So, you've discovered Discworld...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tiffany » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:58 pm

1. How did you come to read your first Discworld book?
I saw those little versions of the first Discworld books in a charity shop & bought them.

2. What was your first Discworld book?
The first one I read was Equal Rites.

3. Will you read more?
I now have all, plus a few audio books & I have read all, some more than once.

4. Which one do you intend to read next?
I am going to wait for the next TP book.

5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary?
As I had that one with the others in the little book collection, I realised that was the first, so read that next & so on. I then went & bought the big copies.
I think Equal Rites can stand alone, but it was good to read the first & subsequent books after.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Fizz » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:59 pm

Children's Fantasy Literature course for University.

The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents

3. Will you read more?
Of course.

Colour of Magic

5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary?
Fortunately I knew of the essential ideas surrounding this world (turtle, elephants, craziness, puns, absurdism, wit, etc.).

Cheers.
"We are the people our parents warned us about." - Jimmy Buffet -

www.whitesnails.com
Fizz

Postby Marco » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:44 pm

School library, saw a tattered old book with an awesome cover. Picked it up and cherished it, took it out for the first time in 10 years.
Colour of Magic, took me a while to figure out whether there was some order.
3. Will you read more?
Nah (jokes)
I'm trying to read them in publishing order, Guards! Guards! next.
-
[Insert witty signature here]
Marco

Postby Ziggy » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:45 pm

1. In fact I didn't read it, I listened to it on cassette tape which was lent to me by my cousin, who has a whole box full. Read by Nigel Planer, who is bloody awesome, Neil from the Young Ones.

2. The Colour of Magic.

3. Definitely.

4. I am now listening to the Light Fantastic, I've also bought another Pratchett book 'Good Omens', so I might finish that first, don't know if it's Discworld though.

5. Well I started with the Colour of Magic, it's definitely not what I expected though. I was expecting something aimed at young kids, like Deltora quest or something so it took me a few minutes to understand what the heck was going on.
Ziggy

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:52 pm

Welcome to the site Ziggy :D
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby chuckie » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:05 pm

Welcome to the forum Ziggy. :)
Terry wrote Good Omens with Neil Gaiman.
It's not part of the Discworld but still well worth reading.
the next Discworld book is Equal Rites. Hope you enjoy it as much as the first two.
Susan did an unusual thing and listened. that's not an easy task for a teacher.
chuckie

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:46 pm

Welcome from me too, Ziggy! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Fizz » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:58 pm

Tony, you should know I created a similar thread like this over at TBF and it's getting some interesting answers. I just replaced TP with TB, haha. Cheers.
"We are the people our parents warned us about." - Jimmy Buffet -

www.whitesnails.com
Fizz

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:01 pm

Fizz wrote:Tony, you should know I created a similar thread like this over at TBF and it's getting some interesting answers. I just replaced TP with TB, haha. Cheers.
:lol: Glad it's going well!
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Re: So, you've discovered Discworld...

Postby turtle » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:24 pm

turtle wrote:
Well, I just went into a bookstore and I was interested in something different, something unreal or something new. I was bored of the typical literature and I was very amused by the appraisals alternatively critics of a german newspaper so I just tried one and I reallyenjoied it, because I felt I was in another world.
the colour of magic, but I would say that this is probably not the best terry novel to begin with... I know its his first with some explanations, but I think people also can get into the scene if they start with another one.
3. Will you read more?
for sure!!!!
I intend to read Eric next, because I liked the cover and I love the books with Rincewind(soooo gooood)
Well, I cannot answer this question, because I read Colour of Magic at first! :wink:
turtle

Postby joemcf » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:52 pm

Hey, i'm very new here and just wanted to have a shout out since everyone else gets one. I think i am still fairly new To Terry P. even though i have a fair amount of his books. I have every watch book (except Jingo), UA, Wintersmith, GP & MM and Hogafather. Still loads to go though.

My parents bought me Thud! when it came out a few years ago, although i didn't read it until last year, and i'm very glad i did.
:D

Thud!

3. Will you read more?
Definetely, as i've already read a fair few, and wasted a good number of pounds.

I'd like to read a witch one (other than Tiffany Aching) and see what they are like. Are they any good?

I started with Thud! as i've said, so i went back to Guards! Guards! to get the start of their story arc. Guards Guards i think gets you into Discworld quite easily and well, showing you its fantasy and letting you know long term characters i.e. Librarian, CMOT Dibber.
joemcf

Postby chuckie » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:58 pm

Welcome to the site Joemcf :)
The first book of the witches thread is Wyrd Sisters, although Granny Weatherwax first appears in Equal Rites. Either book is a good introduction to the witches.
Susan did an unusual thing and listened. that's not an easy task for a teacher.
chuckie

Postby joemcf » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:07 pm

Thanks for the shout out. Fpr some reason it took ages for my computer to get your reply. I've put off getting a witch book for a while, simply because they are shorter than most Pratchett's. I like to take a while with them and savour the jokes, and i keep thinking that i won't get to do that with them as they are not very long...:oops:

Are they any good?
joemcf

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:33 pm

joemcf wrote: wasted a good number of pounds.

Welcome joemcf :D Just to tell you it's not a waste
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby joemcf » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:39 pm

I really didn't mean waste. Actually, i don't regret a penny that i have spent. Pratchett's writing is both hilarious and thought provoking. I love the serious undertones as much as the hilariousness of the characters and their situations. Also, i'm thinking about starting at the Start of the Death story arc, or reading the standalones the Truth or Small Gods. So what should i read next: Equal Rites, The Truth, Wyrd Sisters, Small Gods or Mort?
joemcf

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels