How Terry has changed my life

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:32 pm

Jinx wrote:Hey sneaky post editor. =P

LOL :lol:

No, it was a case of me posting and then going to check my facts and you posting in the meantime.

Apparently 'Sto Lat' is a song sung in Poland on birthdays and it means something like - 'may you live for a 100 years'.

I have no idea about Sto Helit, but I've often thought that 'Sto Plains' might mean 'Stop Lanes' as in those escape lanes you sometimes get on very steep hills. The Sto Plains are at the bottom of the Ramtops after all. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby mspanners » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:31 pm

Well I can't say Terry Pratchett has changed my Life, but He has made it more enjoyable.........if you ever read these pages I for one would like to say thank you Mr Pratchett! 8)
mspanners

Postby saphyress » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:25 am

Great stories, all!

He has enlivened my life, I love books that catch me by surprise and give me the giggles as something strikes my very odd sense of humor!

I love that I can read them over and over and they never get old!
saphyress

Postby Catch-up » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:26 am

I have to admit that it has changed my life. In pursuit of the stamps I have ended up with what feels like an entire extended family on that forum. I never knew how lucky I could feel having someone in my life (let alone many people) that I haven't even met in person (except for a couple). Of course, I regularly threaten to visit, but the lottery just doesn't seem to be cooperating. :wink:
Catch-up

Well... its starting to be a theme

Postby aichtay » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:22 pm

Hey everyone, This is my first post so please be nice :P I started reading Pratchett when I was a kid having secretly stolen my brother copy of Truckers and hidden it under my pillow, since then I've been hooked, I recently found my old school reading diary whilst moving house (a good 10 years old) with multiple comments by my teacher suggesting I read something...anything...please other than Pratchett - well she lost the war! I'm now attempting to complete my hardback collection (only 5 to go) and my audiobook collection (only 3 to go), including several signed copies, a couple of special editions, one stephen briggs play adaptation and several Paul Kidby jigsaws.

Terry really has changed my life, the last 5 years I've been suffering severely from depression **awww** I hear you all say. And on days where I feel like hiding under the duvet I crack open the spine on a well thumbed discworld and I'm whisked away to the chaotic world of the disc. I also suffer from Migraine attacks which leave me incapacitated in bed for days at a time, the most devistating thing about these is that I am completely unable to read Pratchett (now thats an unpleasant experience) so I was so pleased to find them on audio book - suddenly life is great again!
Aichtay the Wizzard
aichtay

Postby Tiffany » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:55 pm

mspanners wrote:Well I can't say Terry Pratchett has changed my Life, but He has made it more enjoyable.........if you ever read these pages I for one would like to say thank you Mr Pratchett! 8)

I'm in complete agreement with you on this. Mspanners :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tiffany » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:59 pm

Hi Aichtay. Glad to hear TP's books have & are helping you with your health problems. You do have a super collection there.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Re: Well... its starting to be a theme

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:51 am

aichtay wrote:
Terry really has changed my life, the last 5 years I've been suffering severely from depression **awww** I hear you all say. And on days where I feel like hiding under the duvet I crack open the spine on a well thumbed discworld and I'm whisked away to the chaotic world of the disc. I also suffer from Migraine attacks which leave me incapacitated in bed for days at a time, the most devistating thing about these is that I am completely unable to read Pratchett (now thats an unpleasant experience) so I was so pleased to find them on audio book - suddenly life is great again!
I can certainly identify with that aichtay! Welcome to the site. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Catch-up » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:26 pm

Welcome Aichtay! :D
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby chris.ph » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:06 pm

welcome aichtay have fun on the site :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby silverstreak » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:55 pm

I don't know about life changing,but Pterry's certainly enriched my life and I think that I've turned on at least another two to the Discworld.
When you're summonsed to jury service they ask you to bring a newspaper or a book for the waiting around times.Of course I took a Discworld book,Guards!Guards! to be precise.There were comments made about the chuckling sound coming from my corner of the table,so I enlightened them about Pterry's books.Only one of the seventeen knew anything about the Discworld and she had not read any books only watched Hogfather and TCOM on t.v.
The next day she came in with her first copy of the Discworld purchased from Waterstones opposite the courthouse.Another juror also promised herself to get a Discworld book.Little do they know that they are starting on a long and eventful career of Discworld watching.
Dark in here isn't it.
silverstreak

Postby Quilpusha » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:57 am

. . . although few who know me will agree, I can differentiate between fantasy and reality. So, Pratchett hasn't actually changed my life. But my bank account - now that is another story. :wink:
"If a little knowledge is dangerous, where is the man who has so much as to be out of danger?"
(T.H.Huxley - 1877)
Quilpusha

Postby silverstreak » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:01 pm

Quilpusha wrote:. . . although few who know me will agree, I can differentiate between fantasy and reality. So, Pratchett hasn't actually changed my life. But my bank account - now that is another story. :wink:

How true.

But still never mind eh.
Dark in here isn't it.
silverstreak

Bank accounts

Postby aichtay » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:25 pm

Well I think TP has affected lots of people's bank accounts, mine for a HUGE start, my parents for every birthday and xmas and my mates whenever they come over feeling the need to apologise or cheer me up:D

I'm indoctrinating as many of the children I teach at work as I can
Aichtay the Wizzard
aichtay

Postby freddy » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:07 pm

:lol: Hi all i would have to say that TP has changed my live, discworld and non discworld book have inspied me to take up reading; which can be challanging for me as im dyslexic. It used to take me months to read books like Truckers and it now takes me a few weeks. I also love reading TP book as they help me to ecape in to another world and this helps me with my condition called fibromyalga; wont bore with too much detil about it, it corses inflamation of the fibrose tissues surounding the joins of the body, therefore im in in pain, so by reading TP books it helps me to foget about the pain for a while.

I love comming on to this forum as i fine this too very uplifting; Hi to all those who are new members. You have got to wadfet to find out more about this go to www.wadfest.co.uk.

DONOT FORGET TERRY PRATCHETT ON BBCRADIO 4 CHRISTMAS DAY (DEC 25) 10AM im really looking forward to it, ive put a note on my radio to remind me as both Dyslxia and Fibomyalga affect short tem memory hee hee now that make reading books fun :D, qite offen fine myself reading the same bit twice :lol: LOL Happy Christmas to you all :D
freddy

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum