Nation Paperback

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu May 06, 2010 10:48 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I like it! :D

Although I'm not sure about Mau wearing a grass skirt.

You never said you didn't like it at all - just nit picked on the details which isn't the same :wink:

I haven't read the book yet (still! :oops: ) but I did listen to the recent radio version. Visually the original blue(ish)/silhouette cover is simple and impactful, but this one's much more illustrative and traditional of course, which suits the archaic placement of the storyline - and it's very well drawn too.

I think I prefer the original for its simplicity and for not being conformist - which is in total harmony with the theme of not accepting that 'it's always been that way' and challenging what you've been told to accept. However, I do like the depiction of Daphne on this cover very much as she really does look like a ghost girl in that shaft of sunlight :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby BaronBreton » Thu May 06, 2010 11:04 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:However, I do like the depiction of Daphne on this cover very much as she really does look like a ghost girl in that shaft of sunlight :D

i don't know the englis's version but the white of Daphe really "jump at our eyes". We see it very well. And she's really as a ghost

the the originaly cover, with his simplicity is pure, and the dolphin is so important too !!!
« L'imaginaire n’est qu'une autre façon de voir la réalité. »

Le Vade-mecum, french website on The Discworld
BaronBreton

Postby BaronBreton » Mon May 10, 2010 7:38 pm

I ask for Amandine Labarre :

It's some shadows on the back of Mau. It's for create a link with this caracters on the first "floor" of the picture and the nature. And for his skin is not nude, becauce the nature is verry present on the picture
« L'imaginaire n’est qu'une autre façon de voir la réalité. »

Le Vade-mecum, french website on The Discworld
BaronBreton

Postby Tonyblack » Mon May 10, 2010 7:56 pm

BaronBreton wrote:I ask for Amandine Labarre :

It's some shadows on the back of Mau. It's for create a link with this caracters on the first "floor" of the picture and the nature. And for his skin is not nude, becauce the nature is verry present on the picture
Thanks BB! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby freddy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:41 pm

I loved this book and I loved the play I went to see at Broad way, the one that was beemed live from the national theater. I found the book very moving emotional and makes you think about what has happen to other people around theworld who have to deal with sunamies (big waves). I wont say much more incase theres people rading this who have not read the book. :lol: its defantly worth a re read
freddy

Postby mystmoon » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:13 pm

I saw Nation at the cinema, taking a friend who had never read Pratchett with me. She was somewhat put off by the fact that I cried at the end tho
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Previous

Return to Latest books