Going Postal on Sky

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Quark » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:28 am

I've read the book but I still want to watch the movie... :? Should I?
Quark

Postby meerkat » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:43 am

I know how you feel! I know pTerry has said that he cuts and pastes a bit but taking out the sorting machine! Sacharissa giving up smoking? It's
like re-writing the whole book!

Let's give it the benefit of the doubt! It's got the pTerry seal of approval or he wouldn' have anything to do with it.
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:17 am

Quark wrote:I've read the book but I still want to watch the movie... :? Should I?
I would say so,take it for what it is a good adaption of a Discworld film. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Kittycat1977 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:44 am

Having read your comments I can't wait to watch this.

It is being repeated on Sky this Friday from 6.00 until 10.00 so no having to wait a day to see part 2. Hurray!! :P
Never stand behind a cow when it is sneezing.
Kittycat1977

Postby meerkat » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:04 pm

Kittycat, which Sky?
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby sheilaj » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:56 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:Oh! there will probably be the usual whinners and snipers about it not being protrayed as they thought or be that faithful to the book per se, instead of being thankful that a film is being made inspite of the current financial situation thats happening. :( :roll:

hello...whiner here :)
sheilaj

Postby poohcarrot » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:11 pm

Hi and welcome Whiner. Feel free to whine as much as you want. :lol:

I've only seen the COM movie. I haven't seen Hogfather, any of the animations or Going Postal.

COM was complete pants.

I also haven't listened to any audio book. As I've said before, I have my own image of various characters and to be honest, I don't think any other media adaptation apart from book form will satisfy me. :P
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:24 pm

Hi there Sheilaj :D

I haven't seen it yet either and only tiny bits of the others - although I watched the 1st episode of the Wyrd Sisters animation and was bitterly disappointed, so didn't bother with the rest. Ditto the audio books

Pooh - all this agreeing is getting ridic! :roll: :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:09 pm

Hi Whiner feel better now. :lol:

Pooh COM/LF was a bit cobbled together being made out of two books but I still liked it for what it was,but I though Hogfather was a lot better, and Going Postal just raised the bar a bit more , there were some good character parts played, Vetinari was brilliant as was Moist and Reacher. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby sheilaj » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:27 pm

As I have said on another thread, if Terry is happy, its not for me to cavil but IMHO what they did to Postal was like taking the Hope Diamond and saying "We can't afford to make a setting that will fit it, so we'll just smash it up a bit, sling in theses fake rubies and use this putty to fix it into this fake gold."
The diamond shards still twinkle but oooooh the shame of it
sheilaj

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:48 pm

They don't have the Hollywood millions to throw at it ,and I would dread to see what a hash they would make of it if they got involved which I don't think will ever happen judging by what happened when they had bought the option of one another book. :roll:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby sheilaj » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:53 pm

Well the Harry Potters were good and true to the books, LOTR were okay...especially the bit where the orcs were created. Wasn't crazy about the Narnias.
sheilaj

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:38 pm

I will agree with that enjoyed all those films,but I think it was Mort not quite sure about that, but they wanted to take Death out of it. :lol:

Apparently to satisfy Mid West Bible belt America. :roll:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby swreader » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:34 am

meerkat wrote:I know how you feel! I know pTerry has said that he cuts and pastes a bit but taking out the sorting machine! Sacharissa giving up smoking? It's
like re-writing the whole book!

Let's give it the benefit of the doubt! It's got the pTerry seal of approval or he wouldn' have anything to do with it.

Surely you mean Adora Belle (not Sacharissa). BTW, how did they get rid of Gyrle (the banshee)?

For those of you who, like me, find a film version of a book basically dissatisfying, you have two choices. Watch the film and be glad if it hasn't been too badly cut up or avoid the film/TV altogether. From the comments here, I think (without having seen it) that the choices made regarding the sorting machine and the smokoking were very understandable. And much as I like Going Postal, it's hardly the "Hope Diamond" among his books. Come on guys--get real. When a movie is made from a book, there are always cuts or expansions (in the case of a play). All you can do is hope for a talented screenwriter who understands the spirit of the book.

I used to let myself get bothered, since the books were great favorites of mine, watching the Brother Cadfael TV shows on PBS because while Derek Jacobi is a marvellous actor--he looks anything but Welsh. Of course, my choice of actor for that role was Richard Burton, but he was already dead when they started making them. But, now I just enjoy them as they are--and am thankful for small mercies.
swreader

Postby Danny B » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:52 am

Finally got a few spare hours in which to watch this, thanks to Sky+.

I have to say, I was very impressed with the show and thought it was several orders of magnitude better then the previous two mini-series Sky have been involved in. I thought that Hogfather was a bitter disappointment and CoM/TLF could and should have been far better than it was, but was ruined by train wreck levels of bad casting.

Going Postal on the other hand, was the first time I've seen a TP book adapted to the screen wherein the actors actually capture the essence of the characters they're portraying (with one exception, more on that below). Richard Coyle played a man coming to terms with the enormity of his previous crimes perfectly, David Suchet was his usual exuberant self, Claire Foy was magnificent as Adora and Charles Dance was a revelation as Vetinari. Andrew Sachs was better than he's been in years as Groat and Ian Bonar was equally good as the awkward Stanley. I thought all of the main characters were portrayed with uniform excellence. Even the tweaking of Mr Pump made perfect sense within the way was story was told on screen.

As far as plot goes, there were some pretty obvious changes from the book. The Sorting Machine in particular was conspicuous by its absence, but I don't think that in any way detracted from the main story. The Sorting Machine was never more than a MacGuffin to begin with, the real story of Going Postal is Moist von Lipwig and his gradual transformation from selfish, arrogant thief, to principled, cocky smart arse who wants to atone for past wrongs.

In the books this takes place in a reluctant internal monologue; Moist can barely admit to himself, let alone others, that he's ready and willing to seek redemption. That sort of thing just doesn't work on screen, as anyone who's seen the original cut of Bladerunner with its droning voice over will tell you. Because of this, Mr Pump becomes a strange Jiminy Cricket style character, constantly prodding at Moist and reminding him of who he was previously and what he had done, while the letters become a sort of Greek Chorus on Moist's past crimes. Choices which I thought worked very well for a screen adaptation of a book which takes place mostly inside the head of a character whose internal monologues are totally at odds with his external actions. Moist is an unreliable narrator of his own behaviour in the novel, lacking the self awareness to fully understand his own feelings and actions. In order for him to be a believable lead character on screen, this process needs to take place externally. The telly is a visual and visceral medium, after all. That's why the X Factor gets higher ratings than Steven Poliakoff dramas. :wink:

There were other changes, bits and bobs of cutting and pasting. Moving the order scenes happen in, tweaking characters to better fit an entirely different medium of storytelling or their canonical physical appearance to suit the right actor to capture the essence of said character, keeping the budget at sensible levels, time restraints, pacing and so on and so forth. All of them made perfect storytelling sense to me, with one glaring exception... The fact that Angua changed in front of other people. This seems to have been done purely to squeeze in a werewolf effects shot and leaves some glaring holes, should any City Watch book be adapted in the future.

Did it stick faithfully 100% to the book? Nope, but if you want the book, then read the book. Did it actually bring to a thoroughly different medium the essence of the book's story and plot? With resounding success, I thought.

Overall, a 9/10 would be my mark. Far better than the 3 I would give Hogfather, or the 5 I would give CoM.
Danny B

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum