How did you discover Discworld/Terry Pratchett?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

How did you discover Discworld/Terry Pratchett?

Postby Fizz » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:56 pm

I am new here and I tried to find a similar thread but I couldn't, so sorry if i missed it and this is just a repeat.

I discovered Pratchett quite recently. I've been aware of his work for years but I just never felt the urge to pick up any of his novels.

I am taking a 20th C. Children's Lit. course and one of his children's novels: The Amazing Maurice is on the course list. I finished it and absolutely loved it. I now have Colour of Magic waiting to be read on my TBR pile.

Cheers.
Fizz

Postby chuffed » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:29 pm

Erm... Can't totally remember really, was so long ago! guess I was about 16-17?? and saw colour of magic and light fantastic in a shop got them and read everyone since! was 20 years ago if the ages are right, might have been a few more books out at the time really not sure!
chuffed

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:58 pm

I've been reading Discworld since Colour of Magic when my brother kept on insisting that "I simply MUST read this book."

I've got every one as it came out since. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby theoldlibrarian » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:09 pm

Here's a similar thread if you're interested.
It is not enough to succeed, others must fail
-Gore Vidal
theoldlibrarian

Postby Cheery » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:14 pm

Well, I found Men At Arms in our bookshelf at home, read it and loved it! Then I discovered we had the other ones too :lol:

EDIT: Sorry, forgot something: I got absulutely addicted to it and not long after I started buying the english versions. :lol: That was... oh, around three to four years ago? Still haven't read all of them :oops:
Last edited by Cheery on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheery

Postby raisindot » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:40 pm

Mine was totally by accident.

I was perusing my local library looking for an Ann Pratchett book and a copy of "Thief of Time" happened to be right next to it. Had never heard of Pterry or the DW series. Thought at first that Tony Hillerman's book of the same name had been misplaced there, but then read the jacket and gave it a try. Been hooked ever since.

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:03 pm

A friend of my sister lent her their book and when she visited me I saw the cover(yes I am ashamed to say I tend to judge books by the cover :oops: )and thought this looks cool and started reading it .It was Thud, it was awesome and so I now am trying to read all the books.
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby Fizz » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:06 pm

I remember trying to read a Terry Pratchett book a long, long, time ago, but for some reason it did not take. I think it might have been that I was too young. I don't know which book it was but it was one of the brightly coloured covers with all the characters and I remember very distinctly that the figure of DEATH was in the foreground. I picked it up for that reason alone but I only read a few pages and set it aside because I didn't understand the world. Ah well. Reading Colour of Magic now, and I love that I have many, many, many, books ahead of me to look forward to. Cheers.
"We are the people our parents warned us about." - Jimmy Buffet -

www.whitesnails.com
Fizz

Postby mystmoon » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:39 pm

I started by reading the graphic novels of The Light Fantastic and Mort, then reading the actual books afterwards.
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby theoldlibrarian » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:41 pm

theoldlibrarian wrote:Here's a similar thread if you're interested.

Whoops that was stupid, HERE
It is not enough to succeed, others must fail
-Gore Vidal
theoldlibrarian

Postby The_Discworldaholic » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:34 pm

god i wish i could remember now what started me on his books but i do remember it was the colour of magic that started it all off for me.
The_Discworldaholic

Postby king dwarf » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:17 pm

i had heard about terry pratchett but never read any of his books.then i read mort and have been hooked ever since
king dwarf

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:32 pm

Saw the advertising poster for Going Postal on the train station every day, and wondered what it was all about.

Bought it, and was thoroughly confused until I realised that I just had to switch of my Normality Mode.

Asked around the web about him, and some kind person on Point of View boards listed the books in order of publication.

I ordered them in publication order 3 at a time from Play.com, and went through the whole back catalogue within about six weeks.

Just re-read Witches Abroad - god, it's funny!!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby HollyOgg » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:39 am

My Aunt got me hooked on Discworld. I was staying with her and she put the old animated Soul Music on, and I quite enjoyed it. She gave me all her old copies, as she had updated to some beautiful hardbacks, and I became hooked! I don't have them all, but I have quite a few now! :D
Il Porcupino Nil Sodomy Est.
HollyOgg

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:12 am

HollyOgg wrote:My Aunt got me hooked on Discworld. I was staying with her and she put the old animated Soul Music on, and I quite enjoyed it. She gave me all her old copies, as she had updated to some beautiful hardbacks, and I became hooked! I don't have them all, but I have quite a few now! :D
Welcome to the site, Holly Ogg! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Next

Return to Terry Pratchett