Alice in Wonderland

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Lady Vetinari » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:00 pm

I think we will have to agree to disagree - I have comfort zones myself and I understand Burton's desire to remain in his .... Also I like to formula. I like to know what I am going to get and what I am paying for, I loved all the bits with Depp in it ... I wanted to see the film BECAUSE of Johnny Depp!
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:14 pm

I tend to prefer variety over comfort myself, but I will agree entirely with Lady Vee in this - Burton is a daring esoteric director and Depp is literally a phenomenon as an A-lister (in that he refuses to play a 'type' and doesn't live in the 'superstar' rathole aka Los Angeles and associated celluloid ghettoes). Artistically they 'match' each other and work well together (I note people aren't moaning about Helena BC working with Burton all the time... :wink: ). And in fact they don't work together 'all the time' - well Depp doesn't anyway. Other directors don't necessarily 'get' him so well as Burton that's all.

I saw the film in 3D today - the dance I thought was a little off in terms of 'tone' with the rest of the film, but nevertheless in context with the Mad Hatter's personality. Everything people are saying against this I absolutely loved - do we really need to be told the original tale again - :roll: No thanks! The storylining and screenplay were well thought out and plausible in the right way which is bonkers for this. :lol:

I don't know that the film particularly 'needed' 3D as such (I saw Avatar in 3D a few weeks back and that certainly did make the very most of Hollywood's 'latest' new thing). The 'normal' CGI visual atmospherics were intelligent as well as impressive and I can't fault how the storyline and locations matched up to the edgy spin this brave sequel on Alice's legacy (and paid fitting tribute to Lewis Carroll's creativity - who wasn't the pervert many people now view him as). A lovely plug too for my adopted county - Antony House (where Alice fled the horrible Lord in the gazebo) and at the harbour at the end of the film (Charlestown). They're even more beautiful in real life :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby LilMissLunatic » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:41 pm

Being a die hard Alice fan ever since I was a wee lass, I actually enjoyed the film more than I thought I would, I went to the cinema prepared for disappointment but had none... I loved the way Johnny Depp portrayed the Hatter, especially with the deep, sinister scottish accent, the only thing I didn't like was the dance he did at the end... But then when Alice did it after returning to the real world it made me smile, showing ones ankles was so not "the done thing" in polite society back then!
After a while the bedsprings went glink.

And shortly after that, for Corporal Carrot, the Disc-world moved. And didn't even bother to stop to cancel the bread and newspapers.
LilMissLunatic

Postby Lady Vetinari » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:54 pm

Well if he DIDN'T do that dance I would have been annoyed as I would be forever wondering what a Fatterwhack was! So I am pleased it was shown personally I found it funny ... apart from the head going clockwise independantly on its own but that is a nod to Beetlejuice when he does that in the film I suppose - there were plenty of people in that film that had never worked with TB before ... Anne Hathaway, Barbara Windsor, Stephen Fry, the actress that played Alice.

Helena Bonham Carter is Tim Burton missus - I reckon she has threatened divorce and no seeing the kids if he doesn't cast her ... :lol:

Lady Vetinari

Postby LilMissLunatic » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:26 pm

LOL well it's what I would do if I were married to a famous director! XD
After a while the bedsprings went glink.

And shortly after that, for Corporal Carrot, the Disc-world moved. And didn't even bother to stop to cancel the bread and newspapers.
LilMissLunatic

Postby mystmoon » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:02 pm

I agree that it would have been annoying if we'd never seen the fatterwhack dance, it just seemed out of place for everyone to suddenly start popping and locking, there was no reason for the fatterwhack dance to even be in the film.
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:12 pm

When they first said the name of the dance I thought he had swore :lol: .I thought the dance was creepy-wierd and was out of place with Wonderland.I would imagine them to dance like folk dance type-ish dances there(like when they were dancing by the white queen).
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby Lady Vetinari » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:48 pm

I don't think so ... Considering Wonderland is, said by some, to be drug enduced - that looks very trippy to me ... seems I am the only one that liked it!

Lady Vetinari

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:26 pm

Well he IS the Mad Hatter and they were glue-sniffers and mercury ingesters because of the nature of their trade, so it had to be mad. It does 'fit' him... :lol:

It was the music that was really out of place and it spoilt the 'oddness' and took down the left fieldness of the dance. If the dance and the music had contrasted then it would have been funny and 'right' - as it was it ended up making it a 'contemporary' joke because it was too justified :twisted:

Or am I going mad...? :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tiffany » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:05 pm

No you aren't Lady Vetinari.
I saw Alice last week in 3D with my friend. We both thought it was brilliant, couldn't fault it at all. We did realise before we saw it it would be totally different to any Alice done before & it was. Johnny Depp, amazing! Cor!!
The Cheshire cat marvelous, Tweedle Dum & Dee, ditto. Red Queen, very over the top, but it worked.
And it was made not far from me either, at the lovely Antony House.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby meerkat » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:56 pm

Tiffany wrote:No you aren't Lady Vetinari.
I saw Alice last week in 3D with my friend. We both thought it was brilliant, couldn't fault it at all. We did realise before we saw it it would be totally different to any Alice done before & it was. Johnny Depp, amazing! Cor!!
The Cheshire cat marvelous, Tweedle Dum & Dee, ditto. Red Queen, very over the top, but it worked.
And it was made not far from me either, at the lovely Antony House.

I raved, Lady V. I thought it was good, ran close enough to the book, the poems quoted were right and at one point I was trying to work out who was CGI and who wasn't! Brilliant! Loved the fact that the red queens soldiers were cards and the white queens were chess pieces.
I also loved the pending decapitation scene. Very good, very clever!

I would like to see it in 2D though, as I thought 3D wasn't really necessary.
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby FairyGirl » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:11 pm

I can`t find my heart at last time... Maybe I losed it in McDonalds? :D No! I forgetted my heart in Hatter`s cup :roll:
FairyGirl

Postby jaquestyras » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:56 am

It is still worth the high price of the 3-D admission to see some of the amazing animation and design, but the writing is extremely boring and clumsy, and the performances cannot save it. Too many liberties were taken with the originals here, and in no way improve upon them, it only barely resembles either of Carroll's books in theme and some specific scenes. There are some "Disney moments" that literally set off a gag reflex as well.
jaquestyras

Postby michelanCello » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:35 am

Welcome, Fairy Girl! Nice Avatar!! :D
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Tiffany » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:06 pm

Lady Vetinari wrote:Well if he DIDN'T do that dance I would have been annoyed as I would be forever wondering what a Fatterwhack was! So I am pleased it was shown personally I found it funny ... apart from the head going clockwise independantly on its own but that is a nod to Beetlejuice when he does that in the film I suppose - there were plenty of people in that film that had never worked with TB before ... Anne Hathaway, Barbara Windsor, Stephen Fry, the actress that played Alice.

Helena Bonham Carter is Tim Burton missus - I reckon she has threatened divorce and no seeing the kids if he doesn't cast her ... :lol:

Me as well. :lol:
Got the DVD & watched it Monday evening with my friend, we both noticed things in it we hadn't seen at the cinema. It was OK in 2D too.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre