Anyone watch "The Tudors"?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Anyone watch "The Tudors"?

Postby raisindot » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:33 pm

I must admit, as a big fan of Allison Weir's Tudor biographies, I've watched this series since the beginning, in spite of its many historical inaccuracies.

But I thought last night's season 4 opener was just orful. Just want to kill the little strumpet who plays Katherine Howard. And how come Henry, who must have been, what, in this 50s by this time and would have weighed 300 pounds, doesn't gain a single pound of weight here? I know, I know, sex appeal. Still, when you heard him complaining about old, it's hard to take seriously.

Hope the remaining episodes get better. Hope they off little Kate's head quickly.

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby Fizz » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:25 pm

I think it's fair to say that historical accuracy is not what this show is about. This show is about eye candy, sex, and violence. It's just a soap opera version of what happened.

As if people looked that good and were that clean back in that time.

Cheers.
"We are the people our parents warned us about." - Jimmy Buffet -

www.whitesnails.com
Fizz

Postby raisindot » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:48 pm

Fizz wrote:I think it's fair to say that historical accuracy is not what this show is about. This show is about eye candy, sex, and violence. It's just a soap opera version of what happened.

As if people looked that good and were that clean back in that time.

Cheers.

True, True. One of the great missed opportunities of comedy is that Monty Python never ended up doing a send-up of that era. Can you imagine how good it could have been? Michael Palin as Ann Boleyn, John Cleese as Katherine of Aragon, Eric Idle as Jane Seymour, Terry Gilliam as Ann of Cleeves, Eric again at Katherine Howard, Terry Jones as the last one, and Graham Chapman playing Henry?

Rowan Atkinson's Blackadder shows were a pale shadow of what the Pythonites might have done with it.

:lol:

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:03 am

Watched a few episodes but it's too much like a soap opera so don't like it that much
On lofty Beysitoun the lingering sun looks down on ceaseless labors, long begun.
Sjoerd3000

Postby raisindot » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:30 am

Yeah, it is pretty bad.

There's probably more appeal for it on this side of the Pond because most of us don't grow up learning anything about this period in history. Hell, we barely learn anything about our OWN history.

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby Catch-up » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:47 pm

I tried a few episodes and thought it was terrible. Henry was just annoying.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Return to TV, film, theatre