Iain Banks

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:22 pm

When I visit up home I always made a beeline for it,then the buggers closed it and now I have to go to Stirling, hope that one is still open when I visit next month or I will be seriously peeded off. :evil:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby NightOwl » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:57 pm

talking of bookshops - Barter Books in Alnwick is brilliant - the old railway station converted into a 2nd hand bookshop - I even found a book by Sterling Lanier there (Hiero etc). when I am up in Northumberland, I always come home with lots of books from there.

I still haven't picked up Matter though - trying to finish one or two of the other books I have on the go.
All the World's a Stage
NightOwl

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:00 pm

I try to steer clear of bookshops - once in one, I have a job to get out again. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:06 pm

Jason wrote:I loved the Wasp Factory and I think it was the Player of Games I read of his and enjoyed that a lot too. Maybe its time I looked at some of his books again.

Same here! Both books were excellent. Another book which I read and enjoyed and might have been his was The Bridge.
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:05 pm

My favorite is "The Business" where it owned the Roman Empire for a short time. Great guy and a fellow Scot who loves a wee dram. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Foul ole Ron » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:46 pm

NightOwl wrote:
Dotsie wrote:Good to meet another fan! Have you read Matter yet? I've got it, but I haven't had time to sit down to it yet.

No, for some reason I don't think I have. Must have overlooked it - I was trying to include a wider selection of books in my reading and must have missed it.

Iain Banks fan here too.

Matter is excellent.
Buggrit
Foul ole Ron

Postby sweet oblivion » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:32 am

Really love his Sci-fi stuff; Consider Phlebas, Player of Games, the Algebraist. I found Anathem pretty slow going.

Never really bothered to read his Iain Banks Novels. Are they worth it?
sweet oblivion

Postby Dotsie » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:57 pm

Yes! Although the subject matter isn't for everyone. Start with Whit - it's about religion, but religious belief itself doesn't necessarily get a bashing, and there's not much in it otherwise that would cause offence. Unlike say, the Wasp Factory :shock:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:44 pm

Dammit.

Will you lot stop posting about other authors, my bank manager can't take the pressure! :lol:

(toddles off to play.com)
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:50 pm

Foul ole Ron wrote:
NightOwl wrote:
Dotsie wrote:Good to meet another fan! Have you read Matter yet? I've got it, but I haven't had time to sit down to it yet.

No, for some reason I don't think I have. Must have overlooked it - I was trying to include a wider selection of books in my reading and must have missed it.

Iain Banks fan here too.

Matter is excellent.
Not yet getting a bit behind with my book reading.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Danny B » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:43 pm

After a friend recommended I try him, I bought a copy of The Bridge. I did not enjoy it. The same friend said I should give his SF a go, so I found a copy of Feersum Endjinn in a shop and bought that. I did not enjoy it. I disliked both novels so much, that I stopped accepting said friend's recommendations for some considerable years.

Then just recently, someone told me I had picked easily the two worst possible books to start with and gave me a copy of The Crow Road, insisting they'd take me out for a meal at their expense if I hated it... I'm both happy and somewhat miffed to say I'll be sharing the cost of our next meal. :wink: I'm now eagerly awaiting the arrival of a copy of Consider Phlebas.

Edited to add - I should note that I didn't stop taking my friend's recommendations purely on those two novels. This was the same person who convinced me to read several other writers who I found myself disliking quite intensely. (I won't name the writers, I'd rather be nice than nasty :wink:)
Danny B

Postby chris.ph » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:21 pm

come on danny who are the authors :?:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Danny B » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:58 pm

No outright naming, since I don't want to a.) start arguing with any potential fans of those writers, or b.) go too far off-topic. I'll drop a couple of hints, though.

One lady, named after a flower, who's written Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms novels amongst other stuff. One extremely young writer of heroic fantasy. With dragons in them. A fellow who writes almost nothing except novelisations and adaptations of videogames, most notably in the Star Wars and Diablo universes (Stuff it. It's Richard A. Knaak. I've yet to encounter anyone else who's read one of his novels all the way through, anyway.). Finally, the author of a tiny series of novels that no-one has ever heard of, where a girl with a terminal lack of charisma gets stalked by a sparkly vampire 90 years her senior. Who still goes to high school. And chases sixteen year old girls. And breaks into their houses to watch them sleep. And destroys their self esteem with passive-aggresive comments, before carefully isolating them from their peer groups, just like abusive partners do. You probably haven't heard of it. :wink:
Danny B

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:06 pm

:lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Dotsie » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:48 am

:lol: Excellent review Danny.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books