Favourite character?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Jane » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:12 pm

People greeters. :D
That reminds me of those happy old people in supermarkets that say hello on your way in. And give you a sticker if you look under 7.

Do you guys go to cons, too? :o
The rumour spread through the city like: ______.
A) Wildfire
B) Margarine
C) Venereal disease
D) A disco of pain
Jane

Postby Sarah Sto Helit » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:30 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Hi there Nat - Vimes Vetinari and Granny W - the unholy Trinity :twisted:

it's still Gaspode really though! :evil:

Gaspode rocks!!

but the trinity has to be Vimes, Granny and Death!!! surely
never trust a dog with orange eyebrows
Sarah Sto Helit

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:16 pm

Death's 'different'! :lol:

I always think he's not really 'of' Discworld - he's more the bag man who clears up and make sure the dead mostly stay that way and get where they're supposed to be going (obviously poor old Reg Shoe and other Zombies aren't included in that). Because of the 'duty' he doesn't really effect life on the Disc as such (yes I know he's saved it from the Auditors twice) so he's doesn't 'belong' in the planes of the living and can't really influence things like Vetinari, Vimes and Granny can - he doesn't know how to be human either, so he's out in a league of his own as a kind of cosmic champion more - in Thief of Time for instance he does kind of save the world, but as the world was frozen and then just carried on once Lobsang and Susan had put things right with the help of Lu-Tse nobody knew what he'd done. And in Reaperman the face-off with the Auditors was because he'd abandoned his duty - so if he expects thanks for that one he can think again! :lol: :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:10 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:
Who's Wee Dug wrote:Just to show how far in front we are.

15 Sci-Fi Predictions That Came True

Link re-established! :wink:

Makes for interesting reading that :D
Thanks Jan it did work before, I remember reading about a vision phone being hacked in a humorous SF/Fantasy book by an American author and that was back in 1968 before the term was invented or even the vision phones were invented,it was called the Butterfly Kid loosely part of a trilogy of separate linked books, I still have them they were a fun read. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby DaveC » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:23 am

Sarah Sto Helit wrote:
Jan Van Quirm wrote:Hi there Nat - Vimes Vetinari and Granny W - the unholy Trinity :twisted:

it's still Gaspode really though! :evil:

Gaspode rocks!!

but the trinity has to be Vimes, Granny and Death!!! surely

Am as far as THe Fifth Elephant , but so far I would say Gaspode, Carrot and Ridcully
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby madam » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:56 pm

gah i am surrounded by cretins :lol: Margolotta, Vetinari and Vimes rock my entire wardrobe never mind my socks. :D still i appreciate im in a minority group here. and possibly an endangerd species if the grace/havelock fans ever get onto this thread...
madam

Postby AndieKry » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:50 pm

Hi all,
Had no time to read the whole thread - just my view/opinion/whatever the healthy brain can afford - Rincewind and Twoflower - both were the beginning and they gave the flavour for the rest of Discworld.
Of course, Death is exceptional.
In any case,
Meself.
If you believe that you are right, then you are definitely wrong!!!
AndieKry

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:08 am

Himself, you forgot the luggage. Image
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Addams » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:36 pm

Hmm, let's see :

Moist (i love this kind of rascal), Susan, Death, Vetinari, Ridcully and the librarian are my favorites.

Second row : Sally, Angua, Carrot, Nobbs and Colon.

Hope we will read more about the vampire girl in Snuff, she works fine with Angua, kind of a funny duo.

Well, if Pratchett manages to talk about something else than Vimes for a couple of pages of course. (cross fingers)
Addams

Postby Spike » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:28 pm

Hard to say who my absolute favourite is.

Would have a hard time choose between Granny Weatherwax, Sam Vimes, Adora Belle Dearheart (of course), the Patrician and the Librarian. And Capt Carrot, Nobby Nobbs, Susan, Twoflower...

erm...

I suppose thats the great thing about Pratchett - his characters are so fully fleshed out that they all have (pretty much) have something to endear themselves.

Ok, possibley not a Reacher Gilt for example, but y'know what I mean.
Where's my cow? Is that my cow? It says "Buggrit millenium hand and shrimp". That's not my cow, thats Foul Ol' Ron.
Spike

Postby ghostsecurity28 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:40 pm

Hi
well that one is awkward slightly I must insist that I have 4 all on the same parr 1= Errol the dragon[love the little critters in general]
2= captain samuel vimes [pretty much an alcoholic myself ...mmm rum]
3= Rincewind of course [social outcast myself and my dog is small and deadly follows me everywhere]
4= the three witches [lol]

PS Can anyone advise me on the image adding seems to be failing miserably on signature and posts ?
And in Heather's case, there were sometimes Third Thoughts and Fourth Thoughts, although these were quite difficult to manage and sometimes led her to walk into doors
ghostsecurity28

Postby Jane » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:16 am

If you're having problems with uploading the avatar pic, it might be that the file size is too big.

I got a copy of Soul Music yesterday, and I like Buddy.
I think it's because I'm a squealing teenage Discworld fangirl. :oops:
*colors fanart*
SQUEEE!
The rumour spread through the city like: ______.
A) Wildfire
B) Margarine
C) Venereal disease
D) A disco of pain
Jane

Postby bikkit » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:24 am

SQEEEEE (and I havn't even seen the fanart :roll: )

I'm going to need a swat team, ready to mobilize, street maps covering the whole of florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and A FEZ.
bikkit

Postby NeoNico » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:57 pm

Carrot would deffinately have to be my number one ^^ I always imagine him looking a bit like Damian Lewis, but with a Welsh accent :D
NeoNico

Re: Favourite character?

Postby InfernoOrangeSS » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:25 am

Having read through a number of books since my last post where I stated that Rincewind and Death are my two favorites...I have to add Moist Von Lipwig to that list. I absolutely loved Going Postal!

:clap:
“Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?”
InfernoOrangeSS

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels