going postal

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

going postal

Postby chris.ph » Sun May 30, 2010 7:06 pm

well then what did you think of part 1 then?

i love black patent leather boots :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby michelanCello » Sun May 30, 2010 7:50 pm

Tomorrow, I want to hear...er... read everything!!! :wink: Pleasepleaseplease!!
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Jason » Sun May 30, 2010 8:00 pm

I didn't watch it tonight but did watch it back at the beginning of April. I am so glad other people have had chance to enjoy it. I really liked the adaptation and thought it was a real step up from the previous adaptations.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun May 30, 2010 8:29 pm

As usual it was very well done, and the effects have definately raised the bar this time.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tiffany » Sun May 30, 2010 8:54 pm

Oh! B*gger! I missed it!
Do sky have a watch again site, like BBC/ITV? If not, looks like I wait for the DVD.ImageImage
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby foolsgold » Sun May 30, 2010 9:35 pm

I thought it was very good actually. I've never read Going Postal. I'm new to the Terry Pratchett books, (just read The Colour Of Magic). But yes I thought Poirot and Sachs were good in it :)
"Life should be full of strangeness, like a rich painting" - Mark E Smith, The Fall.
foolsgold

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun May 30, 2010 9:59 pm

Tiffany wrote:Oh! B*gger! I missed it!
Do sky have a watch again site, like BBC/ITV? If not, looks like I wait for the DVD.ImageImage
No problem there Tiffany just keep next Friday at 6 o'clock free as part 1 is being repeated on Sky 1. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tiffany » Mon May 31, 2010 12:52 pm

Thanks Who's Wee Dug, but have just seen part1 is on Sky 2 at 4 p.m. & part2 on Sky 1 at 6 p.m.. I can watch the whole thing in one go. Whoopeee! :D :D :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon May 31, 2010 1:27 pm

Yest :D allready bookmarked it I think or was going to. :mrgreen:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Cheery » Mon May 31, 2010 7:58 pm

Is someone going to put it up on youtube or something? I don't get Skyone and I can't wait for the DVD! I'm too excited! :D
Cheery

Postby Tiffany » Mon May 31, 2010 8:20 pm

I really enjoyed that, brilliant acting, brilliant effects & I love Boris. :lol:
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

At Last!

Postby CJDobs » Mon May 31, 2010 8:30 pm

Finally, finally, finally, they got it just right.

Hogfather was a good (if slow paced) dramatic representation with weak (dare I say cheap?) production that let the plot dominate the humour. A mistake in my opinion.

TCOM had better production but bordered on the realms of silliness (which maybe indicative of the 'time and place' the first two books were written) but still wasn't something I would show my non discworld reading friends as to 'why' Terry Pratchett is a genius and turn them onto the books.

Going Postal however was a huge soaring success. The pace, script, humour, plot, acting, sets and production were all just . . . . superb, and there was room for real emotional growth too! The Moist/Adora love story was tantalising to watch.

It's a shame they didn't opt for 'Making Money' as the next production as the actors shone so brightly in this adaptation that they should be back on screen.

Yes, there were some changes and some new plot lines but it didn't lose it's spirit at all. It's the celluloid after all, if Peter Jackson can chuck Aragorn off a cliff, then I'm sure Vadim Jean can pull the odd clacks wire in a different direction . . .

My one tiny gripe was the Golems. They looked so . . rubbery and were for some reason modelled on Marvin the Paranoid Android from the British TV version of Hitchhikers. No biggie, but as much as I enjoyed the humanisation of them in the voice acting, I do feel Golems would/should be more impassive . . . .

Out of the three Sky movies though, this one IS the closest to Discworld. so far.

A proper must see :)
CJDobs

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon May 31, 2010 9:54 pm

Hogfather was self funded COM/TLF was the 1st one with Sky finance, I have no complaints about either apart from D.Janson playing Rincewind but he put in a good performance. Going Postal was excellent I thought. :D
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Mon May 31, 2010 11:33 pm

Great review, CJDobs! :D I'll enjoy watching this --- someday.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Moonchild » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:58 am

Hello,

I'm a newbie since a few minutes and this is my first posting. Come from Bavaria and so I have to wait until the DVD is availble, so I'm happy to get some infos here before.

It may sound a bit weird but I always see real people like artists whilst reading books. For me the one and only Granny Weatherwax is Helen Mirren :D. And a couple of days ago I saw a picture of John McCoy from the band GMT and thought give him a spiky hat and you have the perfect Mustrum Ridcully! Maybe this would be an idea for the next movie?

Cheers,
Moonchild
Moonchild

Next

Return to TV, film, theatre