Knighthood for Terry Pratchett

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby SamWalker » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:11 pm

Yet another newbie just joined to offer more hearty CONGRATULATIONS. I can't say I've ever really been interested in the Honours List before, but I am truly delighted - and I'd also like to say a personal thank you for the hours of reading pleasure, furtive giggling, and puzzling over lines when I just KNOW there's a joke in there and I'm simply not getting it!
The world belongs to those of us who still believe we can. (Yes, I know it's not Pratchett but I love it).
SamWalker

Postby Scudnibber » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:37 pm

It's about bloomin time :D

Just have to add that it is well deserved and a big thank you Sir Terry for all the hours of pleasure your writing has given us, you're a star. This news made me smile for the first time today :wink:
Is this a kissing book?

Princess Bride
Scudnibber

Knighthood

Postby kermie101 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:38 pm

Another forum newbie, don't normally do gushing but:

MEGA CONGRATULATIONS AND HIGHLY DESERVED!

Have been reading the works of Sir Terry since The Colour of Magic was borrowed from wee bruv one mid-80s Christmas; met him very briefly at a signing in what was then Ottackers, Bromley, back in 1998, so Carpe Jugulum is handled very carefully. He came across as such a nice chap, telling the minders & book store staff he'd stay as long as needed ... we were a bit worried, as though I'd bunked out of work to queue early I was still in a long queue long after official end time. But Terry made sure we were all seen and had a word for everyone.

I seem to be last to hear the news of the knighthood but have had my nose in Folklore of Discworld all day (already polished off Nation this Christmas).

And now I must go or dinner will burn!!

A Happy and as Healthy as possible New Year to you, Sir!!

Donna
kermie101

Postby motley » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:32 pm

CONGRATULATIONS!

I loved the comment about using your title 'sir' to write to Magistrates.

When do they deliver the arms, armour and big white horse?

I've been an avid reader since the first copy of 'Wyrd Sisters' was lent to me, just under 20 years ago. Thank you for all the laughs, and the clever, clever satire.
motley

Postby Tiffany » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:50 pm

Many CONGRATULATIONS SIR TERRY PRATCHETT very well deserved.
You are a Master Story Teller Sir.Image

Hi, To all the new members of this illustrious forum. :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Sirandilas » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:09 pm

Can I get a Me Too!

Registered pretty much just to say a hearty well done and congratulations on the Knighthood, Sir Terrence of Ankh-Morpork.

Although I cant help but think that making you a Captain in the City Watch would have been more fitting

Also I am ashamed to admit that the announcement about the award was also the first I heard about Terry suffering from Alzheimers.

Not much I can really say other than never underestimate the power of a determined mind to heal itself. Sad news but humor is the best medicine so you are a ready made "miracle cure"

BTW I have been forced to stop reading Discworld books when I am on long flights as my sudden outbursts of laughter prompt the flight attendants to ask if I am on any medication they need to know about.....Thanks for that ;)

It is at times like these that I am reminded of something that I once heard from a very wise man indeed.

No matter what came his way in life, good or bad, fair or foul, he would always look it square in the eye (or eyes depending on the species) and utter that motto for life...."OoK"

Congratulations, all the best, and thank you for many happy years of reading, I am looking ofward to many more to come!
Sirandilas

Postby DivingBudgie » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:46 am

Whoop whoop whoop. I am so happy I am spinning in my seat. Apart from Brian Blessed I can not think of a person who so better deserves the recognition. Will he wear plumes? And how about those dukal robes of Vimes'. Will they get an airing? And as for the coat of arms I can only begin to imagine.

Raises a glass to toast the Knighting of PTerry.

Now will that be Sir Terry, Sir Pratchett, Sir PTerrry, or just hey mate (well I am an Aussie) :lol:
"The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity." --Harlan Ellison
DivingBudgie

Another newbie

Postby MadAl » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:52 pm

Yeah I also have registered to express my delight and congratulations to Pterry. He has entertained me and stimulated my mind since I first found a newly published CoM hidden on a bookshop shelf. Long may he continue.

Furthermore, now he has a knight hood t'will keep his ears warm in bed, forsooth </mangled quote>
:D
MadAl

A Knighthood, Brilliant.

Postby Pysgie » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:16 am

:lol:
Arise Sir Terry, Next Stop, The Patrician???

Pysgie of Dartmoor
Pysgie

Postby Annebn » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:40 pm

Congratulations Terry!
"But you read a lot of books, I'm thinking. Hard to have faith, ain't it, when you've read too many books?"
-- Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Annebn

Knight Hood

Postby freddy » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:26 pm

:D woopie its wonderful news, it was my boyfriend who spotted the joyous news on Yahoos home page and then told me, really thrilled. I enjoyed reading the artical too :D Hope the ceremony will be televised :D now that would be great.
A big hello to all new members too
freddy

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:29 pm

"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby freddy » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:09 pm

That pitcher is well funny Tonyblack that you have posted hee hee :D love it. :D
freddy

Postby Jinx » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:48 am

... I don't think I've given my congrats yet... what an oversight.

Anyway ditto on what ^^^ they all say.

A big congratulations to Sir Terry... or if you prefer Sir PTerry.

(Nice find Tony)
Jinx

Postby DivingBudgie » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:32 pm

I love the picture! It is perfect. Arise Sir Pterry
"The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity." --Harlan Ellison
DivingBudgie

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett