Witches' Hats

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Witches' Hats

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:19 am

I've recently been reading A Hat Full of Sky and a lot is made in there about the typical witch hat.

Now we all know what a witches' hat looks like - we've grown up hearing stories about witches and many of them have the pointy hats we associate with them.

The question is - where does this type of hat come from? Is it based on something else or did witches really wear hats like this? :?

Given the way witches have been treated over the years (on this world) one would imagine that they wouldn't want to advertise the fact. But again and again in popular culture, witches are depicted wearing the pointy hat.

Any ideas about the origin of these hats?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby cols » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:48 am

http://witches.monstrous.com/witch_s_hat.htm

This gives a reasonable explanation as to possible origins

I myself think that cloaked figures out on windy nights, wind fills hood, hood stands up, onlookers see figures in the distance with pointy hats and so it begins... just a theory
cols

Postby poohbcarrot » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:02 am

Hey Cols

If you reply to this post you will become a full member (if my reading of the thread was correct) :D
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby cols » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:09 am

:D :D okay here goes......
cols

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:32 am

Now that's magic! :D

Congrats cols.
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:08 pm

i hope you googled that cols and didnt allready know the answer :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby cols » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:35 pm

I'm just in amazement that the URL actually works. Yippe

Little bit of history here(no don't fall asleep yet!) only got my Laptop in October and besides a night class on wordprocessing and 'how to send an email' I'm completely new to all this.I must be the only 33yr old who didn't have email till a couple of months ago :oops:
I digress ...Yes I googled it . Been up since 4.30am after 2and a half hours sleep..Going through a regular bout of insomnia and sad as it sounds it gave me something to do!

A simple yes probably would have sufficed.sorry :oops: :D
cols

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:44 pm

Nods at cols URL - Monstrous is a great site. I looked up Basilisks, Manticores and Unicorns up on there the other day for a story game on my other site and it was really helpful. Monstropedia(section of Wiki but kind of stand-alone) is also v. useful and includes human monsters - tons of stuff on zombies, vamps & witches/wizzes too of course...

For visual junkies there's a very aesthetic and classy site HERE which is a little unwieldy but the artwork for the galleries (much of it of from classical artists) is gorgeous
Last edited by Jan Van Quirm on Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tiffany » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:53 pm

Isn't a Wizards (or Wizzards :D ) hat similar to a Witches hat? If they are different, in what way are they different? :? :? :? :)
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:53 am

Generally, I think wizard's hats don't have a brim. :?
Tonyblack

Postby Tiffany » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:06 pm

Having a quick look through The Last Hero, Paul Kidby, the Wizards do have brims on their hats in that one, but in the later graphic novels by Steven Ross they look as if they are wearing pointy beanies. I prefer Paul Kidby's illustrations, personally.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Return to The Broken Drum