60%
Over- budgeted nonsense
27%
Never really cared for Alice
13%

Total votes : 15

How was Alice in wonderland?

Postby theoldlibrarian » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:37 pm

I know there is already an Alice thread but Im making a new one. Quite simply, what did you think of it?
It is not enough to succeed, others must fail
-Gore Vidal
theoldlibrarian

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:41 pm

Going to see it Wednesday afternoon. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby theoldlibrarian » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:50 pm

Yeh, it'll take a few days for this thread to take off :)
It is not enough to succeed, others must fail
-Gore Vidal
theoldlibrarian

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:33 pm

I loved it absolutley brilliant Depp was great an Oscar for sure next year for him,but the charactor who really cracked me up was the March Hare so funny I must get on DVD when it comes out.

What a great film. :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby meerkat » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:45 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:I loved it absolutley brilliant Depp was great an Oscar for sure next year for him,but the charactor who really cracked me up was the March Hare so funny I must get on DVD when it comes out.

What a great film. :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I agree! Bring on the DVD!!
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Tiffany » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:26 pm

Brilliant film.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:33 pm

Just about everything was 'right', so much so they didn't really it NEED it to be 3D (although that was pretty impressive). Long may Burton and Depp (and Bonham-Carter too) continue to collaberate :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby michelanCello » Sat May 01, 2010 8:30 am

It was too much HolyWood for me... I mean, Depp and Helena Bonham Carter were brilliant, of course, but I expected some more from Tim Burton. I guess Disney didn't let his imagination fly free... as not to make it too scary for the little kids, maybe, or just to keep the home-movie feeling. Anyhow, I didn't like the girl playing Alice either. And the plot could have been better too.
And it didn't help much that I got a panic attack at the end and my mom had to call the ambulance... but that was the fault of 3D, not of Tim Burton, so that doesn't really count. :wink:
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Fizz » Sat May 01, 2010 12:25 pm

I am not voting because there is not an option for how I feel.

Meh.

It was enjoyable and entertaining but it was not genius or earth-shattering to me.

I know what I'm getting when I get a Tim Burton film, which is a great thing and very much fill of wonder and fun, but it's also expected and predictable.
"We are the people our parents warned us about." - Jimmy Buffet -

www.whitesnails.com
Fizz

Postby Ponder Stibbons » Tue May 04, 2010 11:18 am

I think its great, funny, but not quite the same feel. Great effects, esp. cheshire cat :lol: Loved him. My mum thought it was scarier than the last ones. More action, but very good for different groups of people; not too much in one genre. V.mysterious and confusing( :? ) but brilliant nevertheless.
Smilies are friends, not food. Image
..............Now You See It, Now You Don't..............Image
Proud Copper Widow
Ponder Stibbons

Postby bruniezm » Mon May 31, 2010 11:56 am

Hi,

It was simplymind blowing and great to watch. A great anime movie. Really enjoyed it a lot.
bruniezm

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon May 31, 2010 1:26 pm

michelanCello wrote:It was too much HolyWood for me... I mean, Depp and Helena Bonham Carter were brilliant, of course, but I expected some more from Tim Burton. I guess Disney didn't let his imagination fly free... as not to make it too scary for the little kids, maybe, or just to keep the home-movie feeling. Anyhow, I didn't like the girl playing Alice either. And the plot could have been better too.
And it didn't help much that I got a panic attack at the end and my mom had to call the ambulance... but that was the fault of 3D, not of Tim Burton, so that doesn't really count. :wink:

There's an 18 version too - for adults only of course, but I suspect that hinges mostly on the girl who played Alice not coping quite so well with her clothes not fitting her... :roll:

Not 100% on that theory, but the 18 version wasn't in 3D at the cinema we went to, so we opted for 3D having enjoyed Avatar so much in that. Wrong choice as it turned out as 3D wasn't really needed so much. :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby MissTeatime » Mon May 31, 2010 3:30 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Not 100% on that theory, but the 18 version wasn't in 3D at the cinema we went to, so we opted for 3D having enjoyed Avatar so much in that. Wrong choice as it turned out as 3D wasn't really needed so much. :D

I agree, my brother was really impressed by Avatar in 3D but both he and I thought that it didn't really add anything to the experience with Alice in Wonderland.

I went to see it with my friends, one of whom is a huge fan of the Alice in Wonderland story. Her enthusiasm made me enjoy the movie more, too. :D
"You can think and you can fight, but the world's always movin', and if you wanna stay ahead you gotta dance."
MissTeatime

Postby Tiffany » Mon May 31, 2010 8:22 pm

Alice DVD out soon.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby kendustin7 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:33 pm

A fun film with awesome visual design. I think that over time detractors will mellow and Burton's Alice will become a classic. Futterwackens not withstanding.
kendustin7

Next

Return to TV, film, theatre