Tonyblack wrote:It occurred to me that many of the new members joining here have only just discovered Discworld and Terry's books. Maybe you've just read one and wanted to know more. Or you found the experience so intense, you wanted to share your experience with other junkies.
I must confess that, as someone who has been following the series right from the start, it's a bit difficult for me remember what that experience of reading Discworld for the first time is like.
So - a few questions for new readers:
1. How did you come to read your first Discworld book?
2. What was your first Discworld book?
3. Will you read more?
4. Which one do you intend to read next?
5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary?
I just registered when I found this site today, so I hope you don't mind me answering.
1. My wife is a huge Discworld fan and got me into it by saying how good they are.
2. Hogfather was my first, because I had watched the movie, thanks again to my wife.
3. I will read them all! I adore his style and wit!!
4. I am currently reading Wyrd Sisters, so the next will be the next book in order. (After Hogfather, I decided to read them all in order of publication.)
5. I think Hogfather stands on it's own, and explained the Discworld adequately enough for me. I think when I get to it again, I will understand it a bit better. I did feel there was some background missing when I read it, but as I get closer to it, I am seeing some of what I overlooked when I originally read Hogfather.
Love the site!