Wintersmith Discussion *Spoilers*

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Wintersmith Discussion *Spoilers*

Postby Tonyblack » Mon May 03, 2010 2:45 am

**Warning**

This thread is for discussing Wintersmith in some depth. If you haven’t read the book then read on at your own risk – or, better still, go and read the book and join in the fun.

For those of us that are going to join in the discussion, here are a few guidelines:

Please feel free to make comparisons to other Discworld books, making sure you identify the book and the passage you are referring to. Others may not be as familiar with the book you are referencing, so think before you post.

Sometimes we’ll need to agree to disagree – only Terry knows for sure what he was thinking when he wrote the books and individuals members may have widely different interpretations – so try to keep the discussion friendly.

We may be discussing a book that you don’t much care for – don’t be put off joining in the discussion. If you didn’t care for the book, then that in itself is a good topic for discussion.

Please note: there is no time limit to this discussion. Please feel free to add to it at any time - especially if you've just read the book.

And finally:

Please endeavour to keep the discussion on topic. If necessary I will step in and steer it back to the original topic – so no digressions please!

Wintersmith by Terry Pratchett
Originally published 2006

When Tiffany Aching can’t keep her feet still, she joins in the Winter Dance and comes to the attention of the Wintersmith. He’s determined to make her his queen and bring about a never-ending Winter.

When I first read this book, I thought that Terry had lost the track of the Tiffany books. It was by far my least favourite of the series. But the more I’ve read it, the more I’ve come to like it. I still wouldn’t say it was my favourite in the series, but I like it a lot more than I did.

This one is about taking responsibility for your actions – if you make a mess then saying ‘sorry’ is not going to solve the problem. Tiffany has to deal with the mess that she made and put everything right again. She’s really growing up in this book. :)

Want to write the introduction for the next discussion (The Fifth Elephant)? PM me and let me know if you’d like to – first come first served. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby poohcarrot » Mon May 03, 2010 3:30 am

I think this book is a classic example of "Carrot Syndrome". Once a character reaches perfection then the only way for that character to go is downhill.

In the first two Tiffany books, Tiffany could do no wrong. It was like she almost had super powers. Yet in this book she suddenly becomes stupid. Not only does she stupidly dance in the first place, but also for a lot of the book she acts like a big "girlie".

Tony wrote:When I first read this book, I thought that Terry had lost the track of the Tiffany books. It was by far my least favourite of the series. But the more I’ve read it, the more I’ve come to like it. I still wouldn’t say it was my favourite in the series, but I like it a lot more than I did.

Couldn't agree with you more Tony! :P

And I'm sorry to say that Horace the cheese is totally unnecessary and simply not funny!
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby mystmoon » Mon May 03, 2010 9:20 am

Although, to be fair Tiffany is at that age where you find yourself doing stuff without meaning to, although I do agree that it seems a strange lapse in character for her.

And how is Horace not funny? I loved his bits (although that may have been Daft Wullie as he always makes me laugh)
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby poohcarrot » Mon May 03, 2010 9:49 am

Tiffany created Horace - a sentinent living thing. Apart from Igor, who else has created life in Discworld? (and I don't mean in the usual way :D )
poohcarrot

Postby mystmoon » Mon May 03, 2010 10:16 am

UU rubbish dump probably could
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby poohcarrot » Mon May 03, 2010 10:36 am

The UU dump didn't create life, only altered existing life. Plus it ain't a character. :D
poohcarrot

Postby mystmoon » Mon May 03, 2010 10:45 am

Cheese has bacteria in which are alive. They could have been altered to give the illusion of a sentient cheese
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Postby poohcarrot » Mon May 03, 2010 10:50 am

:lol: Who altered them?
poohcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon May 03, 2010 12:24 pm

My money's on Boffo! :lol: Could have been something to do with Miss Treason maybe?
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby poohcarrot » Mon May 03, 2010 12:33 pm

Of course! Miss Treason was using the cheese to see with, even after she was dead. How obvious! :lol:
poohcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon May 03, 2010 12:40 pm

Oi - you can leave off with the agreeing now thanks! :roll: :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby poohcarrot » Mon May 03, 2010 12:43 pm

I wasn't agreeing. It was sarcasm. :roll:

I should just have wrote, "Utter gibberish!" :lol:
poohcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon May 03, 2010 4:41 pm

:P

But I do agree that Horace is a total waste of space - You is much better and she's got Greebo on the run too :lol:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby poohcarrot » Mon May 03, 2010 11:17 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Oi - you can leave off with the agreeing now thanks! :roll: :wink:
poohcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Tue May 04, 2010 12:59 am

I think that Horace was included just for the one joke about cheese "humming". And that word doesn't even translate into American English as I had to explain it to Sharlene. I wonder if he'll be in the next book. :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Next

Return to Discworld novels