Making Money

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tiffany » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:52 pm

Hi Doug, welcome to the forum. I must re-read Making Money, but I've got to The Last Continent now & nearly finished it.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby poohbcarrot » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:45 am

I agree with the negative comments about MM. I thought Going Postal was a far superior book.

Of all TP's books, I'd rate MM and Monstrous Regiment as the least enjoyable (but still way ahead of other books)
poohbcarrot

Making Money

Postby blobski » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:36 am

Hi there, I'm very new to this, but have just finished MM, now need to get a copy of going postal. I Loved the character of Arnold/ Moist, yet another of Terry's amazing observational people, but I can't shake David Tennant in a gold suit out of my head now!. I'll have to see how it compares to GP. On the comments about least liked, I have to announce I didn't like The Truth, it smacked of paying penance to Terry's alma mater of journalism- Just my take on it, and great to hear eveyone else's perspective. keep on clacking.
blobski

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:23 am

Hi blobski and welcome. Yes, do check out Going Postal - it's easily a better book than Making Money - at least in my opinion. I know a lot of people think otherwise, :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:50 pm

welcome to the site blobski :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:16 pm

It occurred to me the other day that if you think of Making Money as the second book in a trilogy, then it might nmake a lot more sense. Terry is supposed to be writing another Moist book and maybe some of the stuff in Making Money will make more sense in there.

Or maybe not. :?
Tonyblack

Postby Nienna » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:39 pm

It's funny - I picked up Making Money a few weeks ago and had it finished in a jiffy. I was so entertained the whole way through and enjoyed it so much I couldn't put it down. But with Going Postal, I only managed to get about 1/4 of the way through the book before I gave up, and I don't really remember any of it. o_O I remember feeling as if it was a bit of a labour to read.

However, that was when I was finishing uni, so it might just have been that I was a bit stressed out then and didn't have much time on my hands for proper reading, so reading all these comments has made me determined to give it another go. If I liked MM so much, I'm sure I'll love GP! I'm also interested to see whether having (properly) read MM first will have an impact on which book I think is best. :)
Nienna

Postby chris.ph » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:28 pm

i felt the same way about nation still havent managed to plough thru it :roll:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Ogg » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:54 pm

I always read any new Pratchett twice in succession due to being a naturally fast reader. I'm glad I did as my opinion of 'Making Money' changed dramatically after the second read through.
Apart 'from Monstrous Regiment' MM's the second book I ever felt disappointed with. It just didn't seem to grab me the way every thing else had done...the whole Cosmo/rotting finger thing...gross!
But...after several more attempts I realise it's another class act. I like the interplay between Vetinari and Moist and the relevation of a more cerebral side to Vetinari was a joy to read. I'm waffling aren't I?:)
"Without music, life would be a mistake" Nietzsche
Ogg

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:09 pm

Oddly enough I didn't much care for Monstrous Regiment on the first reading, but really loved it on the second. But with Making Money I just couldn't warm to it at all on the second reading. :?
Tonyblack

Postby Nienna » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:22 pm

Ogg wrote:But...after several more attempts I realise it's another class act. I like the interplay between Vetinari and Moist and the relevation of a more cerebral side to Vetinari was a joy to read.

Yes! Loved that! I always thought Moist and Vimes were quite similar, in a way, except that Moist is a bit more... jovial. :lol: And when you consider that one is a self-proclaimed criminal and the other is the head of the city watch it really makes you think. Great minds, maybe? :D

As well, I love the idea of the gold being so useless and the paper bills becoming the worth themselves - its a theme that popped up in Nation, too: the question of why humans value gold? Because it is shiny? But the fact is it's useless! It's just lumps of metal, and not even a very good metal - one of the worst metallic conductors and very soft. :lol: All it's good for is looking pretty. Now I look at the notes in my purse and think: the worth of gold in a piece of paper, and neither are really worth anything. Out of context, of course...
Nienna

Postby Catch-up » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:16 am

I recently re-read this one for a discussion. It was my second time through and I enjoyed more than the first time through. One of the things I found frustrating was how much was going on in the book. I could see how it all related to the plot, but there were things I would have loved to know more about. Like the Cabinet of Curiosity. And what was the significance of the golem pieces that were made so finely? I'm really hoping Tony is right and it's the second in a trilogy. Hopefully some of these things will get filled out in a third book?
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:34 am

I got the same feeling from Making Money as I did with Pirates of the Caribbean 2. I came out feeling that I'd just watched a lenthy trailer for part 3. :)
Tonyblack

Postby Tiffany » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:17 am

I couldn't get into Making Money either, I must reread it & see if I like it any better.
I loved Monsterous Regiment, any book where females do well over the blokes is fine by me. :D :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Dotsie » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:52 pm

Tiffany wrote:I loved Monsterous Regiment

I really liked it too, I'm surprised to hear so many people didn't.

One bit I thought was wrong was Vimes giggling like a teenager at the posmposity of others, in front of Polly (can't remember the scene exactly). Seemed out of character to me, Vimes tends to be more dry than silly.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels