Any Christopher Moore fans here?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Any Christopher Moore fans here?

Postby raisindot » Wed May 19, 2010 12:35 pm

In celebration of the release of Christopher Moore's latest comical vampire book, "Bite Me," I ask if anyone is a fan of this American comic writer who specializes in extremely off-kilter, occult-ridden and literary parodies?

He is probably best known for his San Francisco-based comic vampire series, starting with "Bloodsucking Fiends" and continuing with "You Suck" and now "Bite Me," all about Gen-Y blood suckers and the humans who love and kill them.

But I think his best book is "Lamb," his speculative 'biography' of Jesus as told by Christ's best friend "Biff." I'm not Christian, but even with all the jokes the story presents a far more appealing and touching portrait of Jesus than the New Testament does.

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby Dotsie » Wed May 19, 2010 4:22 pm

I'm working my way through them, since Catch-Up (on here) recommended him. Mr Dotsie likes him too. Haven't got as far as lamb yet tho.

Chris likes him too I think.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby chris.ph » Wed May 19, 2010 5:24 pm

yip , ive got a few :D
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Bickaxe » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:59 am

Only missing a few, but yes, I think he's a really good fun read, if dark at times.

Lamb is my favourite
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Postby Exp. Date, the rat » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:48 am

Chris Moore is my favorite American Author, second favorite author after Terry.

All of his books are funny, even though they do have some base and bathroom/ freshman humor which adds to the intellectual aspect of his stories.

I do say that he is America's version of Terry, holds up a mirror to laugh and say look how stupid we all are. Lamb is he most well known book and well desevers the title as well, his second most popular (he said himself when i saw him in Boston for the Bite Me signing) is A Dirty Job. After that is does become a matter of personal taste.

A Dirty Job was written when his mother and his girlfriends mother (IIRC) were passing away and it helped him deal with the loss and also as a thank you to the Hospice Nurses that helped ease the pain for all.

He said that he tried to have the nurse sections on ADJ as real as possible for an homage to them for all the work that they do for both the dieing and the living.

So my first two fave are listed above. My third has to be Lust LIzard of Melencholy Cove. I laugh out loud all the time when I read that one escp. when Steve has his Chinese food towards the end! :lol: Get's me laughing just thinking about it.

My fourth would be The Seguine Love Nun. Roberto- He no like the light! Poor Tucker!

What is also good about his books is how he reuses characters over again in different books that fit so well. Sometimes, he said, that as he is writting a book a character feels familiar to him and he realizes that it is one from a previous novel and he works it in. Classic point is Minty Fresh in ADJ. If you read his eailer books you will see the connection that Minty has from that one to ADJ.

ALso in Bite Me someone comes from Fluke into this one again almost seamlessly. He said that during the signing that the character that he was writting was kind of bugging him since the person seemed so familair to him and then the mental index card came up and it was tso-and-so from Fluke and he said all he had to do was change a couple of facts and it fit in so well.

He is a mad genius who looks at life though his own special fun house mirrored glass and I am happy for him.

For the rest of his books in my favorite order are:

The Stupidest Angel 2.0- A Christams Story (Pine Cove Book)

Pratical Demon Keeping (Pine Cove Book)

Fluke

Bloodsucking Fiends

Coyote Blue

Bite Me

Fool

You Suck
A legal Feegle? How could there be such a thing?
Today I feel like I am soaring like a tortoise!
Exp. Date, the rat

Postby Dotsie » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:04 am

I've just finished Lamb, and I have to agree I feel quite kindly disposed to JC now.

What's the difference between The Stupidest Angel and The Stupidest Angel 2.0? I noticed the angel in question was also in Lamb by the way, as was Catch the demon.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby raisindot » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:52 am

Dotsie wrote:What's the difference between The Stupidest Angel and The Stupidest Angel 2.0? I noticed the angel in question was also in Lamb by the way, as was Catch the demon.

Basically the same book, but was 2.0 was published later and Moore added an extra chapter at the end. Personally, I found it to be one of his lesser books, because I guess I find the Pine Cove books to be rather limited--basically some kind of monster or horror wreaks havoc on a small town.

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby Exp. Date, the rat » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:26 pm

Dotsie wrote:I've just finished Lamb, and I have to agree I feel quite kindly disposed to JC now.

What's the difference between The Stupidest Angel and The Stupidest Angel 2.0? I noticed the angel in question was also in Lamb by the way, as was Catch the demon.

See the thing with the cross over character heLOOK AT SEAGULL!!!!

:wink: :lol:
A legal Feegle? How could there be such a thing?
Today I feel like I am soaring like a tortoise!
Exp. Date, the rat

Postby Dotsie » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:55 pm

I was expanding your earlier comment actually, not ignoring it in order to look at seagulls :wink:
Dotsie

Moore?

Postby Undershaft » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:57 pm

I 've read Love Story Trilogy , Island of Sequined Love Nun , and A Dirty Job , which is my favourite one . Made me laugh for all the night I read it , and week after when I remembered some scenes ( like "serious murderer with ninja abilities")
:)
Drop the scythe, and turn around slowly!
Undershaft

Return to Non-Discworld books