern horse story based around the founding of the Irish Horse Board, (Bord NaG Capall).

Unfortunately, I feel that as Anne has loosened the reins on Acorna to Elizabeth Ann Scarborough, the tales are slipping away from the original intent. I feel that the same happened with The Planet Pirates.

Just my particular feelings on these,
I wish I was a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum, How can you be unhappy when the sun shines out yer bum?
Vena Ravenhaired

Postby Tiffany » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:30 pm

Vena Ravenhaired wrote:I rather liked the parody on the dragons in Colour of Magic.

I'm an Anne fan too, started off with the Dragons, then found the Crystal Singer tales. Love the Petaybee stories.

Not keen on the Catteni tales, the Dinosaur Planet ones continued into The Planet Pirates series and not really my cuppa Klah.

The Acorna ones are beginning to slip, I feel. Loved the series that developed from The Ship Who Sang. Also love the series which started with To Ride Pegasus, and developed into the Tower stories.

My faves though are tha Doona/Rrala stories, only three, unfortunately, and a standalone title which I would have loved to see developed further, published in the States as The Lady, in the UK as The Carradine Touch. Not science-fiction at all, but rather a fairly modern horse story based around the founding of the Irish Horse Board, (Bord NaG Capall).

Unfortunately, I feel that as Anne has loosened the reins on Acorna to Elizabeth Ann Scarborough, the tales are slipping away from the original intent. I feel that the same happened with The Planet Pirates.

Just my particular feelings on these,

I agree with you, Vena, on the passages I have highlighted bold.

I have The Carradine Touch & enjoyed reading it.

I loved the Tower series, I have all of those, I have most of the Acorna series as well.

Crystal Singer too.

Have you read Black Horses For The King? I did read it a long time ago, but can't remember what it was about now & I thought I had the book but can't find it.
There was another she wrote, which I also haven't read, called A Gift Of Dragons.

I did think the parody on the dragons very funny.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Vena Ravenhaired » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:15 pm

Hi Tiff,

Yes, I have Black Horses for the King, A gift of Dragons, and another non sci-fi one called A Stitch in Snow.

Cheers, Vena
I wish I was a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum, How can you be unhappy when the sun shines out yer bum?
Vena Ravenhaired

Postby chris.ph » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:19 pm

i like the black horse its the pub down the road from me :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tiffany » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:50 pm

chris.ph wrote:i like the black horse its the pub down the road from me :lol:

I hope it's got a really nice pub sign with a black horse on it. :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:43 pm

There is a book of short stories by famous fantasy writers called 'Legends'. It features a story called 'The Sea and Little Fishes' by Terry, but it also features a story called 'Runner of Pern' by Anne McCaffrey.

Have any of you McCaffrey fans read it? I have the book and may be persuaded to make the story available... :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Vena Ravenhaired » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:35 pm

Yes, I've read 'Runner of Pern.' I believe it appears with other short Pern stories in 'A Gift of Dragons'. Also included is a short called 'Beyond Between', which explains what happens to Moreta as she goes between on Holth, instead of Orlith.

Cheers, Vena
Vena Ravenhaired

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:10 pm

I have not read any of her books for a while, but my favorites were the Menolly books.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books