Favourite character?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby BatrickPatrick » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:24 pm

Can't decide between Vimes, Rincewind, the Librarian and Moist. The last one partly because "Moist" is such a good word...

As for Ridcully, I kinda think of the UU faculty as one big character >.>
BatrickPatrick

Postby Jane » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:31 pm

My favs are Carrot, Will, and Teppic.

...all young male protagonists!
I wonder what that says about me. :)
Jane

Postby sweet oblivion » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:52 pm

Favourite character is most definitely Vimes.
sweet oblivion

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:01 pm

Welcome Jane :D
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby Penfold » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:41 am

Hellooo and welcome from me too, Jane! :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Jane » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:27 pm

Thanks!

I think I've decided that the only young male protags that I won't like are Victor and Brutha. Because of the former's mustache and the latter's...doughiness?

Skinny top-of-the-lip mustaches never fail to remind me of milk and salesmen. They're just one slot above wimpy-teenage-halfway there-shave-once-a-fortnight-peach-fuzz-wannabe mustache. :P
Jane

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:10 pm

I really do have to speak up for Brutha and Victor as Moving Pics and Small Gods are right up there in my top 5 books :lol:

Victor's appearance is mainly based on Douglas Fairbanks who was the hottest action-hero hearthrob in pre-talkies Hollywood (little bit of Rudolph Valentino but he didn't have any upper lip fungus generally :wink: ) and Clark Gable who was the King of Hollywood even before he did Blown Away - I mean Gone with the Wind! 8) :lol:

Brutha - well he's an illiterate monk and not supposed to be glamourous as it's literally against his religion of course. Doughishness I'll live with because that's how he starts out of course. Between Om and Vorbis his character gradually emerges and strengthens but in a way that he's still innocent and reluctant to 'judge' anyone. I think he ends as that very rare hero - one who is unfailingly kind and caring without actually being 'weak'. I always think of him as sweet-natured but just and strong-minded (rather than opinionated) and those qualities remain with him throughout the book.

I think appearances aren't that important to Terry at all which is quite right. Some of the stupidest and most unpleasant people I know (of either gender) have been classicly good-looking... :evil:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jane » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:22 pm

I did like the books, but I think it was just the character descriptions that put me off.

I don't know why, but for some reason, I don't like skinny mustaches. Like Lupin's from the HP movies. I appreciated and enjoyed the plot and sendy uppiness going on in the books; it's just that some details that most people would ignore got labelled in my subconscious "HOT or NOT?" meter. :P
I thought that Brutha was a cute character (like Carrot's little autistic brother in the beginning), but the first impression sticks the longest. :(

Haha, I've always found that the good looking smart ones who know they're pretty are the ones to watch for.
Jane

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:22 pm

Smart always works with me too - it's the self-obsession and mirror habits I can't stand! :P
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jane » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:47 pm

I find it annoying when somehow the conversation always ends up about some vain person talking about themselves...And when one group of people gets tired of it, she/he moves on to another group...
Maybe I should be more tolerant; I'd be less annoyed that way.

Hmm...
Would I be the only one who'd find it funny if Teppic and Ptraci got together? I think Dios or whoever mentioned that relative dating (haha :wink: , this made me laugh in history class) was a normal thing for Djelibeybi royalty.
Jane

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:52 pm

It's a well-known 'syndrome' - siblings or half-siblings (like Pteppic and Ptraci) who're brought up not knowing they're related are often strongly attracted to each other as we see when Pteppic first gets to know her and whilst Dios is still trying to get Pteppic to marry his aunty? :lol:

I think the funniest thing about Pteppic/Ptraci is their dad's ghost trying to formally introduce them :twisted:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jane » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:00 pm

Hey, is his name Pteppic or Teppic?
I remember when he was introducting himself at school, he said he was "Pteppic", but they called him "Teppic", but "Teppic" is short for his real name "Teppicimon" (something like that), and was used most of the time.
That bit's confusing for me. :(

Teehee. :P
I must be very immature to find incest amusing.
Jane

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:42 pm

I think Teppic is his Ankh-Morpork name (the P being extracted :wink: ) and it kind of sticks when he's out of Djelibeybi, or not regarded as the king? :lol:

Sort of makes sense :wink:

We've discussed Pyramids already in here but the thread's left open so we may have already gone over this but if not feel free to post in that thread as I'm sure someone will be able to throw some light on this - or debate enthusiastically! :lol:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jane » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:17 am

Hmm...I think it's kind of sad that most of the Kewl Characters end up with a SO. Well, at least I think it's sad, in the OMGEDWARD! kind of way.
Carrot and Angua, Will and Sacha, Moist and Adora, Nijel and Conina, Hrun and Liessa, Cohen and Bethan, Sam and Sybil, Mort and Ysabelle, Vic and Ginger, etc.
I think the only characters that don't get married are Rincewind, Death, Susan, Brutha, and Teppic. D:

What kind of clothes do Ankh-Morporkians wear?
I'm drawing a pic of Moist and Will (super favs!) and I have no idea.
I did have a look at the Night Watch cover and had a bit of a giggle at the codpieces. :P
Jane

Postby BatrickPatrick » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:05 am

Jane wrote:I did have a look at the Night Watch cover and had a bit of a giggle at the codpieces. :P

Wahahaha, I did that too. There's a sad lack of codpieces in the Rembrandt one.

I think of them as wearing a mix of georgian and victorian stuff, depending on the story.
Fus Ro Dah!
BatrickPatrick

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels