Just the flowers, ma'am

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Just the flowers, ma'am

Postby Zephyr » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:25 pm

I looked outside the window today and was happy to see we've finally got our spring colors!

I love taking photos of flowers, and usually have a fairly large photo album of seasonal flowers on my computer.

I'd like to see pictures of your flowers and foliage here - pictures of gardens, but specifically the plants. When your beautiful flowers bloom, or your fruit matures, take a picture, and tell us what kind it is and where it is. Kind of like the Day in the Life thread, but different in that it's a specific topic.

I know Tony will see lots of desert blooms in Tucson - hopefully he shoots a few while he's there. :D
Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. -Seneca
Zephyr

Postby Zephyr » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:30 pm

Took these this morning....

These are peach blossoms. The trees are very young yet, so I'll be surprised if we get any fruit from them.

This is Jessamine, native to the US Southern states, namely South Carolina, but widespread from Texas to Florida.

My azalea shrubs...I planted these in memory of my grandmother, who grew the most gorgeous and biggest azaleas I'd ever seen, down in Houston. My shrubs are only a year old, but I hope they grow like Grandma's did.

And this is either daffodils or narcissus...I didn't plant these, they're here because of our house's previous owner. They're cute, but I may replace them later with some big ol' monster irises.

My roses are still very small, but I can't wait until they start showing! I love growing hybrid tea roses, the really big long-stemmed ones you can smell from twenty feet away. :D
Zephyr

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:22 pm

Those are gorgeous! :D

And yes - I'll be happily snapping away when I get to Tucson. As Sharlene isn't able to join me on my walks, I always take a bunch of photos to show her when I'm out. We then have great fun identifying the flowers with a book that we have and this website of flowers in the Tucson area. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Fizz » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:24 pm

Very nice, while it is technically spring here in Southern Ontario, we have yet to have anything blossom in the way you have.

Our grass is finally turning green though, cheers for that.
"We are the people our parents warned us about." - Jimmy Buffet -

www.whitesnails.com
Fizz

Postby Ponder Stibbons » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:03 am

ice pics, Zepr. Te ellow oe looks like a Oleader(Pardo oi's spellig oi's keboard is brokee)
Smilies are friends, not food. Image
..............Now You See It, Now You Don't..............Image
Proud Copper Widow
Ponder Stibbons

Postby Zephyr » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:29 pm

Ah, the trees are finally sprouting leaves! Wandered around the peremeter of the property this morning to see who survived the winter. Lost my lemon and limes, but they were very young - may need to plant in planters this year rather than the garden. The fig looks fabulous! We'll have a large fig harvest again this year. The blackberry bush is coming up, too! Yay!
Zephyr

Postby Batty » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:38 pm

I haven't been able to prune my fig trees this year, and I'm not fit enough to do so at the moment.
This means that the tree will probably be over 40 feet high when it springs to life, and I'll have the whole town coming into my front garden to nick the lot!
I usually get about 150 figs per year, so I don't mind people picking them -providing they first ask for permission.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Catch-up » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:23 pm

Beautiful pics! I love close ups of flowers. Got a few at the butterfly exhibit. I would love to have a raspberry bush! Do they take up a lot of space? I also found out recently that we can grow paw paws here! I'd love to try that too, but I'm still trying to convince hubby the raspberry bush would be a good idea.
Catch-up

Postby Zephyr » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:51 pm

Batty wrote:I haven't been able to prune my fig trees this year, and I'm not fit enough to do so at the moment.
This means that the tree will probably be over 40 feet high when it springs to life, and I'll have the whole town coming into my front garden to nick the lot!
I usually get about 150 figs per year, so I don't mind people picking them -providing they first ask for permission.

OMG, Batty, me too! Last year after I had my leg surgery and was down for a few months, my husband had to hire a maid service and lawn service. I kept findng them around the fig tree, stealing my harvest. If they had asked, I would have said OK, but they didn't and it made me angry. Stupid people.
Zephyr

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:58 pm

Violet

Primroses

Not from my garden but the woods hope thats ok
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Postby meerkat » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:07 pm

Doughnut Jimmy wrote:Image
Violet

Primroses

Not from my garden but the woods hope thats ok

Always a lovely sight.
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:42 pm

Yup, spring is well and truly here
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Postby cols » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:40 pm

Zepher those pics are amazing :D
cols

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:09 am

Great to see some colour over there, DJ. I took a walk around the apartment complex yesterday and took some flower photos, which I'll try and post soon. 8)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Zephyr » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:59 am

Wildflowers are beautiful too! :D A garden Mother Nature planted herself.
Zephyr

Next

Return to The Broken Drum