Knighthood for Terry Pratchett

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Knighthood for Terry Pratchett

Postby Katariina » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:02 pm

If Pinocchio says "My nose will grow now", what happens?
Katariina

Postby Katariina » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:47 pm

Hmm, the link dosen't seem to work anymore. However, the article did say:
Fantasy author Terry Pratchett has carved out a career as a best-selling author with tales of wizards and sorcerers. Now he has been made a real-life knight, honored alongside Olympic athletes and rock singer Robert Plant in Queen Elizabeth II's New Year honors list.

The British writer, who is known for his "Discworld" series of novels and has sold more than 55 million books worldwide, given a knighthood Wednesday. Pratchett, who won a lesser honor in 1998, announced last year that he has early onset Alzheimer's, a rare form of the disease.

"There are times when phrases such as 'totally astonished' just don't do the job," said Pratchett, 60. "I am of course delighted and honored and — needless to say — flabbergasted."

(I still have the window open, even if the articles gone now)
If Pinocchio says "My nose will grow now", what happens?
Katariina

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:43 pm

It's not 100% certain yet I'm afraid Katarina - have to wait until Jan 1st for the official confirmations. There've been other 'leaks' about other people getting knighthoods and other honours as well - often these are denied by the issuing office. Sometimes in the past (so its said) people have actually been taken off the list because it's supposed to be a complete secret beforehand and though people are notified that they're getting an OBE or whatever they're supposed to keep it dead secret until the announcements are made officially.

This is the official website for the awards (and they go up to the Birthday Honours 2008 as the latest on the list - so the 2009 Honours definitely aren't up yet)

The New Year's Honours are the Prime Minister's nominations (well his office anyway as they sift the nominations for him) - the Queen does the Birthday Honours in the summer (as its her birthday - or is it just her official birthday? Ah nuts!

My guess is that Terry will certainly get some recognition (and hopefully it will be a Sir Terryship) as he's met with Prime Minister very recently for his Alzheimers awareness-raising :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jason » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:26 pm

It has been confirmed by Colin Smythe Terry's publisher. Terry will become a Knight Bachelor.

So, congratulations to Sir Terry Pratchett and his ever faithful squire Rob Wilkins.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby The_Discworldaholic » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:07 am

Well done Sir Terry, its been a very long time comming and most deserved. http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 18243.html

Mind you im not sure what they mean about the horror bit :?

Found these as well.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7804693.stm
http://www.thebookseller.com/news/73712 ... ghted.html
http://www.reuters.com/article/entertai ... 0220081231
The_Discworldaholic

Postby swreader » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:31 am

The Two Highlight of 2008 for my money!!!
Barack Obama wins US Presidential Election

Terry Pratchett [finally--what took so long???] recognized with Knighthood.

FERVENT CONGRATULATIONS SIR TERRY!!! :D
swreader

Postby Swiftlady » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:26 am

Hmm mixed feelings.

As a Brit I detest the system of honours that treats the high and mighty as if they are special. If you don't live here or if you live here as a foreigner then you can't know the utterly awful depths of snobbery Brit society is.

I have people in my family who have had the MBE or OBE so I don't have chip on shoulder problems. I just think that you have to respect those who GIVE the honours, and I do not.

However although I don't like the system I think I can trust TP to treat this as a nice bit of fun and not be taken in by it. If it cheers him up at the moment then it's a Good Thing.
Swiftlady

Postby jamescad » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:10 am

Congratulations to Sir Terry Pratchett! Massively deserved! Well Done!
James Cawallader
jamescad

Postby chris.ph » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:05 am

welcome to the site jamescad :lol:
and congratulations to the soon tobe beknighted sir terry :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby dakid » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:15 am

This news is so great I've been prompted to register on the forum just to say congratulations! Superb news and very well deserved ... well done, Sir Terry! :)
dakid

Postby ColinEdwards » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:01 am

Congratulations Sir Terry!

Long overdue.

:D
When much is taken, something is returned.
ColinEdwards

Postby cols » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:55 am

!Congratulations Terry! What a super way to start off the new year. And it's long overdue.
cols

Knighthood

Postby Judet » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:56 am

Fabulous, Sir Terry! Ecstatic congratulations. My whole family ADORE your books and we are all so pleased that (at last) some honour is being given where it is so richly deserved.
Judet

Postby The_Discworldaholic » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:07 am

A question arrises now, instead of Terry pratchett on the front of his books, will it now have Sir Terry Pratchett? :)
The_Discworldaholic

Postby Barndoor » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:54 am

Hello, newby here.

Just wanted to say after so many dubious 'party donation' awards over the years a knighthood for Terry is one that is truly deserved. Wondered for some time why he was only in posession of a pifling little OBE.

Here's hoping that his magick is equal to the 'Z' thing and he has many more years of success
Barndoor

Next

Return to Terry Pratchett