When will we get a proper Disc World movie?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Quark » Tue May 11, 2010 9:54 am

We-ell... I'll be learning Adobe Flash, soon, and Cheery is a very good comic artist, and I'm sure a lot of people here would be willing to put their hands up for it... :roll: We could get something going here. :)
Quark

Postby mystmoon » Tue May 11, 2010 9:58 am

As someone who is (hopefully) doing a BA in Animation next year, I am all for it!
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby Quark » Tue May 11, 2010 10:08 am

BA? I can barely move objects around the window at the moment, Myst. :oops: . You can take the animation position if you want :P
Quark

Postby Archbishop73 » Tue May 11, 2010 2:36 pm

I've just read throught the thread and had a shiver at the thought of McDonalds toys.

I know that the Clarecraft fiugres are rare and retired, but the are the only ones that are pure Discworld.

.... still collecting (and missing a lot)
-------------------------------------------------
Cardinal! Give the rack a turn!
Archbishop73

Postby Cheery » Tue May 11, 2010 4:33 pm

I've seen that advert thousands of times and I still think it's absulutely brilliant! She's also on deviantart and she's a wonderful person and a huge talent when it comes to drawing and animating. And she's influenced me too. Did you know that she did this after only a year of school? :shock: That's bloody brilliant, come to think of it.

I really want to learn how to animate and do it professionally. It would be pretty much my dream job. :lol:
Cheery

Postby Cheery » Tue May 11, 2010 4:41 pm

I think it was actually less than a year.
Cheery

Postby mystmoon » Tue May 11, 2010 6:05 pm

I hope I can do stuff that impressive after my course. I can do stop motion and a bit of 3D and thats it
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby Quark » Wed May 12, 2010 8:16 am

Oh yea, I used to do hundreds of stop-motion animations with my Lego and a webcam. They usually had six frames per second, minimal storyline, no voices, and a whole load of special effects :P
I also experiment with machinima, but making a DW movie with that would be even harder.
Quark

Postby kakaze » Sat May 15, 2010 1:43 am

Tonyblack wrote:Seriously - has there ever been a movie adaptation of a much loved book (or series of books) that the fans of the book have been 100% happy with? :?

I'd say:
Shogun
The Teahouse of the August Moon
The Far Pavilions
and, I guess, The Secret Garden (1949)

All of these films followed the book very closely. In Shogun, you can actually read the dialogue in the books as the characters are speaking.

I thought the first two Harry Potter movies were pretty close to the book as well (except for the silly flying car scene in #2).
kakaze

Postby Tonyblack » Sat May 15, 2010 2:45 am

kakaze wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:Seriously - has there ever been a movie adaptation of a much loved book (or series of books) that the fans of the book have been 100% happy with? :?

I'd say:
Shogun
The Teahouse of the August Moon
The Far Pavilions
and, I guess, The Secret Garden (1949)

All of these films followed the book very closely. In Shogun, you can actually read the dialogue in the books as the characters are speaking.

I thought the first two Harry Potter movies were pretty close to the book as well (except for the silly flying car scene in #2).

But Shogun wasn't a movie adaptation - it was a TV series over several weeks. That meant they had more time to do justice to the book. There was an attempt to make a movie of Tai Pan and it was awful. :?

If I was given the choice between reading Shogun or watching the TV series - I'd read the book. It's much better - even if the TV series is a good adaptation. :wink:

I can't speak for the others you mentioned because I haven't read the books or seen the adaptaions. But as to the Harry Potter movies - sure, they were pretty good adaptations, but were they as good as the books?
Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, You don't NEED to follow ANYBODY! You've got to think for your selves! You're ALL individuals!
Yes! We're all individuals!
Tonyblack
Site Admin

Postby poohcarrot » Sat May 15, 2010 7:47 am

Shogun is one of my fave books ever, but I didn't like the TV series. :P
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Sat May 15, 2010 5:49 pm

If you look at the opening shots of the Shogun TV series, of the sailing ship at sea, you can see the shadow of a helicopter. :lol:
Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, You don't NEED to follow ANYBODY! You've got to think for your selves! You're ALL individuals!
Yes! We're all individuals!
Tonyblack
Site Admin

Previous

Return to TV, film, theatre