Twoflower's Eyes

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Twoflower's Eyes

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:54 pm

Twoflower.Does he wear glasses or does he really have four eyes?
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:00 pm

I think he wears glasses, will have to look up the description again though
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:01 pm

I think there is a literally 4-eyed Twoflower in Josh Kirby's cover illustration on the UK paperback of Light Fantastic (or perhaps CoM) but he also did another where he was definitely wearing specs.

When I first read CoM the novel approach and the fact that one pair of eyes were never seemingly taken off I visualised Twoflower as having 4 proper eyes, but it does look weird :P
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:24 pm

LSpace Annotations wrote:- [p. 16/16] "[...] found himself looking up into a face with four eyes in it."

On the covers of the first two Discworld books, Josh Kirby actually drew Twoflower with four physical eyes. Consensus on alt.fan.pratchett has it that Terry was trying to get across the fact that Twoflower was wearing glasses ('four-eyes' being a common insult thrown at bespectacled folks), but that Josh Kirby simply triggered on the literal text and went off in a direction of his own. Whether this action essentially shows Kirby's interpretative genius (the KirbyFan explanation) or his inability to get the joke / read very carefully (the NonKirbyFan explanation) is a matter still under discussion.

I'm not sure where I read it now, but I remember reading that Terry said to Josh something like: 'Did you have kids in school who wore glasses? What did everyone call them?' :lol:

I think that the suggestion is that Twoflower wore glasses rather than actually having four eyes.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:42 pm

I certainly read it as Twoflower having spectacles :wink:
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:42 pm

Thanks for the answers :D .When I read it I imagined him wearing glasses...I like him better with glasses then four eyes :wink:
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby cici88 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:06 am

ShadowNinjaCat wrote:Thanks for the answers :D .When I read it I imagined him wearing glasses...I like him better with glasses then four eyes :wink:

I feel a little inconsistent for your words,with glasses then four eyes,if he wears glasses, called 4-eyed man, isn't?
cici88

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:44 pm

Welcome cici88 :D

I must say though, I don't understand what you mean :oops:
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:16 pm

ShadowNinjaCat wrote:Welcome cici88 :D

I must say though, I don't understand what you mean :oops:
It wasn't just me then?

Welcome to the site! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:16 pm

Is it written in the books that Twoflower had glasses? When I read ColourOfMagic I thought he had 4 eyes.. he came from a distant almost legendary place at the time and he was instantly recognised as a stranger.. and in the cover of COM he had 4 eyes too
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:02 pm

Josh Kirby went for the literal interpretation Crys - but it's open to interpretation as Terry did mean Twoflower wore glasses. :wink:

A schoolyard insult in the UK for kids with glasses is to call them 'Speccy Four Eyes'.... :cry:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:07 pm

4 eyes = somebody who wears glasses, which is what I'm sure Twoflower wore, though the memory lets me down with regard to the Sky movie version.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:31 pm

Sean Astin wears glasses/sunglasses in CoM and the usual two eyes underneath :lol:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Dotsie » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:39 pm

And wasn't there a reference in Interesting Times to him wearing glasses?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:42 pm

And no mention of his children having 4 eyes :lol:
Jan Van Quirm

Next

Return to Discworld novels