Favourite character?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Jane » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:18 am

I have no idea about dress, so I'm just making it up. :P
I imagine Moist in a gold modern suit with a waistcoast (maybe a tailcoat and cummerbund on formal occasions), and Will in puffy sleeves, sort of inspired by other writers named William.

Man, I forgot how long computer painting took. :x
At least it smells better than turpentine.
Jane

Postby BatrickPatrick » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:03 am

I like the smell of turps :P
And oil mediums. Mmmmmwinsorandnewton
Fus Ro Dah!
BatrickPatrick

Postby Courtjezter » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:56 am

Hi,

My first post and i thought i would chip in with my favourite character/s.

Long time Rincewind fan, he was the characte who introduced me to discworld. To run along side that I would also say CMOT Dibbler. Then it would be Vimes and Granny Weatherwax.

I thank you.
"Generally speaking, when scary things get scared - not good."
Courtjezter

Postby michelanCello » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:15 am

Welcome to the forum, Courtjezter! :D
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Penfold » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:34 am

Hellooo and welcome from me, Courtjezter! :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Jane » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:37 pm

BatrickPatrick wrote:I like the smell of turps :P

"Turps"? I asked an artist guy why called it that, because I always felt it should be "Turp", because "turpentine" doesn't have an ess. For some reason, I like the smell of whiteboard cleaner and new cars.

I don't really like painting - probably because of the cleanup involved. In my art class, we don't have hot water, so when they make us wash the brushes and palettes and water jugs, our hands FREEZE.
Also, oils (I realized this after touching the tubes) are oily and you have to wash with dishwash liquid and pumice, which means you get cold, dry, chafed hands with half your nail polish scraped off.

That's why I like pencils and digital art. Indoor settings with no heavy lifting involved. ^__^ I'd want to be a wizard if I was a Disc-worldian. Official dinners sound funtastic!
Jane

Postby BatrickPatrick » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:53 pm

Jane wrote:
BatrickPatrick wrote:I like the smell of turps :P

"Turps"? I asked an artist guy why called it that, because I always felt it should be "Turp", because "turpentine" doesn't have an ess. For some reason, I like the smell of whiteboard cleaner and new cars.

I don't really like painting - probably because of the cleanup involved. In my art class, we don't have hot water, so when they make us wash the brushes and palettes and water jugs, our hands FREEZE.
Also, oils (I realized this after touching the tubes) are oily and you have to wash with dishwash liquid and pumice, which means you get cold, dry, chafed hands with half your nail polish scraped off.

That's why I like pencils and digital art. Indoor settings with no heavy lifting involved. ^__^ I'd want to be a wizard if I was a Disc-worldian. Official dinners sound funtastic!

I've never thought of that...we just call it turps because that's what people call it ._.

Oils are oily, yes xD
I just use baby wipes to clean it... I always think it's disturbing that baby wipes take off things like oil paint and industrial ink but are apparently not damaging to baby skin...

And yeah, I don't do a lot of painting, especially with oils, because they take so long to dry and I'm not patient enough. Plus, it's hard. >.> *avoids effort*

/offtopic

UM, Leonard of Quirm! He's a good Discworld-Leonardo-character...
Fus Ro Dah!
BatrickPatrick

Postby Verns » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:36 pm

Jane wrote:Hmm...I think it's kind of sad that most of the Kewl Characters end up with a SO. Well, at least I think it's sad, in the OMGEDWARD! kind of way.
Carrot and Angua, Will and Sacha, Moist and Adora, Nijel and Conina, Hrun and Liessa, Cohen and Bethan, Sam and Sybil, Mort and Ysabelle, Vic and Ginger, etc.
I think the only characters that don't get married are Rincewind, Death, Susan, Brutha, and Teppic. D:

What kind of clothes do Ankh-Morporkians wear?
I'm drawing a pic of Moist and Will (super favs!) and I have no idea.
I did have a look at the Night Watch cover and had a bit of a giggle at the codpieces. :P

I'm reluctant to contradict you about the characters who remain single, because I don't know if you've read all the books, so don't want to post spoilers. I would just like to ask if you've read Thief of Time?

As for my favourite characters, like many other members here I have LOADS! I have a particular fondness for Susan, Granny and Vetinari, but Sam Vimes is the biz. His character has grown over the series, and his relationship with Sybil is a delight. Yup, Sam Vimes is definitely my number one favourite and I love all the books about the Night Watch.

I'm really glad I came to Discworld sort of sideways, reading Amazing Maurice first, then Wyrd Sisters and Mort - so it was some time before I organised myself and read them in a respectable order. The Colour of Magic is okay, as is The Light Fantastic, but if I'd read those first I doubt I'd have become such an avid Discworld fan. Rincewind and most of the adventures set in UU just don't rock my boat (although Unseen Academicals was a pleasant surprise, because I loved it!).

Sorry, I'm rambling - Sam Vimes has that effect on me...
Verns

Postby Jane » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:00 am

Oils are oily, yes xD
I just use baby wipes to clean it... I always think it's disturbing that baby wipes take off things like oil paint and industrial ink but are apparently not damaging to baby skin...

And yeah, I don't do a lot of painting, especially with oils, because they take so long to dry and I'm not patient enough. Plus, it's hard. >.> *avoids effort*

Haha, sadly my school doesn't have baby wipes. We have...toilet paper?

I'm not the patient type either. My painting ended up as one big greenish brown mess, because apparently it takes a few days for the paint to dry up completely, and I only waited half an hour. The more you try to fix it, the more it smudges. :P But when it dries, you can scrape it off with the back of a butterknife.

Oh, I'd forgotten that Susan meets that monk guy...was his name Lobsang? I haven't read Thief of Time, but I do remember seeing his name mentioned somewhere.
The rumour spread through the city like: ______.
A) Wildfire
B) Margarine
C) Venereal disease
D) A disco of pain
Jane

Postby fords » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:46 am

Lobsang Ludd I think it was. I was happy for Susan to finally meet someone - the girl's too uptight ;-)

My favourites would be Vimes, Moist and Nanny Ogg. I love how she's the complete opposite of Granny Weatherwax but you get that nagging suspicion that she's just as powerful as old Esme.
fords

Postby bikkit » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:52 am

Yeah, It is Lobsang.

Did anyone else spot the pun at the end "even with nougat, you can have a perfect moment"

Remember what Lobsang was called before he was a monk? Newgate

I'm going to need a swat team, ready to mobilize, street maps covering the whole of florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and A FEZ.
bikkit

Postby fords » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:54 pm

His name is Newgate, but I've only just realised the wordplay now you've pointed it out :oops:
fords

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:55 pm

bikkit wrote:Yeah, It is Lobsang.

Did anyone else spot the pun at the end "even with nougat, you can have a perfect moment"

Remember what Lobsang was called before he was a monk? Newgate
I'd never thought of that as the pun. I thought it was the pun was fact that he was named after a famous prison by the Thieves' Guild. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby bikkit » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:16 am

^ yeah, that too. Maybe I imagined it. But maybe not.

I'm going to need a swat team, ready to mobilize, street maps covering the whole of florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and A FEZ.
bikkit

Postby Jane » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:40 am

Whoo! I finally bought Theif of Time (I shouldn't be allowed to go to malls. :() and now I can read about SusanxLobsang.
I hope it's good. ^___^

My fav characters and Will and Moist, and it's sad that Will isn't showing up much except for cameos.
I orded Making Money, only the site says that it'll take a month to arrive in the mailbox.
Darn international distributors. :evil:
The rumour spread through the city like: ______.
A) Wildfire
B) Margarine
C) Venereal disease
D) A disco of pain
Jane

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels