HELP PLEASE

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

HELP PLEASE

Postby Megs » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:10 am

Hi can anyone help- am in a heated debate
What book contained a line that had something to do with being a tassle or a thread on the tapestry of time (or something to that effect) ad what was the actual line. I realize that isn't much to go on, but any suggestons?
Megs

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:34 pm

Gawd what are you asking woman?!!!! :lol:

I'd hazard a guess at any book that Lu Tze is in but really a rather banal expression like thread in the tapestry of time could be in any of the DW books... if you'd asked for something more specifically Pratchett-like such as someone 'falling down the wrong trouser leg of time' then we'd have more to go on & then I could point in the direction Sam Vimes and the book where Sybil gives him the horrid little demon-run 'disorganiser' - was is Men at Arms or the next one? Jingo perhaps? Someone else will get that no doubt.

Lu Tze being a History Monk is a fairly safe bet and Thief of Time perhaps the most likely for the tapestry thingie reference - haved looked a bit on Wikipedia - some interesting articles on there but nothing too helpful for this. Maybe we need an Encyclopedia of the Discworld.... :shock:
Last edited by Jan Van Quirm on Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby chris.ph » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:33 pm

welcome to the site megs :lol: sorry i dont know the answer :oops:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Catch-up » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:10 pm

Welcome Megs! :D I don't know the answer either, but I would bet Jan is right. It sounds like something Lu Tze would say.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Jason » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:15 pm

Welcome - Tapestry isn't a work that pops up that often in the Discworld series. I'm afraid I can't find your quote - sorry.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:01 am

Anyone know which Watch book 'the wrong trouser-leg of time' concept came from then? I'm almost certain it was in the book that we first saw the demonic 'disorganiser'? All I remember is that Sybil gave it to Vimes and it was before the clacks appeared - so not the Fifth Elephant and it certainly wasn't in Guards! Guards! so it must be in the one of the intervening books where Vimes was either married or about to be...

If I'm mistaken then it might be in Lords & Ladies as a long shot as there was the parallel universe thing going on in there with Mustrum pining for his youth and the pursuit of the nubile young Granny - and in another universe they did actually fall in love and marry... :roll:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby chuckie » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:32 am

As far as i can remember the wrong trouser leg of time concept came from Jingo.
chuckie

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:05 am

The Trousers of Time have (I think) appeared in a few of the books - but certainly the memorable scene of the Disorganiser announcing the 'death roll' from the wrong leg is particularly relevant... and CHILLING! :shock:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby swreader » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:45 am

Welcome you puzzle fiend! You should fit right in in this mad group. I've also checked Nightwatch, and find nothing about a tapestry (or tassel) of time. In fact, I don't think that Pratchett uses that image in connection with Time.

Is it possible that the line you're thing of comes from the Piers Anthony Book 4 of the Incarnations called With a Tangled Skein in which the fates weave the tapestry of man's fate which of course involves time?

BTW, If you haven't read the incarnations series (especially the first 3), you might enjoy them.
swreader

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:08 pm

Megs - :) Chuckie and Tony are right I think - it's in Jingo and it's around about the section where Vimes gets hot on the scent of who he thinks tried to murder the 'wrong' (but morally rightful and peaceful) heir to the throne of Klatch (or wherever it was contesting the sovreignity of the mysterious new island territory) and decides to join Carrot in seeking out the dog-napped Angua despite being expressly ordered not to by Vetinari - who of course means Vimes to do exactly the opposite...

Something like that anyway! :lol:
The disorganiser I think comes up with this death prediction that Tony has said about, just before (or likely too late & after) Vimes makes the decision to follow the gung ho hereditary lords of Ankh - who have gone off to invade Klatch - to stop them making right prats of themselves :twisted:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jinx » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:37 pm

Actually, that sounds very familiar to me too. Maybe I just got deja vu when I read the post, but maybe I've read the same line.

If it's a Pratchett book The Night Watch seems a good starting point. Maybe one of Vimes' conversations with Lu Tze?

I'm thinking that in the book the running reference goes onto the thread being pulled on and history coming undone or losing the thread and struggling to find it again... :?
Jinx

Postby Dotsie » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:47 pm

I seem to remember something about history being like an old jumper that unravels, gets reknitted by various rulers, but always springs back into shape eventually. Or there's a bit somewhere about how wizards would think nothing about tugging on the loose thread of the fabric of the universe.

But I can't remember where either of these are from! :oops:

Thing about Terry is, these ideas tend to run through the books. If you can't remember where you read it first, you've got 30+ books to look through.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby chris.ph » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:37 pm

just do what i do dotsie and admit that i have no idea :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tiffany » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:05 pm

Hi Megs, welcome to the forum. I can never remember what quote comes from which book. My brain doesn't retain things like that :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Trouser of Time

Postby aichtay » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:37 pm

Trousers of time also appear in Johnny and the Bomb, the chauffeur says something along the lines of, you just tell me which leg to drive down
Aichtay the Wizzard
aichtay

Return to The Broken Drum