When will we get a proper Disc World movie?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Quark » Tue May 11, 2010 9:54 am

We-ell... I'll be learning Adobe Flash, soon, and Cheery is a very good comic artist, and I'm sure a lot of people here would be willing to put their hands up for it... :roll: We could get something going here. :)
Quark

Postby mystmoon » Tue May 11, 2010 9:58 am

As someone who is (hopefully) doing a BA in Animation next year, I am all for it!
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby Quark » Tue May 11, 2010 10:08 am

BA? I can barely move objects around the window at the moment, Myst. :oops: . You can take the animation position if you want :P
Quark

Postby Archbishop73 » Tue May 11, 2010 2:36 pm

I've just read throught the thread and had a shiver at the thought of McDonalds toys.

I know that the Clarecraft fiugres are rare and retired, but the are the only ones that are pure Discworld.

.... still collecting (and missing a lot)
-------------------------------------------------
Cardinal! Give the rack a turn!
Archbishop73

Postby Cheery » Tue May 11, 2010 4:33 pm

I've seen that advert thousands of times and I still think it's absulutely brilliant! She's also on deviantart and she's a wonderful person and a huge talent when it comes to drawing and animating. And she's influenced me too. Did you know that she did this after only a year of school? :shock: That's bloody brilliant, come to think of it.

I really want to learn how to animate and do it professionally. It would be pretty much my dream job. :lol:
Cheery

Postby Cheery » Tue May 11, 2010 4:41 pm

I think it was actually less than a year.
Cheery

Postby mystmoon » Tue May 11, 2010 6:05 pm

I hope I can do stuff that impressive after my course. I can do stop motion and a bit of 3D and thats it
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby Quark » Wed May 12, 2010 8:16 am

Oh yea, I used to do hundreds of stop-motion animations with my Lego and a webcam. They usually had six frames per second, minimal storyline, no voices, and a whole load of special effects :P
I also experiment with machinima, but making a DW movie with that would be even harder.
Quark

Postby kakaze » Sat May 15, 2010 1:43 am

Tonyblack wrote:Seriously - has there ever been a movie adaptation of a much loved book (or series of books) that the fans of the book have been 100% happy with? :?

I'd say:
Shogun
The Teahouse of the August Moon
The Far Pavilions
and, I guess, The Secret Garden (1949)

All of these films followed the book very closely. In Shogun, you can actually read the dialogue in the books as the characters are speaking.

I thought the first two Harry Potter movies were pretty close to the book as well (except for the silly flying car scene in #2).
kakaze

Postby Tonyblack » Sat May 15, 2010 2:45 am

kakaze wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:Seriously - has there ever been a movie adaptation of a much loved book (or series of books) that the fans of the book have been 100% happy with? :?

I'd say:
Shogun
The Teahouse of the August Moon
The Far Pavilions
and, I guess, The Secret Garden (1949)

All of these films followed the book very closely. In Shogun, you can actually read the dialogue in the books as the characters are speaking.

I thought the first two Harry Potter movies were pretty close to the book as well (except for the silly flying car scene in #2).

But Shogun wasn't a movie adaptation - it was a TV series over several weeks. That meant they had more time to do justice to the book. There was an attempt to make a movie of Tai Pan and it was awful. :?

If I was given the choice between reading Shogun or watching the TV series - I'd read the book. It's much better - even if the TV series is a good adaptation. :wink:

I can't speak for the others you mentioned because I haven't read the books or seen the adaptaions. But as to the Harry Potter movies - sure, they were pretty good adaptations, but were they as good as the books?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby poohcarrot » Sat May 15, 2010 7:47 am

Shogun is one of my fave books ever, but I didn't like the TV series. :P
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Sat May 15, 2010 5:49 pm

If you look at the opening shots of the Shogun TV series, of the sailing ship at sea, you can see the shadow of a helicopter. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Previous

Return to TV, film, theatre