Going Postal on Sky

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:30 pm

Daily Mail Online:

Nearly always it's the quiet ones that surprise you with their anger. Terry Pratchett's delightful series of surreal Discworld novels have long bewitched readers.

Pratchett novels have always acted as gentle satires of our world, but Going Postal, the latest of his novels to be filmed by Sky was, by Pratchett's standards at least, monumentally angry.

Porcine bankers, the celebration of corporations, the moral vacuity of the concept of victimless crime and, er, the incorrect use of apostrophes, were all fed into the novel that was the source for this Sky adaptation.

The anger was mollified for family viewing - but only slightly. David Suchet, almost unrecognisable as a villain who resembled an ageing, heavy metal star, played Reacher Gilt - the rapacious owner of Clacks, a network of semaphore towers which are Discworld's take on the internet.

This was a man who had taken advantage of a banking crisis to move in and steal Clacks from its inventor. Gilt was enraged when the patrician Lord Vetinari (Charles Dance) pardoned conman Moist von Lipwig (Richard Coyle) on the understanding he revive the Discworld's postal service to provide some competition to Clacks.

Part of the glory of this fabulous chunk of entertainment was that Sky eschewed CGI in favour of lavish sets, constructed with lashings of sparkling invention.

Going Postal looked amazing. Luckily, everything else about the production was dazzling too.

Coyle was roguish but sympathetic, and Andrew Sachs, as his assistant, bumbled along like a cross between his Fawlty Towers duffer Manuel and the original grandfather from Only Fools And Horses. Claire Foy, as Adora Dearhart, smouldered convincingly.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Quark » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:57 pm

...and, er, the incorrect use of apostrophes

As acting head of the Junior Apostrophe Protection society, that's a perfectly reasonable thing to get enraged about! :evil: :lol:
Quark

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:16 pm

Watching Going Postal, courtesy of an internet buddy, who has removed all the commercial breaks.

Is it just me, or does Richard Coyle look a heck of a lot like John Sessions?
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:09 am

Just Feegled this from Sanealex on the Cunning one's site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vffl7NWmso
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby chuckie » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:03 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Excellent.
Susan did an unusual thing and listened. that's not an easy task for a teacher.
chuckie

Postby meerkat » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:50 am

Brilliant! :lol:
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:37 am

:lol: :lol:
That's brilliant :lol:
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby michelanCello » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:35 am

Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Penfold » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:06 pm

That's great! Do you think it will be an extra on the DVD when its released?
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:13 pm

Very funny!

Got my copy of Going Postal from my friend with Sky, yesterday.

Will watch second eppy tonight.

Just one thought.............. anyone else think that Richard Coyle looks very much like John Sessions?

Bouncy Castle

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:19 pm

Someone has to lower the tone here - that gives a whole different raison d'etre to Mr Pump!
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Kittycat1977 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:43 pm

That is brill, watched it first at work with the sound off so nobody would know I wasn't working and it was funny. With sound it's even better.
Never stand behind a cow when it is sneezing.
Kittycat1977

Postby Cheery » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:56 pm

Finally was able to watch it too; a friend of mine who actually gets skyone recorded it just for me! I've been talking about that film for months now and when I was able to watch it, it was like a second birthday :lol:

What can I say? I loved it to bits!
It doesn't matter they got Angua totally and Ridcully partially wrong, I don't mind about the change they made with Boris (because it was hilarious, seeing Adora in action)...
Because they always instantly made up for it again. I loved the touch with the "films" being shown to Moist by the letters, The backgrounds, the acting (Charles Dance was absulutely brillant as Vetinari and I loved the way Groat and Stanley were portrayed), I loved how the clacks looked, and... and this is definetly my favourite discworld two-parter yet.
They did a GREAT job! :D :D :D
Cheery

Re: Going Postal on Sky

Postby Fortune Clutterbuck » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:20 pm

only just caught up with this and really wanted to like it but half way through am disappointed
Vetinari is too tall and too ginger
Reacher is not tall enough and the otherwise admirable Suchet seems to be chanelling an Elizabethen Blackadder but not very well
Moist is not nearly charismatic enough - could they not have got Cumberbatch?
I cannot see the sverely dressed Miss Dearheart bothering with lipstick and nail polish ... and what on earth was happening with her hair at the back?
And don't even start on the tinkering with the plot to introduce a Christmas Carol style makeover and the PC explanation that Miss Dearheart only smoked because she was driven to it by Moist's perfidious schemes

Fortune Clutterbuck

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum