Where do you buy your DW books and at what price?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Marco » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:49 pm

Could you drop me a link for that pricing of the book, I may have overlooked it.

The buyers guide I am making contains most of the DW books under £5, new and includes P&P. Sounds like a deal you have there and would like to add it :)
[Insert witty signature here]
Marco

Postby Marco » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:50 pm

ShadowNinjaCat wrote:
Marco wrote:I'll be making a thread with the cheapest prices possible for paperbacks if you are interested :)

Thats nice Marco but I don't know if it would be cheaper for me 'cause It would have to be sent all the way to SA first.

I believe certain online retailers offer free global shipping.
Marco

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:11 pm

Marco wrote:
ShadowNinjaCat wrote:
Marco wrote:I'll be making a thread with the cheapest prices possible for paperbacks if you are interested :)

Thats nice Marco but I don't know if it would be cheaper for me 'cause It would have to be sent all the way to SA first.

I believe certain online retailers offer free global shipping.

Then it's 8) for me(do you know of any of these certain online retailers)
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby Marco » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:27 pm

I believe BookDepository.co.uk offers free international shipping and has very good prices indeed.
Marco

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:39 pm

Marco wrote:I believe BookDepository.co.uk offers free international shipping and has very good prices indeed.

Thanks Marco.I'll check it out
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:03 pm

I buy mine from the local bookshop because I love browsing in bookshops and the only way to keep them going is to buy from them

I also order them from the library when I'm broke
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:14 pm

Doughnut Jimmy wrote:I buy mine from the local bookshop because I love browsing in bookshops and the only way to keep them going is to buy from them

I like bookstores 'cause when you use the Internet there is always the chance if it not being exactly what you wanted,that and the fact I know how to 'use' the bookstore(amazon and the rest confuse me :( and they want a credit card).Now I must just find a bookstore that doesn't overcharge me(but that means I must leave my room,otherwise known as my deep dark cave of hiding :shock: errr....maybe later :wink: )
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:34 pm

ShadowNinjaCat wrote:
Doughnut Jimmy wrote:I buy mine from the local bookshop because I love browsing in bookshops and the only way to keep them going is to buy from them

I like bookstores 'cause when you use the Internet there is always the chance if it not being exactly what you wanted,that and the fact I know how to 'use' the bookstore(amazon and the rest confuse me :( and they want a credit card).Now I must just find a bookstore that doesn't overcharge me(but that means I must leave my room,otherwise known as my deep dark cave of hiding :shock: errr....maybe later :wink: )

But define "overcharge" you'll rarely find them as cheap as Amazon because they don't have the same buying power and overheads are higher per book, but the way I see it you're paying for the pleasure of wandering round and seeing the books before you buy :)

The outside world isn't as scary as you think, really :wink:
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:44 pm

The only problem of the
Code: Select all
pleasure of wandering round and seeing the books before you buy
is that I see them and I want to buy them and then I get sad :(

And as for the outside world :shock: are you aware there are...*gulp* other people there SHOCK AND HORRER! and they don't go away if you close the book 'CAUSE IT'S NO BOOK! ahhhhhhhhhhh THEY ALL WANT MY SOUL*clears throat*sorry lost it a there a bit :wink:
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby Fizz » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:51 pm

For special editions, anthologies, hardcover books or books that are priced high: I use amazon.ca.

But for everything else I will venture into the local used bookstore. I'm on a first name basis with all of the ones around me and I love that used-book damp/moldy smell. Something about the dust and the way that the shelves crowd down upon you and crawling in between tight stacks. It's a pleasant feel.

Cheers.
"We are the people our parents warned us about." - Jimmy Buffet -

www.whitesnails.com
Fizz

Postby Jane » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:15 am

Random bookshops. Since no one shop has all the series, I have to visit and pick.

Discount prices are $14.95, and RRP is $21.99
Shops make up their own prices because the RRP printed on the back is in pounds, since most of the books sold here are imports.
Jane

eBook

Postby markdibley » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:27 pm

Hi

I'm glad there was a thread for this as I came here to discuss this. I usually buy my books from local bookshops, Sussex Bookshop or secondhand/charity shops.

However, the other day I spotted Unseen Academicals in Tesco for £3.50 reduced from £7.something. I thought about getting it, but I don't believe in buying books from such mass suppliers.

Then I thought about buying it from Amazon (through a shop link that means my favourite online radio station, Frukie, get's a little something for the transaction - so still supporting someone). Amazon has it reduced from £7.99 to £3.78. Another bargain price.

But then I thought it would be good to buy the ebook as I am one of the rare breed that is embracing electronic books. But then I saw the prices.

Waterstones £13.58
HarperCollins $19.00
Rbooks £7.34 (down from £8.16)
bookdepository.co.uk £14.24
Pickabook £16.14
Kobo books £5.75 (down from (£7.80)

Personally, I would have thought that the electronic version, which must be the cheapest format to produce, distribute and sell would have also been the most competitive. Sadly not.

I wouldn't want to "steal" from Mr Pratchett and I doubt he gets much from sales from suppliers like Amazon and Tesco, but those prices don't inspire me not to buy the ebook.

Does anyone else have problems with the prices of ebooks?
markdibley

Postby Dotsie » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:04 pm

Hi Mark :D I don't imagine Terry suffers from people buying their books from Tesco, in fact I would think his royalties would be the same across the board. And since he keeps having to move banks because he's filled them up, I'm sure he wouldn't begrudge you a bargain.

(By the way, it's "Sir" Terry :lol: )
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:14 pm

Welcome to the site, Mark. :D

Yes, you'd think that eBook formats would be a bargain price, wouldn't you? It's no wonder that so many people seem to go for pirated copies or illegal downloads from torrent sites.

I don't have a problem buying from Tesco - at least Terry gets royalties. He doesn't get them from second-hand books. But then I tend to buy first edition hardbacks from Tesco and tatty paperbacks of the same books (for everyday reading) from charity shops. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:51 pm

Welcome from me too :D
ShadowNinjaCat

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels