When will we get a proper Disc World movie?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

When will we get a proper Disc World movie?

Postby N1v3n » Sun May 09, 2010 11:39 am

Enough of the TV shows (where characters age, size, hair colour etc, do not seem to matter in the adaptation) when will we get a proper big budget Hollywood movie?

IMO Terry Gilliam would be ideal to direct.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
N1v3n

Postby Jason » Sun May 09, 2010 4:14 pm

Give the new Going Postal a try. I really enjoyed it - a lot more than either Hogfather or The Colour of Magic (and I was in TCOM)...
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Tonyblack » Sun May 09, 2010 6:21 pm

I'm not sure I want a big budget Hollywood Discworld movie. :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Cheery » Sun May 09, 2010 6:55 pm

The thing about big-budget Hollywood movies is that they usually spend all the money for special effects and expensive actors and not very much of it for the story. :? For a book adaptation I think a TV two-parter is a lot better. And they've done a brilliant job so far, I think.
Cheery

Postby Tonyblack » Sun May 09, 2010 7:42 pm

A six-part TV adaptation would be even better. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby theoldlibrarian » Sun May 09, 2010 7:57 pm

I like the non-Hollywood movement, hopefully HW won't get their hands on Pratchett but I agree it would be nice to have a film that went to the cinemas.
It is not enough to succeed, others must fail
-Gore Vidal
theoldlibrarian

Postby Penfold » Mon May 10, 2010 2:11 pm

Unfortunately if a big Hollywood (or other) producer got hold of the rights, I'm afraid the film would go the same way as the intended and non-existant films of Dr. Who, Red Dwarf, etc. In other words, lots of speculation, rumour, misinformation, good intentions, lack of decent funding etc. all of which resulting in no progress and a lot of frustration for the fans. :(

(Unless Tim Burton was to direct Night Watch with Johnny Depp in the role of Carcer, of course. :wink:)
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon May 10, 2010 2:24 pm

Wasn't it Hollywood who got the rights to Mort, then decreed that all references to Death be removed?

Short movie! :D :D
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby bikkit » Mon May 10, 2010 4:23 pm

O hai! I'm mort.

THE END

I'm going to need a swat team, ready to mobilize, street maps covering the whole of florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and A FEZ.
bikkit

Postby theoldlibrarian » Mon May 10, 2010 5:29 pm

Penfold wrote:Unfortunately if a big Hollywood (or other) producer got hold of the rights, I'm afraid the film would go the same way as the intended and non-existant films of Dr. Who, Red Dwarf, etc. In other words, lots of speculation, rumour, misinformation, good intentions, lack of decent funding etc. all of which resulting in no progress and a lot of frustration for the fans. :(

(Unless Tim Burton was to direct Night Watch with Johnny Depp in the role of Carcer, of course. :wink:)

If Burton gets Pratchett I wil declare all out war :x
It is not enough to succeed, others must fail
-Gore Vidal
theoldlibrarian

Postby Tonyblack » Mon May 10, 2010 7:54 pm

Seriously - has there ever been a movie adaptation of a much loved book (or series of books) that the fans of the book have been 100% happy with? :?

Why do we 'need' a movie of Discworld?
Tonyblack

Postby Quark » Tue May 11, 2010 8:21 am

Nope. Never. We don't need a big Hollywood movie, with the accompanying legal rubbish on avoiding Death references, the plastic McDonalds toys, the online slash fiction (oo-er), and so on. To be honest, not only would I rather a low-budget, two-part movie screened on television (thus avoiding the massive overpublicity and, on the part of people who hear I'm obsessed with it, branding me as jumping on the fanboy bandwagon) I would rather a six-part movie that didn't miss a single second of the book! :lol:

This is one of the reasons I pray machinima never makes it to the movies. Television, yes. Probably.
Quark

Postby mspanners » Tue May 11, 2010 8:47 am

Don't think global interest in the Discworld is enough for a full on Films like Lord of The Rings series of Films.

Terry's books are a niche interest, you need to understand the layout of the Disc in all its Political and Geographical ideas and so on to get the most out of them........my Son and Wife have both seen the TV shows and don't get some of the ideas behind things that happened in them and it is a pain to have to explain the ideas to them to make sense.

Indeed Terry has a lot of notes scattered around in His books that are there for the reader who may have picked up a Book out of sequence or to clear up any miss-understanding for the uninitiated. Hence the the descriptive voice-overs in the TV shows.... not sure if that would work in a full on Movie.

BUT I think another look at an animated series of shows based on the books would work, especially with today's technology.... look at Shrek! Get that team together and do the Books and it would work I think. :D
mspanners

Postby Quark » Tue May 11, 2010 9:25 am

It's been (fractionally) done before :) Some guy made an amateur Guards! Guards! fake advertisement, and to be honest I really wish he'd made the movie as well, even if the voices are a bit off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKJz7Tm5_rU
Quark

Postby mspanners » Tue May 11, 2010 9:33 am

:lol: Thanks for the link.....VERY good..... and I rest my case.... give the books to someone who can capture the fun in them and even if it is primitively done it could be fun..... thanks!
mspanners

Next

Return to TV, film, theatre