Going Postal - duplicated/missing pages - is it just me?!

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Going Postal - duplicated/missing pages - is it just me?!

Postby pritcham » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:20 pm

Hi

I'm reading through this at the moment and thought that a kind of flashback was taking place as the text seemed (very!) familiar - turned out it's duplicated about 40 pages (at a guess - I don't have it with me at the moment) so I'm missing part of the story (I don't know where the golden suit/winged hat came into the story for example) - is this a common printing issue with this particular book?

Thanks in advance
Martin
pritcham

Postby chris.ph » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:56 pm

welcome to the site :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby silverstreak » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:14 pm

Not in my copy it's not.
Hi and welcome to the site.
Dark in here isn't it.
silverstreak

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:16 pm

Hi Martin - that happened to me before but I can't remember what book it was. :?

'Fraid you're going to need to take the book back.
Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, You don't NEED to follow ANYBODY! You've got to think for your selves! You're ALL individuals!
Yes! We're all individuals!
Tonyblack
Site Admin

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:50 pm

And welcome from me :lol:
Did you buy it in Tesco's or one of the big supermarkets by any chance?

I had that with The half-blood Prince one time and they missed out a huge chunk - about 80 pages - and then repeated 40 pages that they'd managed to keep in :?: You get what you pay for I suppose (I was getting very bored with Mr. Potter by that stage and couldn't be bothered to go to a proper shop...)

It was the kid's version and I was too embarassed to take it back :shock:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby pritcham » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:27 am

Hi all

Thanks for the welcome! Can't remember where I bought it from - in fact I think it may well have been a gift from last Christmas (not had chance to start reading it until lately) - more than likely from Amazon though.

Ah well - perhaps worth contacting the publisher for a replacement (Amazon won't do it after this long I would imagine!).

Still, despite the missing pages, enjoying the book a lot though (long time Pratchett reader so I kind of knew what to expect).

Cheers
Martin
pritcham

Postby Tiffany » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:15 pm

Hi Martin, welcome to the forum from me as well. My copy of Going Postal seems to be OK, I have the hard back version.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Time Slicer » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:42 pm

Hi,

I had this with one of the "science of" books, with the last quarter of the book being the same as the 3rd quarter. I was very confused when the text skipped back, especially as the subject i was reading was to do with time - the trousers of!!!
Time Slicer

Postby chris.ph » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:41 pm

welcome to the site timeslicer :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Vena Ravenhaired » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:45 am

I bought a book some time ago (can't remember what book, but not one of Terry's) which had a section from another book entirely plonked in the middle, with a corresponding slice missing.

I thought I was going daft(er) till I realised the numbering, typeface and the characters were totally foreign.

Took it back to change it and the other copy was the same! They re-ordered it for me.

Cheers, Vena
I wish I was a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum, How can you be unhappy when the sun shines out yer bum?
Vena Ravenhaired

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:16 am

That's what happened to me! I thought I was going insane. :lol:
Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, You don't NEED to follow ANYBODY! You've got to think for your selves! You're ALL individuals!
Yes! We're all individuals!
Tonyblack
Site Admin

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:19 pm

I had that problem with a Robert Rankin book but it was about about 30 pages missing, I thought that did not sound right, then I looked at the page numbers a big jump no wonder I could not tie in the story on the next page.
It was from the BCA BOOK CLUB, but they did replace it.
Who's Wee Dug

Return to Discworld novels