David Eddings

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Fizz » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:47 pm

I have agree with wicked woman.

While I enjoyed the Belgariad series, I found that Eddings was too deeply entrenched with the "kitchen-boy" genre for me to keep coming back as a regular.

That being said, "kitchen-boy" or as I sometimes refer to this style of writing "bubble-gum fantasy" certainly has a place. At times I actively seek out something light and fun filled. There is something very filling about watching a young boy grow up and getting involved with wizards and warriors far beyond his own tiny farm world.

It all depends on what kind of mood you're in. So many types of fantasy, for so many types of moods. Cheers.
"We are the people our parents warned us about." - Jimmy Buffet -

www.whitesnails.com
Fizz

Postby Lady Vetinari » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:17 pm

I don't like my fantasy too heavy which is why I am surprised I like Cecilia Dart Thornton as she is really atmospheric and heavy going.

I like humour and camaraderie in fantasy though I despised Elenium and Tamuli - did not even finish Elenium ....

I loved Elder Gods BECAUSE it was so much like Belgariad. I prefer people who stick with their formula - as it works for them. I also like 'little farm-boy - Reluctant King and World Saviour' stories.
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Previous

Return to Non-Discworld books