The WATCH Trilogy - homage to Sir pTerry?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

The WATCH Trilogy - homage to Sir pTerry?

Postby meerkat » Thu May 27, 2010 4:13 pm

I am halfway through Sergei Lukyenko's The Last Watch, the sequel to the Watch trilogy.

Imagine my one little brain cell's delight when it comes across the word/s GOLEMS and made by scientists (ok slight difference) as well as they were made from clay.

Helloo, says little brain cell (having to work overtime). So, it transpires the Others (both sides and Inquisition) are Pratchett fans, hey?

Sorry if this spoils anyones enjoyment of the The Watch Trilogy and the one after!

These books are not what I thought they'd be i.e Vampire-gothic-total wipeout.
In general I thought them all a thoroughly good read about those protecting the human race -good and bad. I also thought it a good eye-opener on life in Russia. An excellent read. Not for those who are frightened of Vampires.
Only niggle was that It didn't explain the begining of the Russian jokes. I would have liked to have known what they were!
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby michelanCello » Thu May 27, 2010 5:10 pm

Have you seen the movie? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0403358/
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Thu May 27, 2010 5:26 pm

Have seen it but didn't like it. Do like the books though :wink:
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Re: The WATCH Trilogy - homage to Sir pTerry?

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu May 27, 2010 5:29 pm

meerkat wrote:I am halfway through Sergei Lukyenko's The Last Watch, the sequel to the Watch trilogy.

Imagine my one little brain cell's delight when it comes across the word/s GOLEMS and made by scientists (ok slight difference) as well as they were made from clay.

Helloo, says little brain cell (having to work overtime). So, it transpires the Others (both sides and Inquisition) are Pratchett fans, hey?

Golems are typical in Jewish folklore. :)I have the 1st three books not got round to reading them yet, but have seen the two films looking out for the 3rd if it gets made. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Thu May 27, 2010 5:52 pm

"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby meerkat » Thu May 27, 2010 6:19 pm

Haven't seen the films. Are they true to the books?
I am very surprised they haven't made a bigger noise over here! Or have I been asleep and missed it? :oops:
meerkat

Postby meerkat » Fri May 28, 2010 8:33 pm

Terry Pratchett actually gets a mention in The Last Watch. Had to reread it twice. It was mentioned along with happiness and humour.
I knew this Lukyenenko gut liked Pratchett! 8)
meerkat

Postby Bascule42 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:07 pm

There is definitely a touch of the feeling from Pratchett's later DW books in the Watch Trilogy. The same kind of, OK there's Trolls, Dwarfs, and Gnomes, but with vampires, werewolves, and most background characters generally being nasty minded people who would sell their own granny for a dollar, (or at least rent her for a few hours), there's none of the fairytale "We must defeat the evil king and save the little elves" vibe that accompanies a lot of fantasy novels, (not a bad thing of course, mostly). Which is a similar feeling I got from Lukyanenko's books, which I think is born in part from the fact that these are Russian stories, set in Russia with no consideration for western audiences, (Definitely a good thing) as well as the deviation from the usual swords and sorcery.

Regarding the 3rd film. I'd read that the chances of it are quite slim. Apparently Timur Bekmambetov was all set to make all three films. The studio however has other ideas. Basically, the film Wanted, (James McAvoy, Angelina Jolie), is actually what should have been The Twilight Watch. Indeed Bekmambetov describes it as an American version of The Watch. I wouldn't hold your breath for The Twilight Watch. Not from the same director anyway.
It seems that beggars can actually be choosers.
Bascule42

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:30 pm

Not that really bothered about which director as long as the film is Ok,just wanted to see how it panned out, shame though if there is no more. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Courtjezter » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:41 am

About the watch films. From what i believe, which may or may not be true, the Day Watch film amalgamated the last 2 books to some extent. Although i have yet to see Day Watch, and i have not read the books yet. But if they come reccomended then they may be my next purchase.
"Generally speaking, when scary things get scared - not good."
Courtjezter

Postby DaveC » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:50 am

Love the films! Haven't read the books, though, heard they are quite different...

Best subtitles ever, if you've seen it you'll know what I mean!

Amazing mix of technology and mythology with awesome effects and edgyness mixed with retro.
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Return to Non-Discworld books